Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:14:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So... I just spent all my paper IOU notes. My life's savings!  (Read 3919 times)
dre_2ooo (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:10:35 AM
Last edit: March 05, 2014, 01:48:45 PM by dre_2ooo

Yup, I just spent the last of my fiat money.  I am now fully solvent!!

In December 2013, I bought $4k of mining hardware and have about 4.5BTC as of this writing.

One day last week, I paid off my mortgage ($96k) and spent the rest on gold.  I figured those are better places for a constantly inflating currency to be invested rather than sitting in a <1% savings account or unpredictable stock market.  

The interesting thing will be to see what the difference between gold and BTC will be.   I picked up 3oz of gold for about $4,200.  So it'll be interesting to see which will serve me better in the long run!  

I know this is just a small drop in the bucket compared to some of you whales out there, but it's my little contribution to keeping my hard-earned money out of the banksters debt-slavery system.  Smiley (except all the gold and paper wallets, which are stored safely in a bank security vault lol)

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:54:31 AM

Congrats!  Smiley

In a world fiat debt based system, to determine true wealth it's not how much money you have, but how little you owe. Once one becomes debt free (surprisingly rare) then it's a measure how far into the positive you go with real assets, e.g. houses, land etc.

Boris-The-Blade

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:46:28 AM

Its always a good idea to diversify your capital. Ive done something similar to you.
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:40:42 AM

Yup, I just spent the last of my fiat money.  I am now fully solvent!!

In December 2013, I bought $4k of mining hardware and have about 4.5BTC as of this writing.

One day last week, I paid off my mortgage and spent the rest on gold.  I figured those are better places for a constantly inflating currency to be invested rather than sitting in a <1% savings account or unpredictable stock market. 

The interesting thing will be to see what the difference between gold and BTC will be.   I picked up 3oz of gold for about $4,200.  So it'll be interesting to see which will serve me better in the long run! 

I know this is just a small drop in the bucket compared to some of you whales out there, but it's my little contribution to keeping my hard-earned money out of the banksters debt-slavery system.  Smiley (except all the gold and paper wallets, which are stored safely in a bank security vault lol)

Just curious, I would you pay for your daily expenses? In your area, are you able to buy everything you need with bitcoins?

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:55:24 AM

Hi dre_2ooo,

I am 100% into cryptocurencies. No fucking FIAT.

Are you an expert of gold ? I would like to get some advices about it.

Did you get coins or bars ?

What about silver ? People say that it has more potential than gold. Is that true ?

What about other precious metals ?

Thanks.

waldox

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 09:59:26 AM

go to your local coin dealer and get some silver and gold coins/bars

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:15:42 AM

go to your local coin dealer and get some silver and gold coins/bars

Especially coins if you can. Jewelry and coins gain more value over time than bars.

atc1

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:21:01 AM

One day last week, I paid off my mortgage and spent the rest on gold.  I figured those are better places for a constantly inflating currency to be invested rather than sitting in a <1% savings account or unpredictable stock market. 

The interesting thing will be to see what the difference between gold and BTC will be.   I picked up 3oz of gold for about $4,200.  So it'll be interesting to see which will serve me better in the long run! 

I know this is just a small drop in the bucket compared to some of you whales out there, but it's my little contribution to keeping my hard-earned money out of the banksters debt-slavery system.  Smiley (except all the gold and paper wallets, which are stored safely in a bank security vault lol)

Just curious, I would you pay for your daily expenses? In your area, are you able to buy everything you need with bitcoins?

This. Fiat is irreplacable in daily life as of now. How are you managing it?

miketonic

Activity: 185

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:54:10 AM

This is very interesting. I think living without FIAT isn't possible yet, but is it? Your moves seem nice and it's good that you have some diversification, but why would you say that stock markets are more unpredictable than BTC or metal markets? One thing in stock markets is that you gain more capital annually trough dividends. Your gold coins however don't get any bigger. Don't get me wrong, I own physical gold too, but I'm just interested why you don't see stock markets as part of diversification.
bitvestor

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 11:22:50 AM

Congrats!  Smiley

In a world fiat debt based system, to determine true wealth it's not how much money you have, but how little you owe. Once one becomes debt free (surprisingly rare) then it's a measure how far into the positive you go with real assets, e.g. houses, land etc.

This is the true quote right here, i am debt free because of bitcoins surprising but true and i trust bitcoin more everyday and not about the value anymore, weather the price is down or high its always a saviour to me..
The only thing one faces now, which i see now as un-escapable is TAX, from purchased houses rented or for other commercial purposes, the govt always find a way to hit back at us but i see a bright future with bitcoins even if all i have is bitcoins and no fiat i will always be hopeful.
dre_2ooo (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:09:35 PM

This. Fiat is irreplacable in daily life as of now. How are you managing it?

Good questions.  I am still paid in fiat, of course, by my employer.  My plan from here on out is to use only what's needed for day-to-day spending in fiat, as my area is not BTC enlightened (although I have bought/sold on craigslist in BTC). Anything extra, that I would have traditionally put in a savings account, is going into real assists (ie. Bitcoin/miners, gold, improving my house, etc...)

Hi dre_2ooo,

I am 100% into cryptocurencies. No fucking FIAT.

Are you an expert of gold ? I would like to get some advices about it.

Did you get coins or bars ?

What about silver ? People say that it has more potential than gold. Is that true ?

What about other precious metals ?

Thanks.

Good for you! Smiley

I am not an expert, but I did a lot of research online.  I decided to buy physical gold, not paper bullshit.  I just went to my local coin shop and picked up some American gold eagle coins.  I used an accurate pocket-scale and a set of digital calipers to verify they were the correct dimensions and weight (nothing is denser than gold, except some radioactive metals).  Then I held each coin on a finger and lightly tapped it to make sure it gave out a beautiful long-lasting ringing noise at the same frequency I heard on Youtube videos.  I am paranoid as I have seen lots of articles and posts about Chinese counterfeit gold, so these tests satisfied my scrutiny.  Plus, the shop has a good reputation and has been in business over 25yrs.

I don't know anything about silver, other than it is much easier to fake and more volatile in the market. I only wanted gold since it has been the go-to source of intrinsic value since the dawn of man.

This is very interesting. I think living without FIAT isn't possible yet, but is it? Your moves seem nice and it's good that you have some diversification, but why would you say that stock markets are more unpredictable than BTC or metal markets? One thing in stock markets is that you gain more capital annually trough dividends. Your gold coins however don't get any bigger. Don't get me wrong, I own physical gold too, but I'm just interested why you don't see stock markets as part of diversification.

Stocks are volatile, to me, since they are subject to the whim of the banksters and fed.  Inflation rises? Stocks rise.  Some bubble pops?  Stocks fall.  Dollar collapses? Stocks fall.  The Fed is printing 40 Billion (with a B) USD per month to buy bonds to try and emulate a negative interest rate.  This exponential growth can't last.  When the Dollar collapses, it will bring all the world's markets down with it.  

Gold, real estate, firearms, long-storable food, and BTC should be safe from these collapses, albeit they won't earn you the same rate of return as the market... (except BTC, that'll go to the moon, of course Cheesy).  The market is run by the fuckers that want us all to stay enslaved in the debt fiat bank-run oligarchy disguised as "Republic Capitalism."  More than the above points, my heart-felt believe about not wanting to be a cog in that debt machine keeps me out of the markets.  The notion that you must keep your money in their controlled and insider-manipulated stock system to keep your bank notes from losing value over time because their rigged fiat-printing insolvent money policy is not even a store of value makes me sick.  I'll have no part of it, thank you.

Congrats!  Smiley

Thank you! Smiley. It feels like pure freedom!  I have worked so hard and been so disciplined to save up for this day.  It's ironic, though, how I had to be part of the system by taking out a loan for a house to acquire the house, so I couldn't have gotten to this point without monetizing debt. Weird.

Congrats!  Smiley

This is the true quote right here, i am debt free because of bitcoins surprising but true and i trust bitcoin more everyday and not about the value anymore, weather the price is down or high its always a saviour to me..
The only thing one faces now, which i see now as un-escapable is TAX, from purchased houses rented or for other commercial purposes, the govt always find a way to hit back at us but i see a bright future with bitcoins even if all i have is bitcoins and no fiat i will always be hopeful.

Good for you!  Yes, taxes are inescapable.  It makes me angry to even think that the income tax was invented to help pay off the goddamned interest charge the gov't owes the Fed.  I'm all for building roads, schools, fire dept., etc..., but fuck that bullshit --my fucking wages are going to payoff some rich 1% private banksters' interest charge (.25% currently of all the money printed, every day).  
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:30:43 PM

Don't buy gold or bitcoin, buy scarce non-renewable resources instead.

Get yourself a barrel of oil and store it. You'll be a billionaire in 30 years.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:32:39 PM

Troll spotted.
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 02:36:08 PM

Troll spotted.
Not really. If they don't find any new oil resources it will eventually run out and people would buy oil at very high prices.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
miketonic

Activity: 185

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:38:12 PM

Stocks are volatile, to me, since they are subject to the whim of the banksters and fed.  Inflation rises? Stocks rise.  Some bubble pops?  Stocks fall.  Dollar collapses? Stocks fall.  The Fed is printing 40 Billion (with a B) USD per month to buy bonds to try and emulate a negative interest rate.  This exponential growth can't last.  When the Dollar collapses, it will bring all the world's markets down with it.  

Gold, real estate, firearms, long-storable food, and BTC should be safe from these collapses, albeit they won't earn you the same rate of return as the market... (except BTC, that'll go to the moon, of course Cheesy).  The market is run by the fuckers that want us all to stay enslaved in the debt fiat bank-run oligarchy disguised as "Republic Capitalism."  More than the above points, my heart-felt believe about not wanting to be a cog in that debt machine keeps me out of the markets.  The notion that you must keep your money in their controlled and insider-manipulated stock system to keep your bank notes from losing value over time because their rigged fiat-printing insolvent money policy is not even a store of value makes me sick.  I'll have no part of it, thank you.

I agree on many things. If dollar collapses (which seems inevitable), the assets you mentioned will indeed be very valuable. But if you choose stocks like Coca-Cola or Procter and Gamble, which have raised their dividends for over 50 consecutive years, I'd say it would take a lot for them to decrease their dividends. Their prices can go down of course even if they don't cut dividend, but I find it very difficult to imagine a situation where you can buy Coca-Cola yielding > 4 %. Having that kind of dividend history makes prices of these kind of stocks very stable. And owning them provide you with annually growing stream of income.

I want to point out that I'm not against your decisions, it's just great to have a conversation about stocks with someone  Cheesy
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 02:42:34 PM

I was at a similar spot as OP once. At times I was 110% in bitcoin. That doesn't mean I (or he) didn't have cash in these moments. It means having fiat debts exeeding the cash in the pocket while having btc.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:44:10 PM

Troll spotted.
Not really. If they don't find any new oil resources it will eventually run out and people would buy oil at very high prices.

Nope. The price of oil will go up and stabilise as demand will decline with time.
We only depend on oil on short term, not on long term.
Once you switch to other energy and technology you are not dependent on it any more.

No point on keeping oil-barrels as storing is very expensive : the volume is very big compared to the value.
Oil-barrel need maintenance, you need to protect them from heat, cold, water and damages.
Your oil-barrels can get robbed or damaged.
Almost no one is buying oil at the ratio of a single barrel. Transportation is too expensive to consider delivering a single or few barrels.

Even if the value of oil increase, you need to find a buyer, deliver it and you have to pay years of storage.
maurya78

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:50:44 PM

Love the commitment to an unusual and hopefully lucrative lifestyle choice

dre_2ooo (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:26:03 PM

Stocks are volatile, to me, since they are subject to the whim of the banksters and fed.  Inflation rises? Stocks rise.  Some bubble pops?  Stocks fall.  Dollar collapses? Stocks fall.  The Fed is printing 40 Billion (with a B) USD per month to buy bonds to try and emulate a negative interest rate.  This exponential growth can't last.  When the Dollar collapses, it will bring all the world's markets down with it.  

I agree on many things. If dollar collapses (which seems inevitable), the assets you mentioned will indeed be very valuable. But if you choose stocks like Coca-Cola or Procter and Gamble, which have raised their dividends for over 50 consecutive years, I'd say it would take a lot for them to decrease their dividends. Their prices can go down of course even if they don't cut dividend, but I find it very difficult to imagine a situation where you can buy Coca-Cola yielding > 4 %. Having that kind of dividend history makes prices of these kind of stocks very stable. And owning them provide you with annually growing stream of income.

I want to point out that I'm not against your decisions, it's just great to have a conversation about stocks with someone  Cheesy

Yes this is true and a fun conversation.  I welcome all points of view.   To have enough in coca cola, etc.. to where the dividend income is significant, means that a significant amount of one's wealth is subject to a market collapse or if liquidity is needed and the market is down, I wouldn't want to sell to provide said liquidity.  

With gold\BTC, they are highly liquid and you can keep them in your possession whilst still having potential to appreciate.  I (and most of us) do own stocks by proxy via the 401k through my work. So, I guess I actually am diversified into them as well, but they're kind of out of sight/out of mind.  Tongue

Real estate is not liquid, but caaaaaaan always be borrowed against in times of dire need.  If shit hit the fan, turning stocks into food, shelter, and comfort seems highly inefficient and risky to me.

I guess at the end of the day, I value being solvent and value relying on fiat as little possible.  I absolutely seek to increase my wealth, but I'm not trying to be some wolf of btc wall street or Gordon Gecko or get absurdly rich in my investments.
Arksun

Activity: 616

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:32:25 PM

Troll spotted.

Nope. The price of oil will go up and stabilise as demand will decline with time.
We only depend on oil on short term, not on long term.
Once you switch to other energy and technology you are not dependent on it any more.

No point on keeping oil-barrels as storing is very expensive : the volume is very big compared to the value.
Oil-barrel need maintenance, you need to protect them from heat, cold, water and damages.
Your oil-barrels can get robbed or damaged.
Almost no one is buying oil at the ratio of a single barrel. Transportation is too expensive to consider delivering a single or few barrels.

Even if the value of oil increase, you need to find a buyer, deliver it and you have to pay years of storage.

Even if we switched to 100% electric vehicles,   every single mechanically moving device (including the cogs in an electric motor) rely on... you guessed it.... oil.  Oil will ALWAYS be precious. Think about it, think about every single moving part in machinary in industry that builds... well... everything!

▄▄█▀▀█▄▄
  ▄▄█████▄▄█████▄▄
████  ███  ███  ████
  ▀▀█████▀▀█████▀▀

▀█▄▄  ▀▀█▄▄█▀▀   ▄▄█
 ▀▀███▄▄     ▄▄██▀██
     ▀███   ██▀  ▄█
██     ██  ██ ▄██▀██
▀██    ██  ███▀  ▄██
 ▀███▄▄██  ██ ▄███▀
    ▀▀███  ▀██▀▀
Just.Bet 

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
DICE
LOTTERY
PLINKO
COIN FLIP
CRASH
WHEEL
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
        ███████       ▄▄██▄
                  ▄▄███▀▀██▄
      ██████   ▄███████▄▄███▄
               ▀██  █████████▄
                ▀█████████▀▀██▄
████████████     ▀███▀▀███▄▄██▀
██  ████  ██      ▀██▄▄███▀▀
█████▀▀█████  ██   ▀██▀▀
█████▄▄█████
██  ████  ██   ██████
████████████
DECENTRALIZED
PROVABLY FAIR
ON CHAIN GAMES
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY NOW
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
[/center]
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: