Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:51:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote BTC Mining  (Read 2577 times)
st4rdust (OP)

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 04:23:52 AM

I've been curious about this for some time - the ability to operate a mining rig that is not in your immediate vicinity. I've heard a lot about remote desktop software but I've never had the opportunity to try anything like this yet. I've tried the Windows 7 remote desktop feature, but couldn't figure out how to control another desktop from my main machine. I couldn't even be sure if this is the right type of software to utilize for the remote mining I have in mind. Anyway, here's my thought:

If I have a mining rig assembled and booted to whichever OS and connected to the internet using WiFi, for example, in the basement of my house, am I able to operate this machine remotely from, say, the second story of said house? If so, to what extent can I operate it? Aside from being able to run the relevant mining software, I'd also want to be able to reboot the system, write to its drives, etc.

I've got two monitors set up on my desk. Ideally, I'd like to configure the remote system to appear on my second monitor as if it were plugged into it physically.

Anybody familiar with this concept please fill me in on what you can, I would very much appreciate it.

If you should choose to pity me -14GLjCUE7ohxRLvwZD2sfjKjf22Lt3UHip

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 04:25:49 AM

Yes you can, I normally install VNC to access remotely and control the mining rigs.  If yours is a dynamic IP, you may want to get a dynamic DNS for easier maintenance.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 04:43:16 AM

logmein free works just fine as well you can manage everything through their website

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 02:16:57 PM

The best but not easiest option would be to have the rig running linux on USB drive to cut down on power consumption.  Using VNC you can remotely access that rig just like it was plugged into your monitor. 

I remotely manage 4 rigs in my garage that way, although they rarely need any managing anymore with use of startup scripts.
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 03:24:48 PM

There might be a bit of a learning curve if you are unfamiliar with linux, but Id recommend installing ubuntu (or running a live linux USB stick). If you install the full desktop, you can use VNC to remotely operate it, but you really dont need a graphical interface for mining. Instead, use SSH to log in to the remote machine. For windows you can use  putty as ssh client.

THen pick a miner like cgminer, and the result looks like this:

A nice window that shows everything you need to know, temperatures, fan settings, hash rate, stales, etc. You can also configure about anything you need there, like overclock, fan, pools, etc.

racerguy

Activity: 270

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 02:43:57 AM

you can use cgminer on windows too.
P4man

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 06:08:37 AM

Sure, and I often do on my PC. But why would you run windows on a dedicated mining rig?

racerguy

Activity: 270

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 10:18:57 AM

Sure, and I often do on my PC. But why would you run windows on a dedicated mining rig?

You wouldn't unless you weren't comfortable with linux, the op seems to have in mind some vnc type software which wouldn't occur to him if he was familiar with linux.
P4man

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 11:31:13 AM

Many miners here seem to get their first exposure to linux by setting up mining rigs. Its a great opportunity to try it out. Its not exactly hard to install ubuntu and even easier boot a live usb stick with something like linuxcoin:
http://www.linuxcoin.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

It has amd drivers, miners and everything preinstalled. Just plug the stick in and you are ready. At least I assume, I havent tried it yet.

worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 02:06:46 PM

I seems to be getting problems with guiminer in linuxcoin, have to use cgminer instead, other than that linuxcoin is extremely great for miners.

Many miners here seem to get their first exposure to linux by setting up mining rigs. Its a great opportunity to try it out. Its not exactly hard to install ubuntu and even easier boot a live usb stick with something like linuxcoin:
http://www.linuxcoin.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

It has amd drivers, miners and everything preinstalled. Just plug the stick in and you are ready. At least I assume, I havent tried it yet.
kirax

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2011, 03:33:28 AM

I switched from linuxcoin to bamt, but that was mostly because I wanted to setup multiple rigs quickly with very little config. My office with desktop is on the second floor, and my rigs are in the basement, so I mostly do exactly what you say, actually :p

VPS, shared, dedicated hosting at: electronstorm.ca. No bitcoin payment for that yet, but bitcoins possible for general IT, and mining/GPGPU rigs. PM for details.
st4rdust (OP)

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 07:16:20 AM
Last edit: October 29, 2011, 08:03:47 AM by st4rdust

I've got the computer set up with the appropriate software and I've been running it from my basement without any problems for a couple of days now. The GUI tends to sag a bit, especially at full screen mode on my second monitor, but that's okay since I only need to monitor the miners, temps, etc. The only missing feature I can think of would be the ability to run the program from my Android smartphone. It would be awesome to be able to access remote desktop from anywhere.

The ambient temperature is almost 10 degrees lower down there as well, which is definitely one of the advantages here. I've thought about moving the PC into my garage or patio enclosure to keep it at an even lower ambient temperature, especially with winter coming (located in Cleveland, OH whose climate borders on frozen tundra for most of the year). I worry about condensation though if its left in either of those rooms because neither of them have humidity control. Is this something to be concerned about or is it a non-issue?

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm glad I got this figured out because it's much quieter in here now.

If you should choose to pity me -14GLjCUE7ohxRLvwZD2sfjKjf22Lt3UHip
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 08:08:42 AM

Use Team viewer! I run my machines from my droid3 with it. Easy to use, and free.
The only thing I can't do from my phone is, cold boot!

P4man

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 08:15:09 AM

. I worry about condensation though if its left in either of those rooms because neither of them have humidity control. Is this something to be concerned about or is it a non-issue?

since your machine runs hot, condensation is not likely a problem (unless its humid enough in your basement for waterdrops to form say on the ceiling and drop down obviously).

kirax

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2011, 03:13:04 PM

I've got the computer set up with the appropriate software and I've been running it from my basement without any problems for a couple of days now. The GUI tends to sag a bit, especially at full screen mode on my second monitor, but that's okay since I only need to monitor the miners, temps, etc. The only missing feature I can think of would be the ability to run the program from my Android smartphone. It would be awesome to be able to access remote desktop from anywhere.

The ambient temperature is almost 10 degrees lower down there as well, which is definitely one of the advantages here. I've thought about moving the PC into my garage or patio enclosure to keep it at an even lower ambient temperature, especially with winter coming (located in Cleveland, OH whose climate borders on frozen tundra for most of the year). I worry about condensation though if its left in either of those rooms because neither of them have humidity control. Is this something to be concerned about or is it a non-issue?

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm glad I got this figured out because it's much quieter in here now.

Depending what remote desktop software you are using, most have some sort of android app available now. I haven't had to look that hard, I just use connectbot to SSH into my stuff at home.

VPS, shared, dedicated hosting at: electronstorm.ca. No bitcoin payment for that yet, but bitcoins possible for general IT, and mining/GPGPU rigs. PM for details.
m3sSh3aD

Activity: 322

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 05:11:54 PM

I use team viewer. Its free to use and can get it on android phone to, so no matter where i am in the WORLD, i can control my bitminers just as if i was there on the computer Wink

It really is a neat pice of software Wink Try it, its free Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: