Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:32:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts have been left unsaid.  (Read 6817 times)
I.Goldstein (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 06:15:09 PM

College tuitions are overpriced due to federal subsidies. When colleges will get paid regardless if a student defaults or not, you will see inflated prices like this. You guys are only playing with symptoms at this point.

Your main problem seems to stem from your inability to realize that you can't call someone an idiot while restating their premise.

And Atlas Shrugged is not that tough a read. Download the audio version if you are lazy.

Heh. I don't understand your point.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
I.Goldstein (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 06:17:30 PM

Oh but it is a tough read. It fails as a novel. It is terribly written.
rainingbitcoins

Activity: 728
Merit: 252

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 06:21:49 PM

Wait, do I agree with Atlas on something? Are you sure you're the real Atlas?

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 06:37:43 PM

Heh. I don't understand your point.

Really?

Doh! The government is giving student money to pay needlessly high tuition rates. THEN, we are not even asking them to pay it back. Oh, that makes perfect sense now. Certainly, just like with free mortgage money, free education money will drive up prices.

College tuitions are overpriced due to federal subsidies. When colleges will get paid regardless if a student defaults or not, you will see inflated prices like this. You guys are only playing with symptoms at this point.

How can you not see this as a restatement of my point while calling me an idiot?
I.Goldstein (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 06:40:10 PM

I don't recall calling you an idiot. I'm sorry if you felt that was directed towards you.
Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 06:41:48 PM

I don't recall calling you an idiot. I'm sorry if you felt that was directed towards you.

No worries!
Rarity

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 09:41:02 PM

Gambling addiction can be very dangerous, I hope you will not make this same mistake again.  You have worked very hard for your money, don't risk it, make every decision with a Clear Body and a Clear Mind.  

Personally I believe gambling should be illegal, especially online.  As much as some folks think personal responsibility is the only consideration there are often times when people are underage or don't understand the risks or are just plain addicted to the thrill.  

"Money is like manure: Spread around, it helps things grow. Piled up in one place, it just stinks."
I.Goldstein (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 09:47:43 PM

Pseudo-Buddhism. As in so many other things, he reads the words but he doesn't actually grasp the concept.

Alright, Lolie, show me the way. Show me how I am not grasping the fact that desire is pointless since all will be lost in the end. Haha. Feel free to continue viewing me through your rose-tinted glasses. When you're interested in actually getting to know me, hit me up some time.
I.Goldstein (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 09:51:37 PM

Gambling addiction can be very dangerous, I hope you will not make this same mistake again.  You have worked very hard for your money, don't risk it, make every decision with a Clear Body and a Clear Mind.  

Personally I believe gambling should be illegal, especially online.  As much as some folks think personal responsibility is the only consideration there are often times when people are underage or don't understand the risks or are just plain addicted to the thrill.  

Meh, I like losing things sometimes. Declines add nice contrast. Sometimes I dream of being thrown in the street with absolutely nothing but the clothes on my back. If life is a game, it might as well be played on its hardest setting. Combating a gambling addiction would be interesting. Well, any addiction really. I have never truly had one before.

...but yes a bird in hand is worth two in bush. I will always prefer certainty. Again, I regretted this gamble immediately but it's not over yet. I might win although I'll happily accept a loss.
I.Goldstein (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 10:27:56 PM

Yeah, Atlas has said before that he (supposedly) ascribes to a sort of Buddhism, mixed with other philosophy, including, of course, Randian objectivism. Which is really, really weird, considering that the Randians all talk about desire and will as the prime movers of all human endeavor. The supermen are just the guys who wanted it more than everyone else, and that desire led them to accomplish great things. And Atlas himself talks about that poo poo all the time - having the will to do such and so, having the desire is what will make thus and such work, or whatever the gently caress.

Basically, claiming to be a Buddhist Randian is like being a Machiavellian anarchist.

I am not even going to address the inaccurate interpretation of Rand. I hold accomplishments of creation as one of life's pleasures but I do not cling to it. In the end, it's a matter of semantics and what defines desire in both contexts. Rand is neutral when it comes to desire consuming a person. She only addresses a man's long-term happiness as his prime motivator in life. I find clinging to desires as against this end.
I.Goldstein (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 10:32:59 PM

But you get to sound more worldly while at the same time insulting an entire religion. Atlas was probably going to watch The Buddha documentary on PBS, but his inner randian told him accepting public goods would make him weak.

Every good that is worth desiring is useful to the public. I find the idea of a "public good" silly. Everything benefits the public in some shape or form -- except looters and parasites.
BitMagic

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 12:24:52 AM

But you get to sound more worldly while at the same time insulting an entire religion. Atlas was probably going to watch The Buddha documentary on PBS, but his inner randian told him accepting public goods would make him weak.

Every good that is worth desiring is useful to the public. I find the idea of a "public good" silly. Everything benefits the public in some shape or form -- except looters and parasites.

Have you ever looked up the traditional economic definition of "public good"? It's a pretty useful classification of goods that withstand the difficulties of traditional free market pricing mechanisms.

This is an example where you would probably be surprised at your interest in reading up on actual terms.

Please give me your money, because I am a shameless libertarian elite who deserves your money more than you do: 9Hkao8U82WWDp6SQGn4k7ad9gT1LWeL5s3
I.Goldstein (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 01:26:41 AM

Have you ever looked up the traditional economic definition of "public good"? It's a pretty useful classification of goods that withstand the difficulties of traditional free market pricing mechanisms.

This is an example where you would probably be surprised at your interest in reading up on actual terms.

I think the traditional term can go fuck itself.
I.Goldstein (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 01:28:46 AM

He also seems to think that desire only applies to material possessions.

Look, you guys are hopeless. The whole lot of you. You are literally pulling these assumptions out of Lolie's ass. You know very little about me.

Let me turn things around here: Consider the possibility that every axiom you have pushed upon me could be wrong.
I.Goldstein (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 01:38:18 AM

More on topic, I find it loving hilarious Atlas claims to be some sort of Randian Buddhist. Atlas, dude, those two beliefs are utterly, wholly irrenconcilable. To embrace one you must reject fundental tenets of the other. Saying you are both is a good way to show that you understand neither.

Hahaha. Look, I don't know where you gentlemen heard that I follow both of these things unequivocally. I've only taken the parts I like. God forbid I ever follow Objectivism rigidly. Holy shit that would be a nightmare.
I.Goldstein (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 01:46:48 AM

Atlas just keeps getting better and better.

You know it, brother. I'll be here all week.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 01:47:15 AM

atlas you get those posters yet?

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
I.Goldstein (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 01:50:22 AM

I did. My school certainly appreciated them. : ) Thanks, Deslok.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 01:53:20 AM

You should have taken some pictures to collect the few coins left in the promotion

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
I.Goldstein (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 01:55:31 AM

You should have taken some pictures to collect the few coins left in the promotion
Yeah I could of but I don't need to be paid to do this. It's valuable unto itself.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: