Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 01:35:36 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin the most important technological achievement of our lifetime?  (Read 3325 times)
Zeitgeistler (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:34:51 PM

Just listening to Antonopolous - more and more I think we are a part of something absolutely legendary.  Totally apart from bitcoin the currency, I believe bitcoin the protocol will revolutionize the global economy in ways we can't even yet imagine.  The times they are a-changing.

just my 2 bits...
BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:37:44 PM

I'm gonna say no.

If within 10 years Bitcoin is the world's sole currency and has made thousands of new millionaires - my answer is still no.

That honor will probably go to something medical... I love the idea behind Bitcoin but come on - most of us are just greedy nerds. Medical science saves lives.

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
exocytosis

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:39:39 PM

No.
Dragonkiller

Activity: 378

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:41:43 PM

yes
giantdragon
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:43:16 PM

I think an universal 3D printer, capable to produce any stuff, will be the most important achievement and have greatest impact on human civilization.
Bitcoin may be put on the second place.
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:54:47 PM

lifetime is long so we do not know

the idea behind the protocol for economics - probably yes

Dragonkiller

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:56:29 PM

I think an universal 3D printer, capable to produce any stuff, will be the most important achievement and have greatest impact on human civilization.

i can't wait to download a car just in spite of those anti-piracy ads
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 12:03:32 AM

What you do is buy a 3D printer, and build 100 more. Then you can churn out cars and guns and apparently Yoda heads on a mass scale Cheesy

Dragonkiller

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 12:13:00 AM

What you do is buy a 3D printer, and build 100 more. Then you can churn out cars and guns and apparently Yoda heads on a mass scale Cheesy

Cheesy
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 12:16:53 AM

I'm gonna say no.

If within 10 years Bitcoin is the world's sole currency and has made thousands of new millionaires - my answer is still no.

That honor will probably go to something medical... I love the idea behind Bitcoin but come on - most of us are just greedy nerds. Medical science saves lives.

Do you have any idea how many lives can be saved if Bitcoin can save us from financial debt slavery and oppression? Especially 3rd world countries could benefit greatly. You have no idea how much of our lives are being controlled and demolished by the tyranny of the ones on top of the current financial pyramid.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 12:17:55 AM

may be the most impressive bubble of our lifetimes, but technology... no. if it was so incredible, we'd already be doing more with it than just speculating and buying bed sheets online.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
btc4ever

Activity: 321

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 12:24:37 AM

If bitcoin is able to effectively compete with national currencies to the point that the people wake up and dump fiat en masse, then we could be looking at the largest shift in power from government to individuals in history.

so if that happens, then yes.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 12:26:18 AM

No, not at all, unless you are like 10.
Cyberlight

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 12:28:29 AM

On of the.
BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 12:31:05 AM

I'm gonna say no.

Do you have any idea how many lives can be saved if Bitcoin can save us from financial debt slavery and oppression? Especially 3rd world countries could benefit greatly. You have no idea how much of our lives are being controlled and demolished by the tyranny of the ones on top of the current financial pyramid.

Well said and I agree.

You know, there were people who attended the World's Fair to see the lightbulb unveiled who were also alive to watch the Moon Landing on TV.

There are people who watched the Moon Landing on TV who are alive today and aware of Bitcoin. And don't care.

Just putting that into perspective. Have fun with your tin foil hat.

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 12:47:23 AM

I'm gonna say no.

Upsetting the current status quo could have more far reachijg implications than making some greedy nerds happy. This is a disputive technology that does have the potential to make a huge positive impact.

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
kkaspar

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

banned but not broken

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 12:53:32 AM

Just listening to Antonopolous - more and more I think we are a part of something absolutely legendary.  Totally apart from bitcoin the currency, I believe bitcoin the protocol will revolutionize the global economy in ways we can't even yet imagine.  The times they are a-changing.

just my 2 bits...

In our lifetime? Why stop there... it's the most important thing in the history of world. Penicillin and electricity? Nah, Bitcoin! A lot of empirical researches have even found that there was no Big Bang, there was only bitcoin.

Jokes aside, bitcoin is a nice step in the evolution of finance, but keep a cool head if you don't want to look like an Jehovah's Witness Smiley
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 12:58:54 AM

I've allowed myself the thought to cross my mind.

traderCJ

Activity: 280

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:00:01 AM

This is like calling Microsoft Windows the most important tech achievement of our lifetimes.  It played a role - a cobblestone in the road of progress, nothing more.  To predict whether Bitcoin will beat a competitor 10 years out, or even 1 year out is impossible.  It's not like rolling out a new engine that would take 40 years to completely replace current tech.  Things move so quickly when it's purely code.  Roll the dice if you're feeling lucky.
giantdragon
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:08:46 AM

Anti-pirate laws will be irrelevant for this 3D printer. As it can print car, as well it can print RPG, SAM, missiles, jet fighters etc so forces of the ordinary people and pro-corporate govt will be balanced enough.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: