Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:30:16 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice Needed For Buying Bitcoins  (Read 848 times)
surftime (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:44:29 PM

Hi I am fairly new to bitcoins, just got my first miner but am looking to top up my bitcoin wallet a bit.

I am looking for exchanges where it's possible through whatever means to purchase through credit/debit card. I know this is frowned upon somewhat and I have heard of Virwox but their limits are below the amount I am looking to buy. Considerable below.

Can anyone help?
coin5l1

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:05:30 PM

I bought some from Virwox today, fee's are high and after you've paid they helpfully tell you, that you have to wait 48 hours to receive payment.

https://www.btcquick.com is another one, but the verification company they use asks for literally all your internet banking information (login/pass/2nd pass)

I guess the best rates through card payment would be Western union if your buying a large amount, you should be able to find sellers on localbitcoins
surftime (OP)

Activity: 15

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:19:20 PM

Many thanks for your response, greatly appreciated. Western union has limits though? I am looking in the region of 20+ BTC
jzcjca00

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:27:01 PM

Hi I am fairly new to bitcoins, just got my first miner but am looking to top up my bitcoin wallet a bit.

I am looking for exchanges where it's possible through whatever means to purchase through credit/debit card. I know this is frowned upon somewhat and I have heard of Virwox but their limits are below the amount I am looking to buy. Considerable below.

Can anyone help?

The answer depends on what country you are in.  If you're in the U.S., I recommend Coinbase.  You might not get the best possible rate, but if anything goes wrong, at least you can sue them fairly easily.  And they seem less shady than most exchanges, which means things are less likely to go wrong.

Tips much appreciated! 1PPJHDawPvjh6MEzsvXrMYLgpLmyAaNXUc
coin5l1

Activity: 98

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:32:43 PM

On their site it states the first 2 transactions are limited at £400 for the third transaction it goes up to £4000. Nothings mentioned about after that, not completely sure on the exact current BTC rate. But that'd allow you to buy around 13 in 3 days.
Check the sending fees beforehand though, they are usually very steep.
Like the previous poster said, it does depend allot on the country your from.
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:28:50 PM

Why not go thru the localbitcoins route?
Takes longer to accumulate but he benefits are self evident

CrashX

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:46:13 PM

Coinbase allows you to purchase using Credit card, you do required to be verified.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:49:35 PM

Many thanks for your response, greatly appreciated. Western union has limits though? I am looking in the region of 20+ BTC

BitSimple can do 20+ BTC but you would need to fund by bankwire.  I don't think you are going to find anyone is going to let you purchase that much using a credit card for the obvious fraud reasons.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:50:13 PM

Coinbase allows you to purchase using Credit card, you do required to be verified.

IIRC Coinbase allows using credit card as "backup funding" for instant purchases in the event the ACH is denied.  There is no option to purchase using CC directly.
bitvestor

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 12:12:25 PM

Can anyone help?

You  can just buy from respected members or trusted dealers on the forum for cash and save yourself from the credit or debit card fee. You can also find people selling for cheap on localbitcoins.
mysidia

Activity: 93

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:24:17 AM

BitSimple can do 20+ BTC but you would need to fund by bankwire.  I don't think you are going to find anyone is going to let you purchase that much using a credit card for the obvious fraud reasons.

While credit cards  are convenient for buying things,  credit card purchases are not designed for transacting in cash.
Don't know of anyone allowing large debit card based exchange for BTC either.

Credit cards charge merchants a substantial % fee for large transactions.

Credit cards also allow for chargebacks.   Once bitcoins are paid, there is no such thing as chargeback.
So if it's discovered that the CC was a stolen one, and chargeback of a $20K transaction occurs,
the Bitcoin seller is on the hook and can't reverse payment to the thief.

As a result, there have to be lots of extra fees to cover the additional risks and costs for the merchant.

If you want to buy significant amounts of BTC in the long run,  you will want to pay by some other method,
such as by bank deposit, ETF, check, or wire

BTC: 1FbuJxZCeJUqrP7EpUkgMKWAmAA1M8gUBd
LTC: LbvomgbwKnqk47mWzALCDEoV8ydjxYYYpF
mine4fun2

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:24:19 PM

Most convenient way for me was with btc-e and OKPAY
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: