Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 12:27:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB] 3 BTC for USPS money order at BitStamp rate (or make offer)  (Read 1093 times)
xtpu (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:40:46 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2014, 08:01:04 PM by xtpu

I'm looking to buy 3 BTC paying with USPS money order. As this is my first transaction on Bitcoin Talk, I am prepared to send the money order to you first, and you can send me BTC after you have cashed / deposited it. Because of this, you must have a good reputation! I would prefer a regular seller. I would also be prepared to work with a reputable escrow.

The BitStamp rate seems to be the most widely used, that I have seen, but if this rate is for some reason unacceptable to you, make me an offer. I'm mostly looking to buy because I'm curious about Bitcoin, so I don't mind being flexible with the exchange rate (within reason).

Thanks!

Trade is pending with user "tagged"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tagged

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:26:04 AM

I will sell for Bitstamp +8%. We can use escrow if you would like, see the link in my signature line (180+ trade partners, 100% positive feedback). Because of price swings we would have to settle on how much when I physically receive and am able to cash the USPS Money Orders.

Send me a PM if you would like to trade (or open a "buy local contract on my localbitcoins ad)
harkonnen

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:32:22 AM

I'm looking to buy 3 BTC paying with USPS money order. As this is my first transaction on Bitcoin Talk, I am prepared to send the money order to you first, and you can send me BTC after you have cashed / deposited it. Because of this, you must have a good reputation! I would prefer a regular seller. I would also be prepared to work with a reputable escrow.

The BitStamp rate seems to be the most widely used, that I have seen, but if this rate is for some reason unacceptable to you, make me an offer. I'm mostly looking to buy because I'm curious about Bitcoin, so I don't mind being flexible with the exchange rate (within reason).

Thanks!

Just buy it from coinbase.com. It takes many days to verify, and move your fund, but much safer.
juergenschneider

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:36:34 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 02:47:58 PM by juergenschneider

I will sell for Bitstamp +8%. We can use escrow if you would like, see the link in my signature line (180+ trade partners, 100% positive feedback). Because of price swings we would have to settle on how much when I physically receive and am able to cash the USPS Money Orders.

Send me a PM if you would like to trade (or open a "buy local contract on my localbitcoins ad)

Not wanting to sound too presumptuous but I just want to give a word of warning about spurious money orders which clear (first) and are recalled (later, usually after a few weeks or even months) when the bank discovers they were not honored after having been found to be non-existent or originally printed somewhere overseas or fraudulent. There have been reports about how checks or money orders will clear and show on the account as available and later bounce--- then the bank holds the account owner responsible and fully liable for the outstanding amount, without prejudice to the bank's further right to press charges.

The fraudulent checks (usually cashier's checks) and money orders have been found to be of a very high caliber.

http://abt.cm/1n1uwnQ

The OP might have legitimate intentions and I apologize if this is the case but then again I am sharing this with good intentions too.

tagged

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:50:12 PM

Not wanting to sound too presumptuous but I just want to give a word of warning about spurious money orders which clear (first) and are recalled (later, usually after a few weeks or even months) when the bank discovers they were not honored after having been found to be non-existent or originally printed somewhere overseas or fraudulent. There have been reports about how checks or money orders will clear and show on the account as available and later bounce--- then the bank holds the account owner responsible and fully liable for the outstanding amount, without prejudice to the bank's further right to press charges.

The fraudulent checks (usually cashier's checks) and money orders have been found to be of a very high caliber.

The OP might have legitimate intentions and I apologize if this is the case but then again I am sharing this with good intentions too.

I think it is great to keep getting this info out there. I worked in banking for 17 years and have several ways to verify a Postal Money Order, and told OP that I could settle on price once I was able to cash the MO.   Thank you for putting additional caution out there however, saw way to much fraud in my time!
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:08:36 AM

I think it is great to keep getting this info out there. I worked in banking for 17 years and have several ways to verify a Postal Money Order, and told OP that I could settle on price once I was able to cash the MO.   Thank you for putting additional caution out there however, saw way to much fraud in my time!

OP could send the seller a picture of the receipt that the USPS provides when the money order is purchased in order to help substantiate it's validity.  Also, if the money order is redeemed at a branch of the USPS, instead of deposited into your bank account, don't they look it up in their system to verify that it is valid?

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
xtpu (OP)

Activity: 9

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 08:01:42 PM

Trade is pending with user "tagged"
tagged

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 01:19:26 PM

Thanks for the trade!
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:23:56 AM

Curious about this. If you go to the post office and get cash is that reversible somehow? 

shawshankinmate37927

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 08:25:10 AM

Curious about this. If you go to the post office and get cash is that reversible somehow?

I don't think there is any way to make a fiat payment any more irreversable than a cash transaction.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 09:22:50 AM

I don't think there is any way to make a fiat payment any more irreversable than a cash transaction.

I mean cashing a money order at the post office (as opposed to depositing it through a bank, as was mentioned earlier on the thread). I think they ask for ID so theoretically they could come after you to get the cash back if it turned out the money order was no good. Is that possible? I have no idea.

shawshankinmate37927

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 11:22:34 AM

I mean cashing a money order at the post office (as opposed to depositing it through a bank, as was mentioned earlier on the thread). I think they ask for ID so theoretically they could come after you to get the cash back if it turned out the money order was no good. Is that possible? I have no idea.

Yes, the post office will confirm that the money order is valid and that you are the intended recipient (the person that the money order is made payable to) by checking your ID before giving you the cash.  It's the post office's responsibility to ensure that it's valid before redeeming it.  If they fail to do that and find out later that the money order is no good, then that's their loss, not mine, as far as I'm concerned.

IANAL, but it seems to me that they would have to sue me in civil court if they felt I was responsible for their dereliction of duty and the resulting financial loss.  I'm pretty sure a counterfeit money order would also be a matter for the criminal courts.  If they contacted me to inform me that the money order was a counterfeit, then I would be happy to assist them with their investigation and help them find the scammer, but I would not be willing to assume financial responsibility for their mistake.

tagged

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:01:38 PM

Yes, the post office will confirm that the money order is valid and that you are the intended recipient (the person that the money order is made payable to) by checking your ID before giving you the cash.  It's the post office's responsibility to ensure that it's valid before redeeming it.  If they fail to do that and find out later that the money order is no good, then that's their loss, not mine, as far as I'm concerned.

IANAL, but it seems to me that they would have to sue me in civil court if they felt I was responsible for their dereliction of duty and the resulting financial loss.  I'm pretty sure a counterfeit money order would also be a matter for the criminal courts.  If they contacted me to inform me that the money order was a counterfeit, then I would be happy to assist them with their investigation and help them find the scammer, but I would not be willing to assume financial responsibility for their mistake.

Speaking truth here. I have cashed plenty of checks at the PO, never had a problem, never seen a counter fit while doing it this way. I used to work in retail banking and saw plenty of counter fix MOs, which is why I dont take to the bank.  I also receive a fair amount of cash to my PO box.  Always send with a tracking number!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: