Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:32:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using 2nd computer/tablet to produce paper wallet.  (Read 856 times)
pinksheep (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 07:51:23 PM

I want to get my BTC off my laptop & into a paper wallet as soon as possible, but am not very tech savvy, so could anyone help with these questions.

Firstly, if I buy a new computer/tablet to generate my private keys &
go to the bitaddress.org website on my old computer, I have read that I
need to download the HTML file from bitaddress & transfer it to my new
computer. How do I do this, do I need to transfer it using a USB flash
drive? Or do I need a USB flash drive at all? Also do I need to download any software onto the new tablet; I imagine you can't do this without connecting to the internet which is something I don't want to do.

I have been looking at this Android tablet. Would it be suitable for
making my paper wallet? I want something cheap as I presume I will
never be using it again.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/archos-70-cobalt-7-tablet-8-gb-21895182-pdt.html

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BlockChainLottery

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

AwesomeDice.net

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 08:15:31 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 08:29:40 PM by BlockChainLottery

I am always a bit skeptical about the steps required to make a paper wallet ventilated by some.
Cumbersome: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=342691.0
versus
Simple: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=312601.msg3355726#msg3355726
But in the end it is your money and responsibility. But I wouldn't get too paranoid, considering some mild security measures it is not very likely that your money gets stolen, especially when it is a small amount.

pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:27:17 PM

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think it answers my question Smiley Forgive me if I am wrong Smiley. It doesn't seem to show the steps involved in making a paper wallet using a 2ND computer. How do I transfer it over? Do I need a Ubuntu LiveCD?

PRIMEDICE
BlockChainLottery

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

AwesomeDice.net

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 08:37:50 PM

What I am trying to tell you is that a second computer is not really needed.
It is also possible to do it from an OS booting from a CD or USB on your normal computer.
It is just a waste to buy a second computer to make a paper wallet.

Liam W

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 08:46:11 PM

If I were you, I would just format a pen drive, copy over an address generator, make sure there's nothing unwanted on there (check the size taken), then boot into a live cd with no network connection, run the address generator, copy it down and then remove the live cd.

Might not be as secure as other things, but it's much easier and it's still quite secure.

Liam
pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:54:00 PM

Thanks again for both your replies. Problem is even expressions like 'format a pen drive' might as well be written in Japanese where I am concerned Smiley I really know nothing about the technical side of computers. That's why I thought, from what I've read, that using a  2nd computer seemed that little bit easier & I can get a tablet for £70 (around 117USD) which while expensive, would be worth it if it gave me peace of mind. If I did go for the 2nd computer, would i need to copy over an address generator onto a USB pen drive & then transfer it from that onto the 2nd computer? Would I need any other software on the 2nd computer?

PRIMEDICE
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 09:04:52 PM

Thanks again for both your replies. Problem is even expressions like 'format a pen drive' might as well be written in Japanese where I am concerned Smiley I really know nothing about the technical side of computers. That's why I thought, from what I've read, that using a  2nd computer seemed that little bit easier & I can get a tablet for £70 (around 117USD) which while expensive, would be worth it if it gave me peace of mind. If I did go for the 2nd computer, would i need to copy over an address generator onto a USB pen drive & then transfer it from that onto the 2nd computer? Would I need any other software on the 2nd computer?

You would need the address generator on the second computer, so you would either have to stick it on a pen drive or download it...

Liam
pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:09:43 PM

Thanks Liam, looks like transferring it over using a pen drive would be best, as I assume downloading it would mean going online & I don't want this 2nd computer/tablet to ever be online.

PRIMEDICE
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 09:14:54 PM

Thanks Liam, looks like transferring it over using a pen drive would be best, as I assume downloading it would mean going online & I don't want this 2nd computer/tablet to ever be online.

Indeed. Just make sure you format your pen drive (in Windows, right click it and select 'Format') so it is completely erased. Once done, copy the program over.

Liam
pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:17:21 PM

do i need to format it if it is a brand new pen drive that has never been used before? Also I have been looking at the bitaddress page & I don't see how you can download it to put it on a USB drive, would copy & paste do? There doesn't seem to be a download option.

Thanks again, I am so grateful for any help in relation to this matter Smiley

PRIMEDICE
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 09:39:22 PM

do i need to format it if it is a brand new pen drive that has never been used before? Also I have been looking at the bitaddress page & I don't see how you can download it to put it on a USB drive, would copy & paste do? There doesn't seem to be a download option.

Thanks again, I am so grateful for any help in relation to this matter Smiley

Bitaddress appears to be an online service. It would need a browser to be connected to the internet Smiley

Liam
pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:01:46 PM

Managed to download Bitaddress after all & have it ready to transfer onto pen drive. Now I'm reading that some tablets only have micro usb port & I might need a special cable to transfer it from the USB to the tablet. However, the tablet I mentioned above seems to have a normal usb port so hopefully it'll be OK. Smiley

PRIMEDICE
pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:17:35 PM

Just read a post on another thread saying that this doesn't work. Are there other sites (other than bitaddress) where I could download the files & then send them via USB to the 2nd computer/tablet?

PRIMEDICE
pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 12:25:39 PM

I've just ordered this tablet. I'm hoping that I'll be able to access bitaddress.org on it & make my paper wallet. Someone told me that there could be limitations on the bitaddress site for Android, not exactly sure what they meant. Has anyone used a tablet like this for making paper wallets?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PROMOTIONAL-PRICE-RAPID5-ECO-TABLET/dp/B00EKJEB02/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1393935759&sr=8-4&keywords=eco+tablet+android

PRIMEDICE
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 03:03:05 PM

Maybe you'd be better off with the piper paper wallet printer.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:02:00 PM

Thanks cp1, had thought of that & might end up doing it.

PRIMEDICE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: