Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:54:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wired Magazine: The Inside Story of MtGox  (Read 2473 times)
okashira (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:23:39 AM

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2014/03/bitcoin-exchange/

A Quote:

Ver and Powell were set to work through the weekend, but when they arrived at the company’s tiny office that Saturday, there was a surprise. Mark Karpeles had decided to take the weekend off. The two volunteers were flabbergasted. “I thought that was completely insane and demoralizing for the rest of the team,” Powell remembers. On Monday, Powell says, Karpeles did return to work, but he spent part of the day stuffing envelopes. “I was like: ‘Dude why are you doing this? You can do this anytime. The site is offline. You need to get the site online.’”

Finally, some actual journalism.

Cliffs: Mark is narcissistic, incompetent and lazy.

I suspect that in the US, with such gross negligence, his personal assets, which I am sure are substantial and exceed his company's "debts," would not be protected in a bankruptcy case. All that needs to be shown is that he intermingled finances.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
okashira (OP)

Activity: 45

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:29:19 AM

From a distance, the world’s largest bitcoin exchange looked like a towering example of renegade entrepreneurism.

Only if you are deaf, dumb, blind, and stupid.

Victim blaming benefits no-one.

"From a distance," the exchange was one of the tops in bitcoin. The proof is in the pudding: the media thought so.
For members of this forum, Mtgox was an obvious disaster, however, we are the minority.

BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:32:01 AM

Great article.  Great insight into Mark Karpeles personality and strange behaviors...

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
h3rlihy

Activity: 356
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:39:36 AM

"From a distance," the exchange was one of the tops in bitcoin. The proof is in the pudding: the media thought so.
For members of this forum, Mtgox was an obvious disaster, however, we are the minority.

This. It was so obviously going downhill when there was such a huge gap between the price at gox and the price at other exchanges. But the majority clearly did not think their sh*t through at the end of the day.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:57:23 AM

Great article.  Great insight into Mark Karpeles personality and strange behaviors...

-B-

What's frightening is that it's not uncommon. Operating a successful business involves doing a hell of a lot of tedious shit, more and more of it as the business gets bigger.  You can't just ignore that shit and you can only delegate so much of it to other people but the more you play the "successful entrepreneur" game the less likely it is that people will call you on your bullshit - or the more likely it is that you'll dismiss any criticism because you think you're smarter than everyone else.

A lot of people get hooked on "being a CEO" and all the trappings, which isn't the same thing as being a successful business person.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
BittBurger

Activity: 924

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:13:23 AM

-B-

What's frightening is that it's not uncommon. Operating a successful business involves doing a hell of a lot of tedious shit, more and more of it as the business gets bigger.  You can't just ignore that shit and you can only delegate so much of it to other people but the more you play the "successful entrepreneur" game the less likely it is that people will call you on your bullshit - or the more likely it is that you'll dismiss any criticism because you think you're smarter than everyone else.

A lot of people get hooked on "being a CEO" and all the trappings, which isn't the same thing as being a successful business person.

I feel bad saying this but all signs point to him being a Sociopath.

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

Plain and simple.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:41:01 AM

So, basically exactly as we all knew and suspected, deep down. He's a geek that has no business, running a business. What a disaster.

more or less retired.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 11:34:22 AM

-B-

drinking 3 star bucks frappoccinos a day tends to have this effect.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 12:37:31 PM

Good read.

Its scary to think about how everyone gave this guy so much money yet all he wanted to do was lock himself away and write some php.

The thing I don't get is he clearly wasn't enjoying being the ceo so why didn't he pay someone to do all those day to day duties. Still own the business and get paid, sit about and code. Its mad that he didnt do that. From the article he sounds completely disinterested. He had/has so much money why would he just let it run itself into the ground.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 12:38:27 PM

From a distance, the world’s largest bitcoin exchange looked like a towering example of renegade entrepreneurism.

Only if you are deaf, dumb, blind, and stupid.
Most of the customers who lost their funds, were.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
nmtrader100

Activity: 51

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:46:18 PM

"$27.4 million missing from its bank accounts"

He is going to jail.  This is criminal.  No different than what Bernie Madoff did. 
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:05:34 PM

I've learned over the years that "Wired" isn't a credible news source.

Its the perfect read when you want to see the what meme the government is trying to push, but has nothing to do with the truth.

I'm grumpy!!
Pangia

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:11:03 PM

Karpeles is a sociopath.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
Pangia

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:11:40 PM

Its the perfect read when you want to see the what meme the government is trying to push, but has nothing to do with the truth.

Yes, you're right. The whole MTGOX thing is just a misunderstanding.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
bitvestor

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:13:07 PM

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2014/03/bitcoin-exchange/

A Quote:

Ver and Powell were set to work through the weekend, but when they arrived at the company’s tiny office that Saturday, there was a surprise. Mark Karpeles had decided to take the weekend off. The two volunteers were flabbergasted. “I thought that was completely insane and demoralizing for the rest of the team,” Powell remembers. On Monday, Powell says, Karpeles did return to work, but he spent part of the day stuffing envelopes. “I was like: ‘Dude why are you doing this? You can do this anytime. The site is offline. You need to get the site online.’”

Finally, some actual journalism.

Cliffs: Mark is narcissistic, incompetent and lazy.

I suspect that in the US, with such gross negligence, his personal assets, which I am sure are substantial and exceed his company's "debts," would not be protected in a bankruptcy case. All that needs to be shown is that he intermingled finances.

Well, he was the boss.. Oh yea he was then!!
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 06:13:16 PM

Yes, you're right. The whole MTGOX thing is just a misunderstanding.

That's not what I said. I think the mtgox thing has more to do with government and fiat bankers than it does with Mark Karpeles. He's just the patsy at this point.

I'm grumpy!!
freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:13:00 PM

Hey, let's jump on every Gox thread and harp on about how stupid their customers are and how clever we are... give it a break guys, everyone got the message and most of them aren't even on these forums! I wasn't even a customer and I'm getting tired of the self-praising posts that abound on every thread... how are those post counts going eh?

Enough! Please?

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:40:40 PM

Interestingly nobody seems to mention the fact that the insiders who experienced MtGox's handling of the 2011 hack seemed to be bothered to notify the customer base about this.

Particularily, when there was such a crisis and Mark took the weekend off, and then came in the next monday and started to stuff envelopes, this was a very red flag, that the insiders in question should've relayed to the larger community.

Said insiders are today heavily involved in bitcoin. How can we trust them to tell us when there's a problem with any of their services that we should know about?

If they wanted to stay 'loyal', they could've even leaked the information anonymously.

We must realize that for many people, monetary interests trumps everything, and that they will do anything to accomplish their goals and tweak things to their benefit.

The sign of small things not looking well, more often than not indicates that the larger picture is not good as well.

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 09:03:04 AM
Last edit: January 09, 2015, 09:48:41 AM by medUSA

This is such a great article! Surprised to see so few have left a comment...
It explains why Gox PR is non-existent, cos Mark K chose to shut himself off in a crisis:

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 11:05:04 AM

Good read.

Its scary to think about how everyone gave this guy so much money yet all he wanted to do was lock himself away and write some php.

The thing I don't get is he clearly wasn't enjoying being the ceo so why didn't he pay someone to do all those day to day duties. Still own the business and get paid, sit about and code. Its mad that he didnt do that. From the article he sounds completely disinterested. He had/has so much money why would he just let it run itself into the ground.

He was either put in place as the fall guy, or to control the flow of bitcoins, something he wouldn't have been able to do if a real CEO were in place. I'm hard-pressed to think of another scenario.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: