Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 12:15:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Britain to scrap VAT taxes on Bitcoin trades  (Read 1960 times)
anonuser777 (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:56:20 PM

The Financial Times is reporting that the UK is to scrap taxes on Bitcoin trading. Here's a small quote from the article (behind a paywall)

"In a meeting with a group of UK traders last week, HM Revenue & Customs said it would not charge the 20 per cent VAT tax on trades, which entrepreneurs had complained made their businesses globally uncompetitive. HMRC went a step further, saying it would not charge the tax on their margins either.

The ruling sidesteps the thorny question of whether to class Bitcoin as a currency, but effectively treats it as such, and bases its policy on the EU law that exempts payments and transfers of “negotiable instruments” from tax."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1b9f434e-a209-11e3-87f6-00144feab7de.html

Good to see pro-bitcoin policies being put in place in the UK. No doubt the City of London wants in on the trade.
hostmaster

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 02:57:02 PM

its interesting but necessary to pay taxes. I agree but it should be less.
grifferz

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:06:41 PM

Here's a link that isn't behind a paywall:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1b9f434e-a209-11e3-87f6-00144feab7de.html#axzz2ukj4xD3W

hostmaster, you may be misunderstanding what sort of tax this is. It isn't referring to income tax. It's referring to Value Added Tax, which is similar to a US Sales Tax.

The previous ruling from HMRC was that VAT would be due on the sale of bitcoins as if they were an object or service, thus increasing the cost by 20% to the end user. That is not how trade in traditional currencies is treated in the UK; that would normally be outside the scope of VAT.

The new ruling will treat bitcoin the same, which is obviously good news.
theecoinomist

Activity: 200

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:07:02 PM

VAT is necessary on bitcoin?!?!? get outta here

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:11:23 PM

spoke to HMRC last year

bitcoins was "out of scope" to of been VAT required so VAT was not needed before.

but atleast we now can 100% know that HMRC wont be requiring us to register for VAT officially now they have formally evaluated bitcoin. and all we have to do is pay income tax.

YAY its official

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
mz1000

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:50:17 PM

spoke to HMRC last year

bitcoins was "out of scope" to of been VAT required so VAT was not needed before.

but atleast we now can 100% know that HMRC wont be requiring us to register for VAT officially now they have formally evaluated bitcoin. and all we have to do is pay income tax.

YAY its official

I thought it was Capital Gains tax, not Income tax?
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:36:35 PM

It'll be capital gains for long term holders cashing out I presume.

Here's a summary from Reddit

Income from miners is VAT exempt

Charges for arranging transactions in crypto-currencies is VAT exempt

Crypto-currencies transferred to fiat is VAT exempt

VAT due as normal for selling goods/services paid in crypto-currencies (calculated in GBP at point of transaction)

Corporation Tax: no special rules apply, it will be treated as foreign exchange and loan relationships

Income Tax: business profits from crypto-currencies taxed as normal income

Capital Gains: gains or losses from crypto-currencies allowable as CG for an individual or corporation tax for a business

Gambling gains are not taxable although losses cannot be offset against other gains
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:49:18 PM

no no no, cant you lot read or atleast research.

capital gains is the about the " tax on margins " that the OP post mentions..again exempt

you only have to pay tax on your income..

for business this is corporation tax (dont confuse it with capital gains)
for personal its income tax.

please research properly and dont speculate when it comes to tax

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:53:55 PM

So if I bought bitcoins with pounds and sold them for pounds, would I have to pay CGT on that? What about bitcoins I received from other people?
grifferz

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 07:29:51 PM

So if I bought bitcoins with pounds and sold them for pounds, would I have to pay CGT on that?
No, you'd pay income tax on your profit (or corp tax on your profit, if you're a business).

What about bitcoins I received from other people?
If you're given a gift and then you sell it, there's no tax on that.

But if trading bitcoins is your business (as a sole trader or actual incorporated business) then you need to pay tax on the profit.

I am not an accountant and this is not tax advice so if in doubt ask your accountant / HMRC.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 07:40:14 PM

capital gains tax is only on legitimate financial products/contracts. such as stocks and shares. capital gains tax and bitcoins are not even in the same ballpark to be seen playing together.

Kruncha

Activity: 644

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 07:51:59 PM

Go UK!!

Some good news is always welcome Smiley

K.
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 07:53:35 PM

I am not an accountant and this is not tax advice so if in doubt ask your accountant / HMRC.

I'm very sure most accountants would not have a clue about bitcoin. I did speak to one once who told me they would have no idea. Maybe there are accountants out there with deep understanding of bitcoin tax issues, but I'm guessing they are difficult to find.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 07:55:40 PM

great news!

mz1000

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:49:58 PM

no no no, cant you lot read or atleast research.

calm down. I did research old topics and people were saying Capital Gains tax, that's why i asked.

------

I've never had to fill in tax forms so i don't know about this stuff.
hyunsookmom

Activity: 420

Kamehameha!!!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:01:53 PM

STFU

anonuser777 (OP)

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:08:12 PM

STFU

lol. +1 on that.

No need for taxes. Govt can print all the fiat it likes (and I'll be using bitcoin...).
Mowcore

Activity: 592
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:18:38 PM

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/vat/brief0914.htm

Official shiney!

Humble Weekly Bundle.Pay What You Want. Redeem on Steam. Support charity. Pay with BTCitcoin now!--> Paypal Sad
h3rlihy

Activity: 356

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:45:17 PM

When I first heard about this it made my life. We're usually the ones to tax the sh*t out of everything xD
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:48:27 PM

calm down. I did research old topics and people were saying Capital Gains tax, that's why i asked.

------

I've never had to fill in tax forms so i don't know about this stuff.

sorry for my .... passion .. on this topic but i have known about the 'out of scope' for over a year. because i actually bothered to call HMRC to get at the time their unofficial stance on bitcoins. but time and time again people that do not know much about tax keep on thinking they knew it all and the snowball of confusion ensued.

it has been made clear this time that bitcoins are OFFICIALLY out of scope. so it should not now become another confused saga.

there have been financial businesses(not retail) afraid to set up as they thought they had to become VAT registered, large volume individuals that halted their entrepreneurial spirit and ceased expansion because they were worried about all the tax limits and paperwork requirements for growing large.

i have talked to many dozens of people who's plan was to open up large bitcoin exchanges, but didn't because they would worry about the financial barriers.

for a year now i have been trying to inform people to research the real truth instead of the opinions on reddit/forums that are from people that have not researched the matter.

so i am sorry that after HMRC made their stance clear. that people were still confused.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: