Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 01:15:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's the support for MtGox?  (Read 2148 times)
hyunsookmom (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

Kamehameha!!!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:58:37 PM

Firstly I'm not gonna say they are the perfect company, infact lets assume they are a crap one that was badly managed BUT

Surely they are ultimately brothers in arms involved in trying to profit from trading Bitcoin. They surely didn't want to be hacked and seem to be an early amateur outfit that capitalized early on Bitcoin. But a badly run company doesn't mean the people who support Bitcon should run with the mainstream media and attack them. I expect most exchanges could be hacked which brings me to my point that I believe MtGox was a victim of its own success and so was hacked and made an example of by those in power to discredit Bitcoin.

A day doesn't go by where I dont see a MtGox news report when in reality they lost 500m while banks like RBS lose 5Bn a year and hardly a mention in the mainstream media. So in the end as we collectively gang up against MtGox we are in effect on the side of those who want to destroy MtGox and put up a big sign saying hey this stuff is bad we cant trust it, we must ban or regulate it to shit.

A war is on for the minds of the masses to spread FUD about bitcoin so where is the support for a brother who has fallen even if we think they are idiots?

What exchange will be next for an NSA hack job?

Will we cheer on every Bitcoin site that gets hacked?

exocytosis

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:09:00 PM

Mark Karpeles stole the fiat and the BTC.

He's laughing now, seeing as he's fooled everyone into thinking it was a case of incompetence. He knows he'll get away with this.
hyunsookmom (OP)

Kamehameha!!!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:21:16 PM

He's laughing now, seeing as he's fooled everyone into thinking it was a case of incompetence. He knows he'll get away with this.

What are these accusations based on, opinion?

Common sense says to me that if you're the biggest Bitcoin exchange and you're living in the richest part of Tokyo you are gonna want that to continue.

So I guess you're saying he hacked his own company so he could be vilified globally and make off with funds?

Yeah someone more technical know how than me and how in a bad situation he tried to save his own skin rather than pay back people but my point remains he is being used by the mainstream media as proof that Bitcoin is unreliable and we as a community are supporting it. If he was a bad player then he probably wont be the last but you got to separate Bitcoin and exchanges in the mind of people. A company loses money is not a good reason to suggest money is now dead, we should of supported them in some way as an example of the power of Bitcoin.

Its a crazy thought but what is a fund had been set up to bail them out (those who lost bitcoin not MtGox the company) It would of sent a powerful message that Bitcoin is a force for good and people power, who knows everyone would of made what they donated in the rise in price that positive press would bring while defusing the negative one.....Just a thought not a serious suggestion.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:28:14 PM

hyunsookmom, you are asking a thoughtful question that requires a nuanced answer. Such an inquiry would take research and need facts to base things on.  This is bicointalk, WTF is wrong with you!  Cheesy Just kidding. 

I think people like to believe that when bad things happen it must be a consciousness working against them.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
exocytosis

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:30:50 PM

You should read this:

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014/03/03/exclusive-tibanne-co-ltd-sentenced-2013-mark-karpeless-lies-new/

Then tell me, after reading: Do you trust that man?

Oh, and btw: We know for a fact that Mark has been lying about Gox for months, at the very least.

One of numerous lies: He knew the company was insolvent, yet he accepted fiat- and BTC deposits right up until the moment the site went down without notice. Actually, they probably still accept deposits.
This was nothing short of theft. Not incompetence. But criminal theft.

The man is a criminal. And now everyone feels sorry for him, since he got "hacked" and "his" wealth was "stolen".
greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:47:17 PM

This is not a religion.

The future and value proposition of Bitcoin does not depend on people calling each other "brother" and singing around a goddamn campfire.
hyunsookmom (OP)

Kamehameha!!!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:47:59 PM

You should read this:

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014/03/03/exclusive-tibanne-co-ltd-sentenced-2013-mark-karpeless-lies-new/

Then tell me, after reading: Do you trust that man?

Oh, and btw: We know for a fact that Mark has been lying about Gox for months, at the very least.

One of numerous lies: He knew the company was insolvent, yet he accepted fiat- and BTC deposits right up until the moment the site went down without notice. Actually, they probably still accept deposits.
This was nothing short of theft. Not incompetence. But criminal theft.

The man is a criminal. And now everyone feels sorry for him, since he got "hacked" and "his" wealth was "stolen".

But what if he is a criminal and the worst player to ever be involved in Bitcoin?

I do understand that side of the argument its just we have aligned ourselves with those who oppose and want to use MtGox against Bitcoin.

Maybe what I'm saying is we as a community we should of used the high profile story to Bitcoins benefit by using it as platform to inform why Bitcoin is safe.

hyunsookmom (OP)

Kamehameha!!!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:54:05 PM

This is not a religion.

The future and value proposition of Bitcoin does not depend on people calling each other "brother" and singing around a goddamn campfire.

That's because you don't understand the power of Bitcoin to halt the biggest corruption of peoples wealth and effort in the last 100 years, this isn't a charity but to not recognize it as a potential revolution is more about you're simplistic involvement as a money maker. That's not wrong, just superficial and lacking in big picture perspective.

In the end i'm talking PR and people defending what they believe in. Bitcoin doesn't need it but might save a more rocky road and take away Bitcoin's enemies ammunition.

And lets not forget the inventor clearly had in their targets the corruption of money through fiat expansion.

exocytosis

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:57:01 PM

by using it as platform to inform why Bitcoin is safe.

Is Bitcoin safe? How? What's safe about it?

Wait, did you just say that we should use the MtGox theft as a platform to inform people about the safety of Bitcoin?

How about using the Holocaust as a platform to inform people about Hitler's love of jews instead.

exocytosis

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:02:36 PM

And lets not forget the inventor clearly had in their targets the corruption of money through fiat expansion.

As the history of Bitcoin clearly shows, Bitcoin is exactly the type of thing that attracts the most corrupt criminals and scammers. People like Mark Karpeles. And Bitcoin doesn't undermine the current fiat system, it just builds on top of it, being an even bigger scam than fractional reserve banking itself.

hyunsookmom (OP)

Kamehameha!!!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:04:43 PM

As the history of Bitcoin clearly shows, Bitcoin is exactly the type of thing that attracts the most corrupt criminals and scammers. People like Mark Karpeles. And Bitcoin doesn't undermine the current fiat system, it just builds on top of it, being an even bigger scam than fractional reserve banking itself.

hehehe the history of Bitcoin clearly show....maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read.

hyunsookmom (OP)

Kamehameha!!!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:07:27 PM

by using it as platform to inform why Bitcoin is safe.

Is Bitcoin safe? How? What's safe about it?

Wait, did you just say that we should use the MtGox theft as a platform to inform people about the safety of Bitcoin?

How about using the Holocaust as a platform to inform people about Hitler's love of jews instead.

Think of the millions possibly billions of Bitcoin transactions that go through smoothly without a hitch, when did you last see that balaced view in the news?

No I'm saying don't use the Holocaust to prove that humanity is ONLY capable of pure evil. I admit you are going to have to understand some nuance here, black and white thinking isn't gonna cut it.

meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:10:20 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 10:23:38 PM by meanig

Until Mark starts being honest he deserves no support from anyone, not even his mother!

All the statements so far have been evasive and deceitful. The crap written on mtgox.com today still blames a bug with Bitcoin for all their problems FFS! His new piece of bullshit is that he only noticed millions of dollars was missing from gox bank accounts on Feb 24, the day gox stopped trading. I suppose now he's started to lie he can't go back. The lie needs to keep getting bigger and bigger.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 10:10:23 PM

yep  Smiley

hyunsookmom (OP)

Kamehameha!!!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:15:58 PM

Until Mark starts being honest he deserves no support from anyone, not even his mother!

All the statements so far have evasive and deceitful. The crap written on mtgox.com today still blames a bug with Bitcoin for all their problems FFS! His new piece of bullshit is that he only noticed millions of dollars was missing from gox bank accounts on Feb 24, the day gox stopped trading. I suppose now he's started to lie he can't go back. The lie needs to keep getting bigger and bigger.

Then expect another exchange to be hacked by central governments and another media blast at Bitcoin very soon.

4...3....2.....1.Boom

BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:17:00 PM

All the support for Gox is in the same place as everyone's Goxcoins and Goxbucks.

...in the pocket of Mark Karpeles.

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:26:22 PM

Common sense says to me that if you're the biggest Bitcoin exchange and you're living in the richest part of Tokyo you are gonna want that to continue.

You'd be surprised how fast common sense goes right out the window
when it comes to greedy criminal minds.

pening

Activity: 245

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:47:11 PM

Who on earth would want to support a organisation that either a) massively defrauded its customers or b) was massively incompetent in failing to protect its customer's funds.

A company does either of these things, its good reason to consider that company is dead.
Pangia

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:22:49 PM

Firstly I'm not gonna say they are the perfect company, infact lets assume they are a crap one that was badly managed BUT

Surely they are ultimately brothers in arms involved in trying to profit from trading Bitcoin. They surely didn't want to be hacked and seem to be an early amateur outfit that capitalized early on Bitcoin. But a badly run company doesn't mean the people who support Bitcon should run with the mainstream media and attack them. I expect most exchanges could be hacked which brings me to my point that I believe MtGox was a victim of its own success and so was hacked and made an example of by those in power to discredit Bitcoin.

A day doesn't go by where I dont see a MtGox news report when in reality they lost 500m while banks like RBS lose 5Bn a year and hardly a mention in the mainstream media. So in the end as we collectively gang up against MtGox we are in effect on the side of those who want to destroy MtGox and put up a big sign saying hey this stuff is bad we cant trust it, we must ban or regulate it to shit.

A war is on for the minds of the masses to spread FUD about bitcoin so where is the support for a brother who has fallen even if we think they are idiots?

What exchange will be next for an NSA hack job?

Will we cheer on every Bitcoin site that gets hacked?

Pricks like you are the reason that Karpeles got away with his theft for so long. Always burying your head in the sand and seeing the "good" in criminals.  You're probably one of the assholes who sent me a nasty PM last year whenever I posted that MTGOX might be insolvent.

Fuck You.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:47:12 PM

There is no but.

If you're going to take on the responsibility of handling other peoples' money you need to recognize what you are and are not capable of. I would feel bad losing $1 of someone else's money. MtGox was handling millions. He wasn't "nearly there" simply getting tripped up by a fluke. As I pointed out, he was completely in over his head, having admittedly lost at least $26K all by himself with a scripting error.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: