Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:02:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Casascius phishers demanding a ransom  (Read 6427 times)
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 07:28:17 AM

Chrome knows it's a phishing site and conveniently redirects to https://www.casascius.com/

I like the idea of changing the name, regardless of the ransom. Wink

Also, basically, Casascius doesn't have to sell coins through its own website, and maybe shouldn't even do it (e.g. http://www.memorydealers.com/one-physical-bitcoin.html)
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
saadtariq30

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 08:12:52 AM

I'll be honest i just got interested in the physical bitcoins AFTER reading about this scam site(yeah i knew about them earlier but i was all meeh)..and now i actually want a few...btw casascius you got pm Smiley
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2011, 08:47:49 AM

I have contacted the internet.bs registrar (where the .net is registered), who said they will forward this information to their abuse department. It is possible that they will pull the domain ownership themselves instead of needing to get an ICANN dispute done, as the use of the domain has materially violated their own terms and agreements:

a. Revocation by us. We reserve the right to immediately suspend, cancel, transfer, modify, or terminate your Registration for any reason, including, without limitation, (i) your material breach of this Agreement; (ii) your use of any services, including, without limitation, the Domain registered to you, that is in contradiction of applicable laws or customarily acceptable usage policies of the Internet, including, without limitation, sending unsolicited commercial advertisements (including, without limitation, spamming) or sending threats, harassments, and obscenities; (iii) your use of your Domain in connection with unlawful or unethical activity; (iv) our receipt of an order from a court of competent jurisdiction or an arbitration award; or (iv) any other grounds for suspension, cancellation, transfer, modification, or termination that is determined by our sole discretion. You understand and agree that you will not receive any refund whatsoever for any such suspension, cancellation, transfer, modification, or termination of your Registration for any reason.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 11:02:27 AM

I have contacted the internet.bs registrar (where the .net is registered), who said they will forward this information to their abuse department. It is possible that they will pull the domain ownership themselves instead of needing to get an ICANN dispute done, as the use of the domain has materially violated their own terms and agreements:

a. Revocation by us. We reserve the right to immediately suspend, cancel, transfer, modify, or terminate your Registration for any reason, including, without limitation, (i) your material breach of this Agreement; (ii) your use of any services, including, without limitation, the Domain registered to you, that is in contradiction of applicable laws or customarily acceptable usage policies of the Internet, including, without limitation, sending unsolicited commercial advertisements (including, without limitation, spamming) or sending threats, harassments, and obscenities; (iii) your use of your Domain in connection with unlawful or unethical activity; (iv) our receipt of an order from a court of competent jurisdiction or an arbitration award; or (iv) any other grounds for suspension, cancellation, transfer, modification, or termination that is determined by our sole discretion. You understand and agree that you will not receive any refund whatsoever for any such suspension, cancellation, transfer, modification, or termination of your Registration for any reason.

Well how bout dem biscuits.  It will be nice to see if they follow through accordingly then.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 11:21:38 AM

Well how bout dem biscuits.  It will be nice to see if they follow through accordingly then.

They didn't care much when that NY lawyer sent them a C&D because of my domain calling him a scammer, but this case is on a different level, so maybe they'll act on it.

Digging on my mail found their response to him, in a message they sent as BCC to me
Dear Michael,

you should contact the Registrant, we are merely the Registrar. As a courtesy
we have forwarded your message to the account holder.

Regards,

Hope they take the domain down for you, Mike.
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 12:46:50 PM

How do we know the guy who wrote the note is the guy who owns the site?

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
sadpandatech

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 01:42:55 PM

Unless the goal is to actually track down 'the guy' then it really doesn't matter, does it?

My troll senses are tingling though and wonder if you are trying to suggest 'the guy' or the site, one or the other, or both could be 'shills' of the real Casascius?

Its probably just the coffee...... 

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:19:51 PM

Thank you for your inquiry concerning the content of a website. Although we appreciate your concern, ICANN does not have contractual authority to address complaints about website content.

ICANN is not a government agency. ICANN is a private sector, not-for-profit organization with limited technical responsibility for coordinating the unique assignment of Internet domain names and IP addresses.
Therefore, ICANN cannot address consumer complaints regarding the following
matters:

1. Spam complaints
2. Website content complaints
3. Failure to answer phones promptly
4. Failure to respond to e-mail messages promptly
5. Overbilling/Multiple billing
6. Computer viruses

These types of consumer complaints are not addressed in the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) and are therefore not a violation of the RAA.
Please see, http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/ra-agreement-21may09-en.htm.

If you believe the website content refers to anything illegal, your best course of action is to contact a law enforcement agency in your jurisdiction or to seek legal advice from an attorney.

If you are concerned about the content of an email message or a web page, you should contact the domain name holder or the applicable Internet Service Provider.

Best regards,

ICANN Services

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICANN

ICANN is responsible for managing the Internet Protocol address spaces (IPv4 and IPv6) and assignment of address blocks to regional Internet registries, for maintaining registries of Internet protocol identifiers, and for the management of the top-level domain name space (DNS root zone), which includes the operation of root nameservers.

Oh really?  ICANN says otherwise.
mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:24:28 PM

link to this please
sadpandatech

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:26:02 PM

Thank you for your inquiry concerning the content of a website. Although we appreciate your concern, ICANN does not have contractual authority to address complaints about website content.

ICANN is not a government agency. ICANN is a private sector, not-for-profit organization with limited technical responsibility for coordinating the unique assignment of Internet domain names and IP addresses.
Therefore, ICANN cannot address consumer complaints regarding the following
matters:

1. Spam complaints
2. Website content complaints
3. Failure to answer phones promptly
4. Failure to respond to e-mail messages promptly
5. Overbilling/Multiple billing
6. Computer viruses

These types of consumer complaints are not addressed in the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) and are therefore not a violation of the RAA.
Please see, http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/ra-agreement-21may09-en.htm.

If you believe the website content refers to anything illegal, your best course of action is to contact a law enforcement agency in your jurisdiction or to seek legal advice from an attorney.

If you are concerned about the content of an email message or a web page, you should contact the domain name holder or the applicable Internet Service Provider.

Best regards,

ICANN Services

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICANN

ICANN is responsible for managing the Internet Protocol address spaces (IPv4 and IPv6) and assignment of address blocks to regional Internet registries, for maintaining registries of Internet protocol identifiers, and for the management of the top-level domain name space (DNS root zone), which includes the operation of root nameservers.

Oh really?  ICANN says otherwise.

Thats Wiki...
They enforce the RAA. Not sure what the complaint was you sent them, but it must have been too soft.  Read the RAA.

- GA

TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:42:15 PM

Unless the goal is to actually track down 'the guy' then it really doesn't matter, does it?

My troll senses are tingling though and wonder if you are trying to suggest 'the guy' or the site, one or the other, or both could be 'shills' of the real Casascius?

not at all. I'm a Casascius fan. Just pointing out that anyone could have sent that e-mail.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
sadpandatech

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 07:03:52 PM

not at all. I'm a Casascius fan. Just pointing out that anyone could have sent that e-mail.

No worries, m8. Good to know my assumptions were wrong. Yea, that was one of the caveats pointed out to giving in to extortion, in that one would have no way to verify if the extortioner is who they claim to be.

- GA

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2011, 07:24:32 PM

The sender did put his bitcoin address in the DNS record of the casascius.net domain as evidence that he controlled the domain.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Explodicle

Activity: 950

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 10:57:15 PM

It's not THAT clever... Some day the market cap will be so high, and laundering so effortless, that scum like this will even use Bitcoin when kidnapping human beings. I'm sure I'm not the first one to realize this.

I realize Bitcoin has the potential to bring much more good to the world, but early on this was hard for me to accept.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 11:01:07 PM

It's not THAT clever... Some day the market cap will be so high, and laundering so effortless, that scum like this will even use Bitcoin when kidnapping human beings. I'm sure I'm not the first one to realize this.

I realize Bitcoin has the potential to bring much more good to the world, but early on this was hard for me to accept.

The anonymity aspect of bitcoin isn't so important. The best part of bitcoin is the fact that we can outsource the bankers and replace them with machines in foreign countries.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 02:23:55 AM

Although largely pointless, you could message webmail.co.za and inform them of the user account in breach of their terms of service - engaging in extortion would probably count in most jurisdictions as illegal.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2011, 06:31:00 PM

I speak Russian. I think the OP could've summarized his reply to the scammer in just three words

Ёб твoю мaть

and left it at that, instead of writing up such a big email. Doubt the Russian could understand half of it anyway.
sethsethseth

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 05:18:42 AM
Last edit: October 30, 2011, 05:43:18 AM by sethsethseth

You have definitely profited from this.  Just ordered up a 25btc I wouldn't have known about without this thread.  Change the name though, because I have no idea how to pronounce this.

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2011, 05:38:21 AM

Change the name though, because I have no idea how to pronounce this.

+1

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 06:45:08 AM

I thought I knew how to pronounce this - until I saw the video with Plato and Casascius at the gas station, where Plato pronounced it:
kasaysh-ee-us   - ie the first a is as in 'cat' and the second a is as in 'baby'

As casascius didn't comment when Plato pronounced it that way.. I guess that's the correct way Sad

I would have pronounced it 'kasask-ee-us'   - where both 'a's are pronounced as in 'cat'.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: