Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:23:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recovering hacked accounts or accounts with lost passwords  (Read 78209 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12877

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:45:09 AM
Last edit: December 26, 2018, 03:48:59 PM by theymos
Merited by Vod (5), OgNasty (1), roda00 (1)

This is obsolete, see here instead.

If you use any sort of Google email service, then the password recovery email will go to your spam folder.

If you want us to recover a hacked/lost account, you need to prove that you own it. Typically, the only acceptable method of proving ownership is by signing a message (including current date and desired new email address) using a Bitcoin address or PGP key associated with the account. A Bitcoin address or PGP key is associated with the account only if the account posted the key/address, sent it in a PM, or if it is still listed in the account's profile.

I very rarely recover accounts if you can't prove ownership as described above. There are alternative ways of proving ownership, but they take too much time. If I point you to this thread, you can't prove ownership properly, and then I ignore your future PMs, this means that I'm not going to recover your account. Create a new one.

Send one PM to Cyrus. If Cyrus doesn't respond after two weeks, you can try sending a PM to me instead. When sending a PM, use a template like this:

-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
My account <account> has been hacked/lost. Please reset the email to <email>. The current date is <date>.
-----BEGIN SIGNATURE-----
<insert address here>
<insert signature here>
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Here is the unedited post where I posted that address: ...
OR
I sent that address to someone in a PM with PM ID#...

All required info must be in one PM.

Do not create your temporary account using the same email address you want for the hacked/lost account. No two accounts can have the same email address.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: