Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:59:05 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Local Bitcoin Foundation - Bringing the power of the Blockchain...  (Read 2350 times)
Mike@Coinswag (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:58:19 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 11:25:16 PM by Mike@Coinswag

Local Bitcoin Foundation - Bringing the power of the Blockchain to your community.

Hello all,

The Bitcoin community is going through an interesting period right now. Among all of the bad news, there are still shimmers of light and brilliance. People and businesses, both international and local are being introduced to the power of the Bitcoin technology. Though with new stories about a company adopting Bitcoin being published every day, it was probably not without a large undertaking from these companies to learn and integrate the Bitcoin technology into their everyday business practices.

The mission I am trying to help develop is to increase, and help the adoption and education of Bitcoin within our local communities.

It all starts with you. Taking back control of Bitcoin in your area, starting your own "local" bitcoin foundation that will help the businesses you frequent, learn, experiment, and adopt the technology that we put so much belief in.

Goals I envisioned, but not limited to, for the Local Bitcoin Foundation:

•   Provide direction for local chapters on integrating Bitcoin within their community
•   Provide education on Bitcoin topics, such as best use practices of Bitcoin, adequate security, and new and innovative Bitcoin technology
•   Provide a link for people to seek out local support for Bitcoin within their community
•   Provide a link between the people and their elected Politicians to better understand of Bitcoin
•   Provide a link between chapters of the Local Bitcoin Foundation, to share their ideas and experiences of Bitcoin promotion within their communities
•   Provide a voice for people, through their local chapters, to share their visions for the proliferance of Bitcoin
•   Provide resources and support to members of the Local Bitcoin Foundation, such as but not limited to, Legal, Financial, Accounting, Information Technology, and the Artistic Expression of Bitcoin
•   Provide funding and resources to developers of the open source Bitcoin protocol
•   Provide marketing resources to local chapters

What would be your goals for the foundation?

The intention is not to be a single organization run by individuals behind closed doors.

I envision the Local Bitcoin Foundation to be run like a democracy. I am merely an advocate for the development of such a system that has the ability to be a transparent organization open to any like-minded individuals or groups to help further Bitcoin education, grow local communities, and speed up Bitcoin adoption worldwide.

I am looking to connect like-minded individuals with myself to develop the Local Bitcoin Foundation.  

Areas of expertise needed, among many others not listed:

•   Business Consulting and Management
•   Legal
•   Political
•   Accounting
•   Marketing and Promotion
•   Web Development
•   Graphic Design
•   Programmers

Currently, I will act as a director/facilitator/connection maker until the Bitcoin community has helped build the foundation and it's core values, bylaws, elected officials, etc. have been developed.

If you have a skill set and would like to participate in the development of the organization, please contact me: mike@localbitcoinfoundation.org

If you have any ideas for the development of the Local Bitcoin Foundation, please reply in this forum.

If you know of anyone who you think would be beneficial to the creation of the foundation, please share this post with them.

If you are a local foundation, and would like to participate in the development of the Local Bitcoin Foundation, please contact me:mike@localbitcoinfoundation.org

Please take your time thinking how you envision a better Bitcoin in your community, and consider how you play a part in the development of it.

Please share this with your friends, the reddit community, and your local Bitcoin community.

Thank you for your support of the proliferation of Bitcoin.

Mike Miescke
mike@localbitcoinfoundation.org
Mike@Coinswag (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:15:45 PM

Reserved for updates.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 09:44:02 PM

I think it's a great idea Mike. I'm a stretched a little too thin to take an active role, but I've made some documents and scalable vector graphics explaining some aspects of bitcoin...You are welcome to have a copy of any of my work.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Mike@Coinswag (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:45:33 PM

That would be great! I am thinking one role of the foundation would be to help local chapters with access to pre-made marketing material, so that everything is more "turnkey" and easy to promote.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 09:49:53 PM

That would be great! I am thinking one role of the foundation would be to help local chapters with access to pre-made marketing material, so that everything is more "turnkey" and easy to promote.

I had a similar idea but lacked the technical skill to do it. What do you think of this:

A virtual machine on a disk image (possibly on something like amazon EC) that had preconfigured web server, email server, irc, forum, etc with simple customization scripts that prompted the new local group to enter a few key details and get them up and running quickly. Generic logos with obvious places to customize them (and the software to do it) would help too!

Of course, you'd always have the wackos accusing you of malfeasance of some sort Smiley

Mike@Coinswag (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:07:02 PM

A configuration like this would definitely work and will be extremely helpful.

I think in order to maintain the integrity of the foundation, there would need to be some localization of the material. The foundation could setup subdomains for each chapter, such as...

dallas.localbitcoinfoundation.org or
iowa.localbitcoinfoundation.org or
poland.localbitcoinfoundation.org...

that when the local chapter has been established and deemed suitable to receive the foundation's resources, your turnkey method could be implemented!

Rawted

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:22:07 PM

Hey Mike,

I have been working on something similar for the last ~year. I just haven't been able to make it happen with my limited time and finances. If you're looking for some collaboration, PM me. I'd like to bounce some of my ideas and thoughts on the matter off of you and see where we end up.
Mike@Coinswag (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:33:12 PM

If/when this forum post gains enough attention, my next step is to create a placeholder website with a simple forum that will allow the Bitcoin community to start discussing topics related to the development of the foundation.

Baby steps Smiley
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 10:39:18 PM

Surely there are those here with the time and skill to whip out a web community in a box...I wouldn't mind cosigning a multisig bounty.

tayfun73

Activity: 34

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:39:05 AM

Great idea Mike, it's good to see people come up with these innovations. I too would like to see the formation of a organisation who is TRULY dedicated to the cause of bitcoin, and not personal gain. I have limited computer programming skills, but I am based in Australia and would be willing to help in the marketing, promotional or legal areas. I will keep an eye out on this thread for developments and hope this can get off the ground.
Mike@Coinswag (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:01:59 PM

Great idea Mike, it's good to see people come up with these innovations. I too would like to see the formation of a organisation who is TRULY dedicated to the cause of bitcoin, and not personal gain. I have limited computer programming skills, but I am based in Australia and would be willing to help in the marketing, promotional or legal areas. I will keep an eye out on this thread for developments and hope this can get off the ground.

tay, you could be a great asset to the foundation, regardless of your programming skills. It is more about the connections we make with people in our communities, educating them on why they should give Bitcoin a chance.

Anyone can be a great asset. It just starts with one person spreading the word. Much like Bitcoin started out. When I talk with anyone about Bitcoin, the first things they tend to talk about is drugs/money laundering/theft. This is only because the source of their knowledge are headline news.

Most people do not have the time to delve into it deeper because they are busy with work/school/family.

The select few in the world who have found Bitcoin, and sought out to understand it were the lucky, curious folk.
Rawted

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:34:47 PM

Mike, I can help you get your community site setup in a few hours bud. I would like to discuss more long term and beneficial charitable avenues with you though.

EDIT: Just saw you PM'd me.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:22:14 PM

Anyone who gained from the Bitcoin experience should be interested in some local action. This effort seems great.

Mike@Coinswag (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:25:15 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2014, 08:51:28 PM by Mike@Coinswag

Surely there are those here with the time and skill to whip out a web community in a box...I wouldn't mind cosigning a multisig bounty.

I have installed a forum. However, this thread will remain the primary starting point to get the ball rolling. All rights to the domain will be transferred to the foundation when the time is right.

http://localbitcoinfoundation.org/forum/

Anyone who gained from the Bitcoin experience should be interested in some local action. This effort seems great.

I feel that giving the opportunity for people to be leaders in their own community really helps serve the whole purpose of Bitcoin. We need more leaders to step up who wish to help their community adopt the next big technology.

Is there anyone who would like to contribute by creating a vesion 1.0 logo?
Rawted

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 12:19:54 AM

I got you on that Mike, PM me what you're looking for.
Mike@Coinswag (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:33:04 PM

I was recently interviewed for an article in the local newspaper. They reached out to me through my localbitcoins.com sales ad, but it can just as easily be you reaching out to your local newspaper as the local expert on bitcoin.

Here is the article: http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20140306/BUSINESS/303060137/Banking-bitcoins-Could-crypto-currency-future-Louisville-
Mike@Coinswag (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:26:13 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2014, 05:52:11 PM by Mike@Coinswag

A basic website and forum are now up. https://www.localbitcoinfoundation.org

I was recently contacted by a supporter in Portland, OR who has taken steps to creating Portland's first local organization dedicated to dispute resolution in their community. The site is: https://sites.google.com/site/pdxbtcdro/

Additionally, I establishing a local chapter in Louisville, KY and have had interest from a few people interested in helping educate our community.

We need the support of the Bitcoin community! Speak up!

Edit: I just installed the SSL certificate, so the regular HTTP isn't working at the moment. Use HTTPS!
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:55:12 PM

The website isn't working for now  Undecided  You fixed it as I was posting this!

Forbidden

You do not have permission to access this document.
Web Server at localbitcoinfoundation.org

On another note, I'd definitely like to help with this... especially in the Northern VA/DC area.  There is a big need for better resources to learn about Bitcoin.

Please feel free to shoot me a PM and we can talk some more.
pdxbtcdro.org

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 05:47:37 AM

Mike, your Local Bitcoin Foundation gave me a reason to sign up here.  We think a lot alike.  I recently attended a local bitcoin meetup and asked several attendees what they thought of the Bitcoin Foundation.  Most had a critical opinion and I suggested a local organization that would formally represent bitcoiners.  Yes, these local groups should be democratic and provide legal assistance, along with promoting Bitcoin.  If/when Bitcoin dethrones the dollar, these groups will be needed to represent our interests during such a disruption.  Smiley
corebob

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 07:26:14 AM

Sounds nice. A bit like a Debian foundation thing.

How about setting up a blockchain for voting so that members can cast their vote on different issues and elections?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: