Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:19:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Bitcoin Stolen Its Deposits  (Read 2656 times)
crypto2k (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 03:39:46 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2014, 03:50:55 PM by crypto2k

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-04/another-bitcoin-bank-loses-its-deposits

are they (developer) going to build a better secured script to exchange bitcoin/litecoin to prevent hackings like what just happened recently? How about verifying sellers/buyers mailing address or phone number or something. Its getting out of control - more BTC are stolen these days!
uranian

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 03:45:32 PM

Just as the price begins to recover, we get this. And a suicided? bitcoin CEO...
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:08:03 PM

Hacking to steal coins increasing as my model expects.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:18:03 PM

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-04/another-bitcoin-bank-loses-its-deposits

are they (developer) going to build a better secured script to exchange bitcoin/litecoin to prevent hackings like what just happened recently? How about verifying sellers/buyers mailing address or phone number or something. Its getting out of control - more BTC are stolen these days!

does the royal mint which prints money and bashes out coins add security 2 factor authentication to stock exchanges.

NO
its upto the exchanges to protect the customers funds.
its upto banks to have an insurance policy
its up to the owner of the corporations to follow the law and be honourable.

the issue is not the protocol of bitcoin
the issue is not the law
the issue is that too man people do not self regulate and manage their own funds, and trust entities they have not researched, have not met and do not know enough info about to slap them with a wet fish face to face if they do you wrong

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:20:17 PM

do you really believe it was hacked?  Huh
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:24:11 PM

It's crazy how this works. We finally have money that is free of the corruption of banks. But the first thing many people do with their coins is put them in a "bank". I use quotes because they are not banks are they?

Would you let a random person from another country borrow your car? Then why are you leaving your BTC with them?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:26:41 PM

The reason we have to wonder if it "really was hacked" ?

Because nobody goes to prison if they get caught stealing.

I dont want Bitcoin regulated, but there needs to be strict laws in place harshly punishing ANYONE who starts a bitcoin service and is suspected of theft.

It blows me away that CEO of Flexcoin just releases a nonchalant note to the public, then goes on with his day.

He should be in cuffs right now, pending investigation, like everyone else.

At the very least, harsh punishment for failing to secure his customers funds.  Its his problem.   His fault. 

You cant say "We offered cold storage for an extra fee.  If you didn't select it, oh well!"

This is why it keeps happening.  Nobody has been punished yet.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:30:12 PM

So if law enforcement isn't enforcing existing laws or investigating existing crimes why would you think that more regulation would change anything.

Summarized:
The cops are not enforcing the laws, so the solution is to pass more laws.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:36:39 PM

It's crazy how this works. We finally have money that is free of the corruption of banks. But the first thing many people do with their coins is put them in a "bank". I use quotes because they are not banks are they?

+1 gotta love some people

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
bitvestor

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:38:42 PM

Well, they just closed down with chunk of people's coins and then call it hack!!!
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:43:06 PM

MtGox claims to lose coins to "malleability"  ->  SilkRoad 2.0 (which was always planning on stealing user coins) has cover to make the same claim.

MtGox closes down due to coins theft  ->  Other shady exchanges (that were always planning on stealing user coins) now have the cover they need to "shut down" too.  

For the first time in history, we have a technology that allows its users to store, transport and exchange value with anyone else in the world, without the assistance of a third party or the permission of an authority.  All you need to do is secure your private keys.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
h3rlihy

Activity: 356

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:55:00 PM

WHY WHY WHY ARE PEOPLE STILL LEAVING THEIR COINS WITH THIRD PARTIES
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 04:56:04 PM

Would you let a random person from another country borrow your car? Then why are you leaving your BTC with them?
Once again, the problem are those people. Yet few see this.
This is not a problem in Bitcoin.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
doctorsnaggles

Activity: 258

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 05:00:08 PM

The reason we have to wonder if it "really was hacked" ?

Because nobody goes to prison if they get caught stealing.

I dont want Bitcoin regulated, but there needs to be strict laws in place harshly punishing ANYONE who starts a bitcoin service and is suspected of theft.

It blows me away that CEO of Flexcoin just releases a nonchalant note to the public, then goes on with his day.

He should be in cuffs right now, pending investigation, like everyone else.

At the very least, harsh punishment for failing to secure his customers funds.  Its his problem.   His fault. 

You cant say "We offered cold storage for an extra fee.  If you didn't select it, oh well!"

This is why it keeps happening.  Nobody has been punished yet.

-B-

Since it seems nobody ever got prosecuted for "hacking" or "stealing" Bitcoins, this could become a future business model for dodgy exchanges. Seems like law enforcement & governments arent too keen on tracking down the "hackers" since they oppose Bitcoin anyway ... making it easy for scammers.

Fuck the signature - if you are so desperate for money why dont you go and get a fucking job first - once you did that, perhaps you will think twice what kind of shit you want to be affiliated with.
crypto2k (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:01:07 PM

These threads are wordy and confusing.

My question is do you think it would be a good idea to have all buyers/sellers to verify their mailing address, phone #, or whatever to prevent from hacking or stealing LTC/BTC in the future?
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:57:12 PM

My question is do you think it would be a good idea to have all buyers/sellers to verify their mailing address, phone #, or whatever to prevent from hacking or stealing LTC/BTC in the future?

I don't want that. I want the decentralized, unregulated wild west.

But most people will prefer perceived security over liberty.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."-- Ben Franklin

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
DeeSome

Activity: 378

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 06:21:32 PM

WHY WHY WHY ARE PEOPLE STILL LEAVING THEIR COINS WITH THIRD PARTIES

Because they are either stupid or greedy.

The stupid who haven't seen what has gone on with the likes of Gox I have a little sympathy for because they don't have the brains to see cons in action.

The greedy who hold coins on an exchange for speculation in the hope of making a few bucks on the ups and downs of bitcoin I have absolutely no sympathy for.
cerberre

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 06:58:07 PM

Apparently it is the same guy who hacked Mt Gox. it leads to the same address :

1Ne5bGjDdgmbsGdNK9ocwrQiWf8K1FTuSa
cerberre

Activity: 76

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:01:10 PM

the guy is  currently spreading the coins from this address to multiple addresses as we speak
boomertoo

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:03:03 PM

I don't want that. I want the decentralized, unregulated wild west.

But most people will prefer perceived security over liberty.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."-- Ben Franklin

Well said I concur
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: