Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:38:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Legality of crypto around the world  (Read 265 times)
altcoin_fantasy (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2018, 09:23:38 PM

I put together this article on legality of crypto around the world for anyone who is wondering where crypto is legal, illegal or a grey area: https://bitfalls.com/2018/08/31/cryptocurrency-regulation-across-the-world/. Hope it's useful!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1567

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2018, 11:24:38 PM

Your definition of 'illegal':

Illegal – Any use of cryptocurrencies, including purchase and trading, is considered illegal and prosecutions may be applied if discovered.

Then you have:

China

Access to all domestic and foreign cryptocurrency exchanges and ICO websites has been blocked and ICOs are banned.

It's a bit weird to say Bitcoin is illegal in China, when majority of hashpower is located in China. They did crack down on exchanges, but, afaik, peer 2 peer and OTC trading is still allowed, just as possession of cryptos is.

How about tweaking the definition of illegality to include "heavy restrictions" on usage of cryptos, rather than suggesting that it's outright banned?

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
BQ

Activity: 616
Merit: 53

CoinMetro - the future of exchanges

View Profile
September 02, 2018, 12:32:10 AM

Illegal – Any use of cryptocurrencies, including purchase and trading, is considered illegal and prosecutions may be applied if discovered.

Then you have:

China

Access to all domestic and foreign cryptocurrency exchanges and ICO websites has been blocked and ICOs are banned.

It's a bit weird to say Bitcoin is illegal in China, when majority of hashpower is located in China. They did crack down on exchanges, but, afaik, peer 2 peer and OTC trading is still allowed, just as possession of cryptos is.

How about tweaking the definition of illegality to include "heavy restrictions" on usage of cryptos, rather than suggesting that it's outright banned?

What's the gain or motivation behind "cracking down on exchanges", if people are still allowed to trade it? isn't it pretty easy to go around it somehow, with a new type of exchange that is p2p  Shocked

5 EUR free crypto on signup! XCM exchange token ⚜⚜⚜  CoinMetro - Copy Trading - Margin - 0% maker fee  ⚜⚜⚜ - generate €500 volume in July for a chance to win €100!
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 02, 2018, 02:30:47 AM

Then you have:

China

All this points not only to author error but maybe something else. Its hard to define what "bitcoin illegal" is exactly. Some countries have bigger restrictions, others only small ones, but there are also countries with full ban no matter what.
In general bitcoin is legal in enough countries (especially huge ones) that makes those ones with bitcoin ban irrevelant. Its my opinion tho.
chocolah29

Activity: 588
Merit: 128

View Profile
September 02, 2018, 08:50:34 AM

Then you have:

China

What's the gain or motivation behind "cracking down on exchanges", if people are still allowed to trade it? isn't it pretty easy to go around it somehow, with a new type of exchange that is p2p  Shocked

Doing p2p without the authorization of government is more attainable besides only ico are banned and not the usage of bitcoin. OP should amend his article.

I'm quite impress with the article that summarize the regulations of cryptos all over the world. And I'm more interested in Sweden for their legal tender for bitcoin and pushing through their own crypto which I think will help the economy yet centralization will be viable.

And what really intrigues me is Iran for pushing their own coin yet they banned cryptos. Huh

SUBSCRIBE NOW
Tudors

Activity: 70
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 02, 2018, 09:05:49 AM

Switzerland and Sweden are the most advanced counties that fully legalize cryptos. Unfortunately, the cost of HQ creation and living there are too high.
BQ

View Profile
September 02, 2018, 12:06:30 PM

Switzerland and Sweden are the most advanced counties that fully legalize cryptos. Unfortunately, the cost of HQ creation and living there are too high.

what makes you say Sweden and Switzerland? any concrete examples of what they've done well for crypto? you say they're the most advanced countries that legalize cryptos, but legal as in just "being legal"? I think it looks like western Europe, well, west in general, has dropped the ball on crypto: like America's regulations, western Europe just not really doing anything with crypto, Eastern/to an extent southern Europe seems to be using this "opportunity" to get ahead in the space, a good decision! like this: https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/23/whats-behind-eastern-europes-crypto-boom/ (just from google)

5 EUR free crypto on signup! XCM exchange token ⚜⚜⚜  CoinMetro - Copy Trading - Margin - 0% maker fee  ⚜⚜⚜ - generate €500 volume in July for a chance to win €100!
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1567

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2018, 06:36:43 PM

Well, some exchanges did just that: China's Bitcoin Exchanges Are Shifting Business Models

But you'll never get the same volume/profit with P2P platform as with centralised exchange, and in many ways P2P is lacking.

China went back and forth with their stance on Bitcoin, but eventually let the trade happen with millions of its citizens got involved in crypto trading. So even if the authorities had another change-of-heart and wanted a complete ban, they had to do it progressively (first we ban exchanges, then p2p trade etc), otherwise it would be a robbery on the traders.

I expect China to either reinstate exchanges, upon introducing heavy regulations, or to quietly go towards absolute ban (less likely imo).

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
September 02, 2018, 07:09:17 PM

what makes you say Sweden and Switzerland? any concrete examples of what they've done well for crypto? you say they're the most advanced countries that legalize cryptos, but legal as in just "being legal"? I think it looks like western Europe, well, west in general, has dropped the ball on crypto: like America's regulations, western Europe just not really doing anything with crypto, Eastern/to an extent southern Europe seems to be using this "opportunity" to get ahead in the space, a good decision! like this: https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/23/whats-behind-eastern-europes-crypto-boom/ (just from google)

I believe Switzerland is currently experimenting with the Ethereum blockchain to use if for voting & possibly using it to make the use of taxpayer funds more transparent/( reduce corruption?). Let's see if i can find the article.

This might be it, https://cointelegraph.com/news/blockchain-evolutions-in-switzerland-voting-and-banking

Presently, blockchain is coming into play in this domain. In Crypto Valley, the city of Zug allowed residents to take part in a blockchain-based test vote, between June 25 and July 1, as this Swiss city evaluates whether the technology could be used on a broader scale. In addition to voting on minor municipal matters, citizens were also asked if a blockchain-based electronic ID system should be used for future votes. The test turned out to be a success.

Despite the fact that the vote in Zug was merely a test, with the results being non-binding for city authorities, this initiative demonstrates how blockchain’s security of transactions and traceability could provide benefits, not only to the finance sector but to many other domains, including the public sector.
I have yet to see something like this in any other country. Correct me if i'm wrong.

And ofcourse, Switzerland being Switzerland with extremely lucrative regulations for ICO's and investors of said.  
https://cointelegraph.com/news/why-switzerland-is-becoming-a-crypto-nation-with-a-flourishing-ico-market-expert-take

Charloz24

Activity: 966
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 02, 2018, 09:45:03 PM

I think that the world will be ready to accept cryptocurrency on the whole planet for near 10 years. Blockchain it is future
BQ

View Profile
September 02, 2018, 11:36:59 PM

I believe Switzerland is currently experimenting with the Ethereum blockchain to use if for voting & possibly using it to make the use of taxpayer funds more transparent/( reduce corruption?). Let's see if i can find the article.

This might be it, https://cointelegraph.com/news/blockchain-evolutions-in-switzerland-voting-and-banking

Presently, blockchain is coming into play in this domain. In Crypto Valley, the city of Zug allowed residents to take part in a blockchain-based test vote, between June 25 and July 1, as this Swiss city evaluates whether the technology could be used on a broader scale. In addition to voting on minor municipal matters, citizens were also asked if a blockchain-based electronic ID system should be used for future votes. The test turned out to be a success.

Despite the fact that the vote in Zug was merely a test, with the results being non-binding for city authorities, this initiative demonstrates how blockchain’s security of transactions and traceability could provide benefits, not only to the finance sector but to many other domains, including the public sector.
I have yet to see something like this in any other country. Correct me if i'm wrong.

And ofcourse, Switzerland being Switzerland with extremely lucrative regulations for ICO's and investors of said.  
https://cointelegraph.com/news/why-switzerland-is-becoming-a-crypto-nation-with-a-flourishing-ico-market-expert-take

Oh, I seem to have completely missed these! I've really not heard much at all about western Europe(in particular) + crypto, so it's great to see we've got some progress going there aswell. Thanks for sharing those links.

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 12:50:47 AM

You don't need to live there to take advantage  of that. Bitcoin is more secure because of those two countries because it can't be banned worldwide then. There will be always country where you can store value in BTC (switzerland).
So worry not, you not live there but you can benefit from that Smiley
Tudors

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 09:35:02 PM

I have said about Sweden and Switzerland based on the information provided in article above: https://bitfalls.com/2018/08/31/cryptocurrency-regulation-across-the-world/
Falconmytyh123

Activity: 68

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 01:43:40 AM

WOW. Good information. Some countries in around the world already legalized bitcoin. But there is a some country will not legalized bitcoin because for their security. To avoid money laundering, terrorist funding, and some thing harmful to their country. But i hope bitcoin can be accepted in all country for rise world economy.

http://SPORTSFIX.io
●   BE A GAME CHANGER   ●

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 02:13:55 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2018, 02:27:30 AM by jseverson

Indonesia

Cryptocurrency futures trading is now allowed. Laws are being reviewed to allow governance of wallets, exchanges and mining operations, while trading will be taxed.

To add to this, using crypto as money in Indonesia is illegal. Pretty much everything else is fair game.

Vietnam

Security-trading firms were asked in January to stop providing cryptocurrency related services, including issuance, transactions and brokering. Credit institutions and intermediary payment services were asked not to conduct transactions related to digital currencies and any payments made in cryptocurrencies in the country are considered illegal. It remains unclear whether cryptocurrencies are considered currency, commodities or payment instruments and therefore if trading services are considered payment services. This casts exchanges and traders in a grey area, because cryptocurrencies wouldn’t be banned from being traded if used as a type of intangible good or commodity.

I don't think it's completely illegal. It seems exchanges are kind of in a gray area at the moment (they're operating anywya), but trading is allowed much like China.

salvadordali

Activity: 22

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 03:57:51 PM

This Wikipedia article: Legality of bitcoin by country or territory, might be of interest to you.
JoraShmago

Activity: 51

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 04:13:10 PM

Bitcoin will soon become less valuable than it has been last 6 years
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: