Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:04:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin safe to use?  (Read 2722 times)
Holm

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 06:20:26 PM

Bitcon is safe to use as long as:

1. You are taking regular backups.
2. You are taking adequate steps to prevent the hacking of your wallet.

or you have  trembling hands.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
creepywheepy

Activity: 87

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 06:33:38 PM

there is no currency, that is perfectly safe to use

Donations - d5737925-d46d-47ec-9941-94a12a68861b
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 06:36:43 PM

Keep your pc safe from viruses and keyloggers and don't keep your BTC on exchanges.
Holm

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 06:38:22 PM

Keep your pc safe from viruses and keyloggers and don't keep your BTC on exchanges.

wallet should be on separate hard drive with a clean operating system
klovishey

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

Selling Coupons Babie

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 06:48:31 PM

Bitcoin is as safe as you make it safe, that is the beauty of Bitcoin. With fiat you just hope justice will help you if you get hacked, with Bitcoin you might secure it very well

You need to use separate computer never connected with offline wallet. Hopefully hardware wallets will be available soon for no tech users
Holm

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 06:49:59 PM

Bitcoin is as safe as you make it safe, that is the beauty of Bitcoin. With fiat you just hope justice will help you if you get hacked, with Bitcoin you might secure it very well

You need to use separate computer never connected with offline wallet. Hopefully hardware wallets will be available soon for no tech users

or virtual machine
Polyrhythm

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 07:18:40 PM

I think that's the key. A lot of people I discuss bitcoin with want to get into it, but we are not those technologically savvy types...as it is, the learning curve is too steep for everyday people to adopt it as a currency. For my generation, it's possible with effort but for the older generation, I just don't see it happening with out hardware innovations like you mention.
kusrmdik

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 07:29:01 PM

safe if you use cold storage

but risky in terms of value
Gervais

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 07:29:55 PM

It's safe as long as you are.
Testing123

Activity: 561

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 07:45:39 PM

Very true.
People really need to understand this, and use an offline wallet to store 99% of their bitcoin.

divsigmni

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:05:48 PM

Very true.
People really need to understand this, and use an offline wallet to store 99% of their bitcoin.

what is offline wallet? how do I get one?
Gervais

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:15:31 PM

Very true.

Google it. IT's just keeping your wallet not on a pc.
Dogtanian

Activity: 756

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:16:42 PM

Very true.

An offline wallet is keeping your coins on either a paper wallet or in a wallet.dat backed up on something like a usb or CDR that's not online so it's safe.
dogechode

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:21:02 PM

I think bitcoin is about as safe to use as a condom. Somewhere around 90% safe when used properly and according to the instructions =P

If you follow the rules and don't do anything stupid the odds of you losing your coins is fairly low. But people do things like keeping coins on an exchange long term, not having a secure passphrase, keeping large quantities in low security storage, downloading questionable software and/or not using proper antivirus/malware software, using web wallets (seriously why the fuck do you people do that I can't fathom) etc etc and that greatly increases the risk.
Dogtanian

Activity: 756

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:24:38 PM

Huh Huh
I think bitcoin is about as safe to use as a condom. Somewhere around 90% safe when used properly and according to the instructions =P

If you follow the rules and don't do anything stupid the odds of you losing your coins is fairly low. But people do things like keeping coins on an exchange long term, not having a secure passphrase, keeping large quantities in low security storage, downloading questionable software and/or not using proper antivirus/malware software, using web wallets (seriously why the fuck do you people do that I can't fathom) etc etc and that greatly increases the risk.

lol nice analogy, but I though condoms were 98% asafe?
Gervais

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:26:59 PM

Very true.

An offline wallet is keeping your coins on either a paper wallet or in a wallet.dat backed up on something like a usb or CDR that's not online so it's safe.

Yeah this, but make sure you make several back ups and or write your private keys down too.
Simon8x

Activity: 568

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:50:09 PM

Very true.

The easiest way to generate a offline wallet is to use bitaddress.org offline.

Orthy

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 02:59:20 AM

Yes, it's definitely safe. Constantly read and learn from others how to keep it safe and secure.

You can find a lot of threads here in BTT from enabling 2 factor authentication to your online wallet to the most secured cold and paper wallets.

You may find that BTC can be safer and easier to use than using credit cards or fiat.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 10:33:25 AM

Remember that if you are using an offline wallet (paper-wallet or USB-stored wallet.dat file), there is no way to recover them in case the backup is lost or stolen. So it will be better to make 2 or 3 physical backups, and store them in safe and secure locations.
Zacon

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 08:27:47 AM

Bitcoin is safe, but Rising and falling the price cause Unreliable.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: