Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:53:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [PROPOSAL] - lock the apparent Mt. Gox coins for now  (Read 4896 times)
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:18:52 AM

Firstly, you will never achieve consensus on an idea like this.  Bitcoin is digital cash for a reason.  

Secondly, in an alternate universe where you did freeze coins, it would set a precedent that people aren't responsible for their actions and decisions.  It would snowball into a centralized and ambiguous system, complete with favouritism, socialized bailouts, and a loss of freedom for its users.  

Thirdly, MtGox users did not lose their bitcoins.  MtGox defaulted on bitcoin IOUs.  There is a fundamental difference here that we as a community must come to appreciate. For the first time in history, we have a technology that allows its users to store, transport and exchange value with anyone else in the world, without the assistance of a third party or the permission of an authority.  All you need to do is secure your private keys.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
CompNsci (OP)

Activity: 332
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:19:20 AM

But that is an aside. You don't reissue a security because a brokerage stole some of it, and you don't reissue a currency for that reason either. If they "find" the coins, cool. If they don't, bitcoin is 6 percent more valuable.

While that seems harsh, going the "let's run to big daddy" thing is much harsher. Six percent is very paltry compared to 100 percent.

Nice thoughtful remarks.

Is this really like re-issuing a security though? It strikes me as more like evidence preservation, locking up the securities until their proper ownership can be determined.

This proposal is not intended to "run to big daddy" at all. This is not a proposal for any government agency or some such to regulate or change bitcoin in any way. It is a proposal for miners, those controlling more than 51% of the hashing power, to refuse to let their resources be used to support a large scale fraud or theft.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:36:35 AM

As soon as we hear from at least one of QuestionAuthority, LaudaM, and justusranvier we can proceed with your plan.
I am gravely concerned that my name is being mentioned in a list of people who are "respected by the community".

Obviously I must have been slacking off somehow.

What can I do to make this right?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:20:33 AM

I vote we lock this thread and stop discussing the distruction of Bitcoins fungibility forever.

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:24:09 AM

I agree. The OP is yet another rinse and repeat of one of the worst proposals possible.

Something's wrong when senior members of the forum have no clue how the integrity and value of Bitcoin is maintained.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 05:30:10 AM

Never going to happen.

/thread

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 05:35:20 AM

What "appropriate group"?  The central bank of Bitcoin?  The Central Bitcoin Intelligence Agency?

You have no idea which addresses belong to MtGox.  It doesn't strike you as utter contemptible to just start blocking addresses because you think they belong to MtGox? Forget laws, on what ethical or moral authority do you have the right to arrest the wealth on another person?  

As I suggested at the beginning of the thread, I would suggest a group of people, reasonably respected in the community, be set up to judge the evidence. To proceed fairly they would have to weigh the evidence for particular addresses. These addresses can always be unlocked if an owner can submit proof of proper ownership by other than Mt. Gox.

There are quite a few discussions on the web where the evidence looks reasonably compelling that there are large blocks of bitcoin which previously belonged to Mt. Gox and haven't been spent since. I don't believe it is accurate to qualify this evidence as "no idea".

There is another alternative to viewing this as arresting the wealth of anyone. It could be viewed as the miners simply refusing to take part in what they judge to be an unethical transaction. I don't think there is anything wrong with miners deciding they don't want to support what may be a massive fraud or theft.

This is centralization, and is against one of the core values of Bitcoin.  End of discussion.

Ok.  No.  There is something you can do.  Make a client for users and a bitcoind for miners and pools that simply does not processes certain addresses that you are against.  Then publicize and distribute that client.  If you get 51% of the miners to follow you, you win!   It is not a whole lot of code just to ignore the addresses either.   Then when someone tries to move those coins, the network will fork.  If you have enough on your side the network will re-organize every time a block is mined with those coins and revert back to your fork without those coins moving. 

Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:35:28 AM

As soon as we hear from at least one of QuestionAuthority, LaudaM, and justusranvier we can proceed with your plan.
I am gravely concerned that my name is being mentioned in a list of people who are "respected by the community".

Obviously I must have been slacking off somehow.

What can I do to make this right?

I've been accused of being level headed and sane several times on this forum. It's kind of weird. I'm used to being the crazy one. Maybe the same deal?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 05:58:01 AM

Such a thing would destroy bitcoin. It should never be allowed to happen, no blocks will be erased.

I don't believe this requires any blocks to be erased or modified in any way. The miners can simply refuse to add transactions moving bitcoin out from the locked addresses to any other address, that is all. All other aspects of new blocks produced can remain the same.
But what you're proposing is very risky for the whole network, just to keep some coins from being spent?
This would open up room for similar events taking place in the future, which would be even worse.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:12:33 AM

bitcoin is bitcoin.. thats what its for.. no take backs.. no indian givers.. you wanna sell drugs.. guns.. or even uproot fiat.. i dont care... thats why bitcoin was created. if you're a damn fool and dont follow the protocol then you deserve to be robbed.. ie.. hold coins in our own wallets and dont let greed take over by trusting your coins to someone else (it says so right when you download bitcoin client !!! DONT TRUST OTHERS WITH YOUR COIN)
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:17:06 AM

If you fork the blockchain it is a guaranteed fact that somebody somewhere will get screwed over. How could this be a good idea?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 07:18:05 AM

Given the possible recent leak of the Mt. Gox source code and database, what would the core developers and mining community think of locking the apparent large wallet balances belonging to Mt. Gox, Mark Karpeles, and Jeb McCaleb by changing the protocol for now?

The idea would not be to accept any transactions spending these bitcoin until the Mt. Gox bankruptcy case is sorted out. A committee, possibly appointed by the Bitcoin Foundation, could verify proper ownership before the coins are cleared for spending and a change back is made.

This would be a bit different than the idea of taking the coins permanently, or permanently invalidating them. The intention here would be to simply assist the legal process.

I know this is not something which can be done for every theft, etc., but we are talking about 6% of all bitcoin mined to date, which are presently tangled up in a real legal mess.

I suppose a general principle to govern this could be that when an entity controlling greater than some number of fraction of bitcoin is subject to legal action, such as a bankruptcy, charges of fraud, lawsuits, etc., that coins may be locked pending the outcome of litigation.

Bad idea! (with apologies)
btc4ever

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:29:38 AM

Hey OP:

Multiple senior people on these boards have told you this one of or possibly the worst proposal they have ever heard of for bitcoin.

Not just one person.  Several.

And yet still you persist in arguing for it.

If it were me, and I had submitted such a bad idea and then been repeatedly called out on it, I would shut up, have a good think, and study up a good deal more before making any further boneheaded proposals.

In other words, why don't you shut the hell up before you make more of an ass of yourself.

have a nice day.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:33:31 AM

Given the possible recent leak of the Mt. Gox source code and database, what would the core developers and mining community think of locking the apparent large wallet balances belonging to Mt. Gox, Mark Karpeles, and Jeb McCaleb by changing the protocol for now?

The idea would not be to accept any transactions spending these bitcoin until the Mt. Gox bankruptcy case is sorted out. A committee, possibly appointed by the Bitcoin Foundation, could verify proper ownership before the coins are cleared for spending and a change back is made.

This would be a bit different than the idea of taking the coins permanently, or permanently invalidating them. The intention here would be to simply assist the legal process.

I know this is not something which can be done for every theft, etc., but we are talking about 6% of all bitcoin mined to date, which are presently tangled up in a real legal mess.

I suppose a general principle to govern this could be that when an entity controlling greater than some number of fraction of bitcoin is subject to legal action, such as a bankruptcy, charges of fraud, lawsuits, etc., that coins may be locked pending the outcome of litigation.

If this idea is accepted, I'll do my best to warn people to stay away from a centralized system like Bitcoin. When a newbie's coin get hacked, u give your big words that how noob they are. And now u r Goxed and crying like a baby. Be matured.

ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:28:08 AM

Also, people whose addresses would be unjustly blocked by OP solution shall have no obligation to prove their innocence, provide any evidence or identification.
Violating fungibility is a bad idea. Some things in fiat world considered "ethical" and "just" (and enforced even on those who disagree with "inevitable truth of such ethic") are simply algorithmically prohibited (or complicated tremendously) by Bitcoin protocol. This is not a bug, but it is a feature of Bitcoin and one of the reasons of its success.
broolstoryco

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

Enemy of the State

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:39:41 AM

Such a thing would destroy bitcoin. It should never be allowed to happen, no blocks will be erased.

this x100. there is nothing to discuss here, such a proposal goes against everything bitcoin stands for.
DooMAD
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 3160

Leave no FUD unchallenged

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 11:01:51 AM

It seems I can copy and paste word-for-word my response in another thread here:

This is the kind of fundamental misunderstanding that needs to be corrected. 

Hats are designed to be worn on your head.  If you wear them on your foot and they don't work correctly, there isn't a fault with the way the hat is designed, there a fault with you not using it as intended.

Bitcoin is designed as peer-to-peer money.  One Sender and one Recipient.  If you leave someone else in charge of your coins, there isn't a fault with the way Bitcoin is designed, there a fault with you not using it as intended.

If someone was standing on a street corner with a glass box full of money and they said they'd look after your cash for you, and you were stupid enough to put your money in the box and find that they are not there the following day, is that a fault with the way money is designed?  Or is that a fault with you being reckless and naive?

Exchanges should never have become as popular as they are in the first place.  People just need to learn the difference between the fiat money world and the digital world.  Exchanges are not banks and you should not trust them, or anyone else, to look after your money for you.  Use it properly and you won't get burned.

Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 11:03:36 AM

It seems I can copy and paste word-for-word my response in another thread here:

This is the kind of fundamental misunderstanding that needs to be corrected. 

Hats are designed to be worn on your head.  If you wear them on your foot and they don't work correctly, there isn't a fault with the way the hat is designed, there a fault with you not using it as intended.

Bitcoin is designed as peer-to-peer money.  One Sender and one Recipient.  If you leave someone else in charge of your coins, there isn't a fault with the way Bitcoin is designed, there a fault with you not using it as intended.

If someone was standing on a street corner with a glass box full of money and they said they'd look after your cash for you, and you were stupid enough to put your money in the box and find that they are not there the following day, is that a fault with the way money is designed?  Or is that a fault with you being reckless and naive?

Exchanges should never have become as popular as they are in the first place.  People just need to learn the difference between the fiat money world and the digital world.  Exchanges are not banks and you should not trust them, or anyone else, to look after your money for you.  Use it properly and you won't get burned.

Quoted for both beauty and truth.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 06:26:08 PM

Another one of these silly threads started because someone doesn't understand why bitcoin has any value in the first place.

CompNsci (OP)

Activity: 332
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 11:56:06 PM

Multiple senior people on these boards have told you this one of or possibly the worst proposal they have ever heard of for bitcoin.

I understand people's reluctance, but I've yet to hear that this would really hurt anyone other than possibly the people with the locked coins. And in those cases, there would be a procedure for unlocking.

I also understand the general concern that this would change the underlying perception of bitcoin. In other words, that the value of bitcoin for most people is derived from the fact that there is no such locking possible. Now while that certainly has been the rule to date, the question is, would such an ability to lock addresses, subject to a review procedure, increase or decrease the typical potential user's confidence?

Certainly the criminal element wouldn't like this. By and large, of course, they would usually be flying under the radar of some limit on the amount and would likely be in trouble by the time legal action is taken against them anyway, but presumably they still wouldn't like this.

But I do wonder what the effect would be for the much larger number of potential users that bitcoin is trying to expand into? Certainly the aficionados who tend to read this forum aren't representative of this group.

I've actually read comments of at least a few miners that might be in favor of such an idea, because they don't want their resources being used to commit a large fraud or theft.

I tend to be interested in the actual facts behind an issue and don't pay much attention to arguments from authority. If you don't like my discussions or posts, please go ahead and block me so you don't have to read them.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: