Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:21:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How about a currency which is pool-proof?  (Read 2725 times)
Remember remember the 5th of November (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 05:47:30 PM

We've seen scrypt which is gpu-proof.

How about pool-proof chains? Sorry but...bitcoin is getting destroyed by pools, so is every other currency. I want a chain, on which i know i can mine myself and knowing no pool is going to take my blocks.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 05:48:48 PM

We've seen scrypt which is gpu-proof.

How about pool-proof chains? Sorry but...bitcoin is getting destroyed by pools, so is every other currency. I want a chain, on which i know i can mine myself and knowing no pool is going to take my blocks.

Doesn't p2pool solve this?

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
Remember remember the 5th of November (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 05:50:16 PM

p2pool is about Bitcoin..bitcoin cannot be fixed obviously.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 06:09:04 PM

How about pool-proof chains? Sorry but...bitcoin is getting destroyed by pools, so is every other currency.

How exactly is bitcoin being destroyed by pools?

I want a chain, on which i know i can mine myself and knowing no pool is going to take my blocks.

You do understand that pools don't change your share of hashing power.  If you have 0.01% of hashing power you will end up with 0.0% of block rewards.  Other people being in pools doesn't change that.

The only risk pools represent is 51% attack and that can be solved by technology like p2pool.
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 06:09:21 PM

Encoin, if programmed, does not need pools. Users are placed in small groups based on a random function. Individual mining isn't allowed because it is unnecessary extra bandwidth and it is harder to foster the competition that the proposal talks about.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 01:30:22 AM

How exactly is bitcoin being destroyed by pools?

Aren't the botnets pools? They haven't been a problem yet, but they can be.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2011, 06:16:10 AM

Just, wow!
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 08:36:41 AM

It's not obvious, nor does it appear to be true.

Pools are a misdesign in a peer to peer system but p2pool does fix the problem quite nicely. Sadly almost no-one is using p2pool.

sd

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 08:40:45 AM

The only risk pools represent is 51% attack and that can be solved by technology like p2pool.

There are other problems with pools. The pool operator could steal coins either by stealth or by stealing the whole lot in one go. Pools are a misdesign that invites DDOS attacks and a resulting rapid loss of hashing power throughout the whole network.

being

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 08:55:48 AM

I want a chain, on which i know i can mine myself and knowing no pool is going to take my blocks.
Whaat? o_O Does not compute.
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 09:12:00 AM

I dont see the problems with pools. The only issue is the big pools are too big.  I fully understand miners want to be in a pool so it doesnt take them 6 months to find a block, what I dont understand is why anyone would want to mine on deepbit.

As for DDoS; most "serious" miners will have failover and they could always revert to mining solo if all the pools where somehow DDoS'd.

So of all the problems facing bitcoin, pools seem to be the least of them. Just convince people to switch to a pool thats big enough to give them reasonably predictable income, but no bigger than that. Its even in their own interest usually, its not like deepbit is cheap.

steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 11:28:13 AM

I think satoshi never really thought or wanted pools.  He wanted the client to mine.  I think you should mine at 1,000 per block for 2 weeks, then end the mining or at 1 per block, with a 10% sales tax which is destroyed.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 12:32:33 PM
Last edit: October 27, 2011, 08:31:30 PM by DeathAndTaxes

I think satoshi never really thought or wanted pools.  He wanted the client to mine.  I think you should mine at 1,000 per block for 2 weeks, then end the mining or at 1 per block, with a 10% sales tax which is destroyed.

First of all mining/hashing can NEVER END or the block chain ends.  

If you mean end block rewards, you do realize there isn't sufficient transaction volume to support hashing network right now without block rewards. Current fees are ~1% of block rewards.  Thus if all block rewards ended tomorrow network hashing power would fall to 1% of current.  It is simply supply and demand.  The cost to produce a block would need to be 1% of current cost and that would require 1% the difficulty and thus 1% the hashing power.

That would put global hashing power for bitcoin at ~12GH/s.  A trivial task for someone to 51% and double spend.

Satoshi was very smart w/ concept of block rewards.  They distribute wealth and at the same time create a subsidy to keep network functioning and secure until such time that transaction volume can support the network without subsidies.

Bock rewards/subsidies are a solution to the dilema of:
a) how do you pay for a large/secure network if transaction volume if low?
b) if network is small/weak how will people trust it enough for transaction volume every grow?
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:40:34 PM

Pools are a misdesign in a peer to peer system but p2pool does fix the problem quite nicely. Sadly almost no-one is using p2pool.

My ultimate goal for Litecoin is to have p2pool integrated with the client. Each client would act as a node in the p2pool. If you have the internal miner running or if you point miners at your client, you will be mining in the distributed pool and will have litecoins trickling in every few minutes. Wouldn't this fit the definition of pool-proof?

sd

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 08:28:12 PM

My ultimate goal for Litecoin is to have p2pool integrated with the client. Each client would act as a node in the p2pool. If you have the internal miner running or if you point miners at your client, you will be mining in the distributed pool and will have litecoins trickling in every few minutes. Wouldn't this fit the definition of pool-proof?

It fits the definition of pool-proof very nicely and would be a great proof of concept. Hopefully p2pool is designed and implemented well enough to allow you to do that.
steelhouse

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 10:09:54 PM

I think satoshi never really thought or wanted pools.  He wanted the client to mine.  I think you should mine at 1,000 per block for 2 weeks, then end the mining or at 1 per block, with a 10% sales tax which is destroyed.

First of all mining/hashing can NEVER END or the block chain ends.  

If you mean end block rewards, you do realize there isn't sufficient transaction volume to support hashing network right now without block rewards. Current fees are ~1% of block rewards.  Thus if all block rewards ended tomorrow network hashing power would fall to 1% of current.  It is simply supply and demand.  The cost to produce a block would need to be 1% of current cost and that would require 1% the difficulty and thus 1% the hashing power.

That would put global hashing power for bitcoin at ~12GH/s.  A trivial task for someone to 51% and double spend.

Satoshi was very smart w/ concept of block rewards.  They distribute wealth and at the same time create a subsidy to keep network functioning and secure until such time that transaction volume can support the network without subsidies.

Bock rewards/subsidies are a solution to the dilema of:
a) how do you pay for a large/secure network if transaction volume if low?
b) if network is small/weak how will people trust it enough for transaction volume every grow?

Then I would have to say bitcoin is worthless to retain value and you my as well buy gold.  It you are forced to have an inflationary currency, why would anyone want to hold it?  Is not bittorrent protected?   I think coblee came up with the idea of only having 1 pool and everyone mines from the pool.  Thus, if the pool is not controlled by anyone, you won't need the 20%+ inflationary block rewards.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 10:12:17 PM

Block rewards pay for the cost of running the network.  Those servers, GPU, electricity aren't free.  That is true of any blockchain.

People being in pools or using a distributed pool or everyone solo mining doesn't change that.

Not sure why you think a distributed pool or solo-mining somehow changes the underlying mechanics of the blockchain.  Hint; it doesn't.
steelhouse

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 10:44:58 PM

Block rewards pay for the cost of running the network.  Those servers, GPU, electricity aren't free.  That is true of any blockchain.

People being in pools or using a distributed pool or everyone solo mining doesn't change that.

Not sure why you think a distributed pool or solo-mining somehow changes the underlying mechanics of the blockchain.  Hint; it doesn't.

If you need 10% inflation to protect the network, then bitcoin is worthless.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 10:46:47 PM

What 10% inflation?  I think you don't have any understanding how Bitcoin or any block chain works. 
steelhouse

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 10:52:23 PM

What 10% inflation?  I think you don't have any understanding how Bitcoin or any block chain works. 

The number mined a year / total number of coin in existence is the inflation rate.  I don't have an understanding of how a blockchain works.  But, if you need to mine at a 10% inflation rate to protect it, it is worthless.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: