Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:25:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to:Running a hybrid full node = Broadcasting to clearnet and TOR hidden net  (Read 224 times)
TheBitcoinBadger (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 12:50:37 PM

Hey Folks,

at the moment i run a normal full node but i would like to run a

hybrid full node, so broadcasting to clearnet and tor net at the same time.

--------

i found the following link:

"By default, anyone with access to your network can see when data is uploaded, making it easy to tell when you’re making BTC payments. You can make this much harder to trace by routing Bitcoin Core network traffic through Tor using ‘Onion Routing’.

To get started, head over here. Click on ‘Windows’ to download the ‘Expert Bundle’.

Right click the file and ‘Extract all’. Open the new directory, then the one named ‘Tor’. Double click on Tor.exe. If Windows Defender shows an alert, click ‘More Info’ then ‘Run anyway’.

Return to Bitcoin Core. Click ‘Settings’ then ‘Options’. Choose the ‘Network’ tab and tick the checkbox marked ‘Use separate SOCKS5 Proxy to reach peers via Tor hidden services’. Click ‘OK’, then ‘File’ > ‘Exit’.

From now on Bitcoin Core will connect to peers via Tor. This makes it much harder to trace payments, but will also massively slow down the time it takes to sync with the network."

https://www.albawaba.com/business/take-full-control-your-bitcoin-1071188

-----------

So it works like that?

-Run TOR like described above
-Run Code
= Broadcasting clearnet and tornet at the same time?

Is anyone else doing that here Smiley ?

Thx
BB
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 06:15:41 PM

Right click the file and ‘Extract all’. Open the new directory, then the one named ‘Tor’. Double click on Tor.exe.

Sounds suspicious, there's no need to do that at all.

My advice: Do not do this. Follow the guide in the docs at the Bitcoin github.com page.

Vires in numeris
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2018, 01:32:09 AM

Right click the file and ‘Extract all’. Open the new directory, then the one named ‘Tor’. Double click on Tor.exe.

My advice: Do not do this. Follow the guide in the docs at the Bitcoin github.com page.
There's a link in the linked article that goes directly to the TOR Project's website. That's what it is telling people to download and extract. Furthermore, the link is to the download page, not a directly download link itself.

TheBitcoinBadger (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 12:03:29 PM

always good to be careful, thanks.

but it is the original tor website.

other than that: it works like that?
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2018, 12:17:24 PM

Did you check bitcoin's github ?
There is a doc which describes how to run core as a Tor hidden service: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/tor.md

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 04:32:12 PM

There's a link in the linked article that goes directly to the TOR Project's website. That's what it is telling people to download and extract. Furthermore, the link is to the download page, not a directly download link itself.

What malware might be running on the initially linked page? Linking to 3rd party guides always carries a risk, why do that when one can directly use the sources a 3rd party guide links to?

Vires in numeris
TheBitcoinBadger (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 05:36:04 PM

Did you check bitcoin's github ?
There is a doc which describes how to run core as a Tor hidden service: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/tor.md

i had the hope that i dont need to run a hidden service, just to run TOR and Bitcoin at the same time  Lips sealed
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2018, 07:50:55 AM
Merited by Jet Cash (2)

i had the hope that i dont need to run a hidden service, just to run TOR and Bitcoin at the same time  Lips sealed

If you want to make your node accessable through the tor network, you'll have to run a hidden service.
That's a requirement of the network topology of the Tor network.

Is there a specific reason you want to achieve this ? Is it only because of privacy reasons ?
With a fullnode on the clearnet, you are protecting your privacy way better than using any lightweight client.
A core node is relaying hundreds of transactions per minute. If you are going to broadcast a transaction, it is just one between thousands being relayed from your node to others.

An SPV client, on the other hand, does only send transactions sent by the user which makes it trivial to assign transactions to IP addresses.

So, as long you are not doing massive amounts of money through illegal activities, a simple full node should be enough to protect your privacy.

Feel free to reply with your conerns. I believe there is a way to protect your privacy without running a core node via Tor AND clearnet.

TheBitcoinBadger (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2018, 10:37:28 AM

thank for your reply.

i just want to max out the benefits for the bitcoin network.

so as i understand now, i have to run a hidden service to broadcast to TOR, no easier way to do that.
when i do that, i also broadcast to clearnet? i would like to run hybrid mode.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2018, 10:47:41 AM

so as i understand now, i have to run a hidden service to broadcast to TOR, no easier way to do that.

You can run a listening node on Tor, that will broadcast transactions to the Bitcoin network

when i do that, i also broadcast to clearnet? i would like to run hybrid mode.

Yes. It doesn't matter if you use a hidden service IP or not, transactions relayed by your node will reach the non-Tor Bitcoin network.

Vires in numeris
TheBitcoinBadger (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2018, 01:38:21 PM

ok thx.

can i see stats somewhere in bitcoin core? like how much i already uploaded already, uptime and stuff like that?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: