Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:33:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox source code leaked ...  (Read 18978 times)
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:17:39 PM

http://www.techworm.net/2014/03/mtgox-source-code-leaked-by-hacker-on.html

As a developer all I can say is ...
I have nothing to say just stunned silence that this was the codebase used to process millions of dollars and BTC everyday.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:19:02 PM

Oh and it gets worse

From the IRC chat of Nanashi and other hackers, it seems that the hacker also have access to a 20GB data dump of customer data along with passport scans.
bitjoint

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

Commander of the Hodl Legions

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:28:17 PM

Oh and it gets worse

From the IRC chat of Nanashi and other hackers, it seems that the hacker also have access to a 20GB data dump of customer data along with passport scans.

Thanks god I never signed up for that crappy site...
oOoOo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:30:23 PM

It's a pile of garbage.
If I had know this before, I would have NEVER trusted them with a single BTC, yubikey or not!

Mysql? php??? For a multi-million dollar website?!?!?!? WTF!!!

Releasing source code should be mandatory for bitcoin exchanges!
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:36:56 PM

I have nothing to say just stunned silence that this was the codebase used to process millions of dollars and BTC everyday.

Bitcoin code written by Satoshi is not perfect too but u still use it.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:39:25 PM

Mysql? php??? For a multi-million dollar website?!?!?!? WTF!!!

This explains why u r still not a b/millionaire...

PS: http://www.warriorforum.com/programming-talk/497316-what-programming-language-facebook-written.html
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:39:36 PM

Bitcoin code written by Satoshi is not perfect too but u still use it.

Um this goes far beyond "not perfect".  It essentially breaks every rule in software design, resulting in a fragile, unmaintainable mess.
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:40:19 PM

http://www.techworm.net/2014/03/mtgox-source-code-leaked-by-hacker-on.html

As a developer all I can say is ...
I hope this is a joke Wink
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:44:01 PM

Um this goes far beyond "not perfect".  It essentially breaks every rule in software design, resulting in a fragile, unmaintainable mess.

Projects written by a single person don't need to be developed as academics say. If u were an owner of an exchange and didn't trust to any other coder u would go the same way.
st4nl3y
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:47:36 PM

i wouldn't be surprised if the alleged 20GB of data comes up for sale
gollum

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:48:49 PM

Projects written by a single person don't need to be developed as academics say. If u were an owner of an exchange and didn't trust to any other coder u would go the same way.
That's why you split up a system in separate parts so you easily can track bugs, or security flaws.
Even if you don't trust other coders.
oOoOo

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:52:44 PM

As a website dealing with millions of user funds, their security should have been on par with that of big banks.

Does Deutsche Bank use php? Does HSBC use fucking MYSQL??? Do any of those banks comment out lines in production code for debugging?!?!?!?HuhHuh

That's exactly the problem, it shouldn't be written by only one clueless guy!!!
gollum

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:55:05 PM

As a website dealing with millions of user funds, their security should have been on par with that of big banks.

Does Deutsche Bank use php? Does HSBC use fucking MYSQL??? Do any of those banks comment out lines in production code for debugging?!?!?!?HuhHuh

That's exactly the problem, it shouldn't be written by only one clueless guy!!!
Bitcoinica failed for the same reason - bad coding and no security.
oOoOo

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:57:36 PM

More: php uses weak/'implicit' typing which means you never really know what type you are dealing with, unless you explicitly state so in the code. This might be fine for simple web-servers or some forum software, but it makes php inherently useless for high security applications.

^This is amateur grade code at best, and now we see the result...

edit: @gollum: Exactly!!
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:58:20 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 06:09:40 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Um this goes far beyond "not perfect".  It essentially breaks every rule in software design, resulting in a fragile, unmaintainable mess.

I do own (well partially) an exchange, and I did initially did code it all myself.  I still used concepts like scope delineation, separation of concerns, encapsulation of internal details, test driven development (unit tests), mocking, inversion of control, etc to be used.  These aren't just academic ideals, they are used every day in millions of software projects.  One programmer or one hundred there are reasons code is broken into logical groupings not one monster horribly do everything superclass.  The later produces fragile, unmaintainable, untestable code with the very obvious and expected end result.

I am not gods gift to software engineering but I have written hobbyist projects which had better design.

I think the articles sums it up
To sum up function _Route_getStats($path): XML production, JSON production, file writing, business logic, SQL commands, HTTP header fiddling, hard coded paging limits, multiple exit points...
All these things don't belong in the same class.  The http header generator doesn't need to know about the business logic, the SQL connectivity doesn't need to know about the routing.  Good software is hard, the capabilities of the computers, and languages already push the limits of what humans can process effectively.  Software developers use design tools to help the human manage the code/project.  You could write a web application in machine code if you wanted to, ultimately it all ends up there anyways but try spotting a bug in something low level like that.  High level languages were developed to allow a better code view.

Personally I am no fan of php for a variety of reasons but php doesn't mean you have to write code like the leaked gox source.  It is possible to write good (or at least better) php.  The major issue isn't the choice of language but how that language was (mis)used.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:59:15 PM

Oh and it gets worse

This is much worse.  A whole new slew of lawsuits heading their way.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 06:00:32 PM

Stop protecting Gox.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:05:12 PM

I do on an exchange, and I did initially did code it all myself.  I still used concepts like separation of concerns to be used.  One programmer or one hundred there are reasons code is broken into logical groupings not one monster horribly do everything super class.  It allows unit testing, bug fixing, and discrete upgrades.

Hm, guys upthread do the same. Perhaps it's me who is wrong. I prefer one monster super class...
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:06:57 PM

Stop protecting Gox.

I don't protect Gox. Their coding paradigm was heavily used before invention of OOP and I don't see why it can't be used nowadays.
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:14:55 PM

Mark Karpeles   Mobile: 03-4550-1529
            magicaltux@gmail.com 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: