Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:56:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof of Stake Investment - HBN/PHS/TEK/CAP and more  (Read 15442 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
StakeHunter (OP)

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:03:47 PM

What if I cant have the wallet running 24/7, how much inpact if I open the wallet lets say for 3 hours once every week ?

It lowers your opportunity to stake. Wallets need to communicate with the network to determine coin stake age, and probabilities are computed to see if coins will stake. Plus, once they stake they have to be communicated to the network or they will become orphans.

You can do this - once a week - but I would give a wallet a full 24 hours. It should not change your stake return perceptibly. 
doulos

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:09:37 PM

What if I cant have the wallet running 24/7, how much inpact if I open the wallet lets say for 3 hours once every week ?

It lowers your opportunity to stake. Wallets need to communicate with the network to determine coin stake age, and probabilities are computed to see if coins will stake. Plus, once they stake they have to be communicated to the network or they will become orphans.

You can do this - once a week - but I would give a wallet a full 24 hours. It should not change your stake return perceptibly. 

In order for your coins to begin minting you must have an unlocked wallet that remains connected to the network for extended periods of time (for the highest probability of success 24/7 network connectivity is suggested). You can also allow your coins to age with the wallet offline, but keep in mind that once the wallet is back online the blocks will be competing with the rest of the blocks ready to stake on the network. When you bring coins back online and fully synchronize with the blockchain, your coins will have a high coin age and might be eligible for stake before other coins in the network.
http://wiki.hobonickels.info/index.php?title=Proof_of_Stake
StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:24:30 PM

Full disclosure...

My BTC is where my mouth is. Here is a breakdown of my portfolio:
~22 BTC
40.3% HBN
16.3% NVC
8.1% PHS
20.5% TEK
15.5% Other

I am working to get the other down to less than 5% because most are in non-stake coins.

I know everyone is saying BTC is king. LTC is king...etc. But I honestly don't understand why people don't hold stake coins. To me it is strange that if you are just going to have a chunk of money sitting there, why not have it do work for you?   
wasamata

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:28:05 PM

I try to keep my wallet locked and closed most of the time.
Ill open it now and then and get my stake, but keeping it open 24/7 is asking for trouble.
doulos

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:59:53 PM

Ill open it now and then and get my stake, but keeping it open 24/7 is asking for trouble.

I agree, the way that wallets work currently it's not a good idea from a security perspective.

One of the new features being added to PoS coin wallets is to allow encrypted wallets to stake.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2d17nmq.png
RobFordWotWot

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

time

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:11:34 PM

Yeah for anybody who hasn't yet found out Proof-Of-Stake is a great way to make a guaranteed profit off your investment albeit not as large as guessing the next coin that explodes.

Think of it as a reliable long term investment whereas Aura and Doge have had the potential to outdo a whole year of proof-of-stake in a month simply from being artificially raised.

Good write up for people who aren't all there in the head Tongue

Horses in midstream.
StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:00:56 PM

Yeah for anybody who hasn't yet found out Proof-Of-Stake is a great way to make a guaranteed profit off your investment albeit not as large as guessing the next coin that explodes.

Think of it as a reliable long term investment whereas Aura and Doge have had the potential to outdo a whole year of proof-of-stake in a month simply from being artificially raised.

That's the idea. Not that anything is guaranteed. However to me it is better than guessing at coins.

I prefer the just sit back and watch approach instead of the stress of hoping a trade will go your way.
StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:04:44 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2014, 05:26:04 PM by StakeHunter

Both NVC and PHS are down. Depending upon your outlook it could be a buy opportunity.

NVC better recover, or it may lose its vaunted "safe" status.  

Even if it is down I still like PHS. It gives real returns (50% yearly) every ~5 days. Unlike other coins with low % yield or long min stake age, you can really see coins compounding.  

YMMV
tokyoghetto
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:01:04 PM

we don't need to create more PoS coins when we have established coins in hand. Notice how the devs for the following coins have been around for a while. 

Balthazar = NVC
Tranz = HBN
Palmdroit = PHS
Thundertoe = TEK.

Good devs and good communities. Thundertoe was the person who first launched HBN before Tranz took over. Palmdroit has been quick to respond to PHS community requests and just recently launched a new PHS client with coin control. Don't forget Sunny King, without him we wouldn't even have PoS. Balthazar has been instrumental in working out the kinks with PoS and the value of NVC is a sign of what type of value other PoS coins can have.
StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 09:45:49 PM

we don't need to create more PoS coins when we have established coins in hand. Notice how the devs for the following coins have been around for a while. 

Balthazar = NVC
Tranz = HBN
Palmdroit = PHS
Thundertoe = TEK.

Good devs and good communities. Thundertoe was the person who first launched HBN before Tranz took over. Palmdroit has been quick to respond to PHS community requests and just recently launched a new PHS client with coin control. Don't forget Sunny King, without him we wouldn't even have PoS. Balthazar has been instrumental in working out the kinks with PoS and the value of NVC is a sign of what type of value other PoS coins can have.

I agree completely. We don't need another coin, but community support for the ones that exist. We need to start talking them up. Tell people that they could be used, what their benefits are. See if we can get merchants to use them, etc. 
oser41eric

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 12:13:07 PM

There is no guarantee for NVC however. Again you need to have coin bundles greater than 100 coins, and that is difficult given the price. So NVC will take longer.

However, the percentage is a yearly percentage that is applied at the time of stake. Thus if coins take longer to stake, the percentage that you get will be greater. IF your NVC takes 3 months, when it does stake you will get 3X the monthly percentage. 

Is there minimum amount required for stake? I mean after month does 1 coin have just one hundred times less chance to stake than 100 coin ? I ask because I have many small amounts in wallet from mining, I never joined these together
StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:12:28 PM

All,

A note for the faithful few. Interesting news on the diamond front...
It appears the devs have been at work and they rolled out a new wallet. They say they fixed the Stake.
http://dmdcoin.net/forum/index.php/topic,137.0.html

I have some DMD just for playing around with - picked it up cheap. We shall see what it does.
StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:16:09 PM

There is no guarantee for NVC however. Again you need to have coin bundles greater than 100 coins, and that is difficult given the price. So NVC will take longer.

However, the percentage is a yearly percentage that is applied at the time of stake. Thus if coins take longer to stake, the percentage that you get will be greater. IF your NVC takes 3 months, when it does stake you will get 3X the monthly percentage. 

Is there minimum amount required for stake? I mean after month does 1 coin have just one hundred times less chance to stake than 100 coin ? I ask because I have many small amounts in wallet from mining, I never joined these together

With NCV there is no min...Currently 1 coin could take you ~150+ days to stake. And anything less, you could never see stake in under a year. Anyone sitting with small coin amounts in NVC, I suggest you take the hit and combine them into a big chunk.
StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:17:52 PM

if you could only choose just 1 pos coin, what you invest in today?

any new coins that have a higher risk but potential for bigger rewards
compared to more established like nvc, hbn etc. Or do you look at the
developer support before the pos reward?

Can't choose 1. I'd do a HBN/TEK combo. Probably 85% HBN / 15% TEK. Maybe up the TEK percent if we can see the dev more.

Dev/price stability/community/Stake - are all about equal factors for me.
StakeHunter (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 07:44:50 PM

if you could only choose just 1 pos coin, what you invest in today?

any new coins that have a higher risk but potential for bigger rewards
compared to more established like nvc, hbn etc. Or do you look at the
developer support before the pos reward?

Can't choose 1. I'd do a HBN/TEK combo. Probably 85% HBN / 15% TEK. Maybe up the TEK percent if we can see the dev more.

Dev/price stability/community/Stake - are all about equal factors for me.

This has made me think...and with the decline of NVC. I'm going to rearrange my profile.
I am not going to invest in NVC any more. I may liquidate some holdings - cut my losses.
I will realign with HBN/TEK/PHS.
And I will increase exposure to cryptostocks.
mcjavar

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 09:46:00 PM

Why did you leave out NXT?

because in crypto investment circles only a nutjob would invest in 100% premine scamcoin.

You need to "premine" to get proof of stake..
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 10:40:06 PM

Are you still here OP?
bestsponsor

Activity: 616

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 09:25:00 AM

Good thing I found this thread. then learned about tekcoin. Had not even used slyshgal this coin.

poncom

Activity: 318

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 10:33:30 AM

I agree, the way that wallets work currently it's not a good idea from a security perspective.

One of the new features being added to PoS coin wallets is to allow encrypted wallets to stake.

Great, I like the whole PoS concept, but I hate the idea of being forced to leave an open wallet connected to the network for extended periods of time. If someone invents a way to let an encrypted wallet stake it should encourage a lot more people to adopt PoS coins.

Who is developing this new feature?
rgm108

Activity: 274

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:58:03 PM

Hi OP

Nice thread. Pretty much in line with tokyoghetto and his thread on HBN. Interesting stuff for us newbies.

I have only one issue so far. There's very little info in Tekcoin. The only official? website I can find for them does not have a windows wallet and the link to the block explorer is broken. That does not instill a lot of confidence in a new coin imo.

Keep up the good work.

SPECTRE                ▄▄███▄▄
            ▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄
▄▄      ▄▄███▀▀ ▄▄███▄▄ ▀▀███▄▄      ▄▄
████▄▄  ▀▀▀ ▄▄███████████▄▄ ▀▀▀  ▄▄████
  ▀▀████▄    ▀▀█████████▀▀    ▄████▀▀
 ██▄▄ ▀██ █▄▄    ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█ ██▀ ▄▄██
 ▀▀███ ██ █████▄       ▄█████ ██ ███▀▀
     ██ ███████▄   ▄███████ ██
       ██ ████████   ████████ ██
       ██▄▄ ▀▀████   ████▀▀ ▄▄██
        ▀▀███▄▄ ▀▀   ▀▀ ▄▄███▀▀