Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:38:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGOX Statement *NEW MAR 3RD*  (Read 9133 times)
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:14:49 AM

Given he apparently left France in a hurry, moving to Japan practically over night after his employers accused him of computer fraud, I think there is valid reason to suspect that it's more than incompetence, and that illegal activity on his part here is likely.
That's interesting. Do you have any reference for this, even if it's just a reference to a rumour?
Ah, I've seen http://gawker.com/does-mt-goxs-ceo-have-a-secret-history-of-online-payme-1534752110 now - is that the one?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:24:01 AM

He's been handling MTGOX for years now with no major problems and now because he has a small issue it's reached a point where he can't hide it anymore everybody wants to crucify him.
FTFY.

Or were you being sarcastic?
spin

Activity: 362
Merit: 261

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:37:51 AM

They still need someone to write things CLEARLY.

My thoughts:
Apology first.  (though this may be a cultural thing)
Liabilities: provide breakdown?  At what price? Currency? Breakdown of liabilities by currency?
What is the increase?  Who is the expert(s)?
Comment On the same day seems to refer to an earlier statement but it is unclear what it refers to.  What happened on that same day?  The investigation?  All that seems unclear is that they do not seem to be able to tell when they found out about the gap (trying to avoid jail time?)

Clear as mud...

If you liked this post buy me a beer.  Beers are quite cheap where I live!
bc1q707guwp9pc73r08jw23lvecpywtazjjk399daa
techstorm3

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:44:25 AM

No one could be that incompetent, losing 800K btc, if it looks like fraud, smells like fraud and sounds like fraud, guess what!!

Wink
Mowcore

Activity: 592
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:48:05 AM

Given he apparently left France in a hurry, moving to Japan practically over night after his employers accused him of computer fraud, I think there is valid reason to suspect that it's more than incompetence, and that illegal activity on his part here is likely.
That's interesting. Do you have any reference for this, even if it's just a reference to a rumour?
Ah, I've seen http://gawker.com/does-mt-goxs-ceo-have-a-secret-history-of-online-payme-1534752110 now - is that the one?

Fuck Gawker comments..

Humble Weekly Bundle.Pay What You Want. Redeem on Steam. Support charity. Pay with BTCitcoin now!--> Paypal Sad
loewen.brad

Activity: 196

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:02:00 PM

I'm still gonna have to go with the incompetence argument. After all... Mt. Gox WAS originally created as a website for people to trade Magic: The Gathering cards with each other. Not EXACTLY something that takes a masters degree in business and economics to run properly, which is precisely what someone who heads a multi-million dollar financial institution should have.

BTC Donation address: 1C9kFrgD4iHRnH7p86HaAQ5oSaEuzqmjf8
XIV Donation address: XErCR9BXh2oVXBy2Yh48qcRaX9tdDCRH5J
BitcoinObmen

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:57:16 PM

There are just 2 realististic possibilities:

1. Mark Karpeles stole it
2. Somebody else from MtGox stole it.

The whole "there was a hacker, who used a bug to steal the Money"-Argument is just stupid.

+1
Loozik

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:59:43 PM

I'm still gonna have to go with the incompetence argument.

The incompetence argument (nice, naive fatty guy, probably incompetent) was created with fabricated ''leaks'', released on the right moments directed to the right people (the clueless ones):
- IRC chat discussions
- recovery plan
- business plan
- etc

The incompetence argument was so frequently used that it got imprinted in our brains. The incompetence served only as distraction for us so that we would never see that the grand theft of $ 0.5 billion was happening.
Zeeks

Activity: 180

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:01:06 PM

Anyone who even starts to believe any of that for even a moment ought to drop by service discussion or r/bitcoin and see how people are uncovering hundreds of thousands of bitcoins still sitting untouched in MtGOX wallets. As if somehow no one would notice.
donking

Activity: 38
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:17:02 PM

I can not see any way justice being served and Mark Gox coming out of this ordeal with any coins to his name.
davida

Activity: 585

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:22:50 PM

So, for less than 30 million usd technically a new owner could step in and restore all mtgox balances and continue business as normal?  (i say normal, obviously would have a lot of trust to regain)   

Surely in the long term some smart investors would be all over that???

BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 01:33:51 PM

Interesting is this might be one of first cases where bitcoins would be seriously taken as assets. I don't like some of changes force in all of this statements but i bet they get good enough lawyers for that. Ironically there wouldn't be so many problems if maybe they bought themselves insurance or store data off-line. Or maybe just limit on bitcoins stored on people accounts. At some point they were not only exchange but also bank in some way.

ab8989

Activity: 209
Merit: 101

FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 01:50:19 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 02:04:02 PM by ab8989

(1) As of now, the liabilities of MtGox Co., Ltd exceed its assets and its financial situation is as follows:
Total amount of assets    3,841,866,163
Total amount of current liabilities    6,501,119,371

This statement looks horribly unprofessional. Why is there no indication of which currency is used? I assume those are yen, but I should not have to guess whether they are yen or not!!!

If we convert the numbers to USD by approximately dividing by 100 we get that the assets are 38MUSD and liabilities 65MUSD.

The numbers from crisis memo were fiat assets 32MUSD and liabilities 55MUSD. We are in the same ballpark so that gives some indication that assumption the statement was in yen might have been correct.

However I took the numbers from the crisis draft without BTC. That indicates the effect of the lost 750kBTC is not included at all! Using USD500/BTC gives an additional liability of 375MUSD or 37,500,000,000 yen which is not included in the statement today!!!

I am out of ideas for any alternative explanation how these numbers could make any sense at all in some other way.
exocytosis

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:54:57 PM

Word.
exocytosis

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:59:46 PM

"These are now investigated by an expert"
I just hope that this single "expert" has any idea what bitcoin is.

The expert is called Mark Karpeles.
electronistul

Activity: 160

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:28:09 PM

I'm fascinated how nobody reports back on this forum (or I'm idiotic enough to not have found the relevant thread around here yet) on telephone inquiries.
I mean, ffs, they did list a couple of telephone numbers on their "press release", one of them was for English speaking customers, some thousand people must have already called over there - did they say anything at all ?!
I would probably pop only the relevant Qs at hand:
- "Will MtGox reimburse anything ?"
- "Will I get back a fraction of the fiat/BTC I had on my account at the time you wiped the site off the internet ?"
- "Was Karpeles buying some ~6k coins on Stamp earlier today so he could free his family from wrongdoers ?"
- "Are you (the telephone operator) gay ?"
- "Does God exist?"
... and some others I can swiftly think of ...  Undecided
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:32:37 PM

I'm fascinated how nobody reports back on this forum (or I'm idiotic enough to not have found the relevant thread around here yet) on telephone inquiries.
I mean, ffs, they did list a couple of telephone numbers on their "press release", one of them was for English speaking customers, some thousand people must have already called over there - did they say anything at all ?!
- "Will I get back a fraction of the fiat/BTC I had on my account at the time you wiped the site off the internet ?"
- "Was Karpeles buying some ~6k coins on Stamp earlier today so he could free his family from wrongdoers ?"
- "Does God exist?"

Someone did report last evening on a different thread. All they did was refer him to the website.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:41:40 PM

- "Does God exist?"

Here a link to a Gox call center conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HJt-MpoTP4

frito

Activity: 129

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:00:49 PM

- "Does God exist?"

Here a link to a Gox call center conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HJt-MpoTP4
sounds like karpeleses nurse moonlighting
frito

Activity: 129

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:03:43 PM

In order to increase repayments to our creditors, it is necessary to explore the possibility of having MtGox Co., Ltd. continue its business. This is why the civil rehabilitation procedure has been chosen, Rebuilding MtGox Co., Ltd under the supervision of the court in a legally organized procedure while giving proper explanations will not be for the sole benefit of the company but for that of the whole bitcoin community.
All efforts will now be made to restore the business and recover damages to repay debts to creditors. We hope for the understanding and cooperation of all.

I wanna be a shareholder and change the firm name to fritoX
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: