Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:10:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Goxcoin: New project to compensate victims of Gox [ latest update 11/03/2014]  (Read 4212 times)
cryptos-net (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:34:22 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2014, 09:41:45 AM by cryptos-net

Hi everybody,

We have worked hard in recent days and are happy to announce the following developments:

-The Goxcoin Community grows every day. Dozens of people from around the world join us every day to develop the project.

-Recent events gives us big hope to be get the Mtgox database, an essential element for the success of the project and the launch of Goxcoin.

-We are currently working on the implementation of Goxcoin and its various parameters.  You'' ll find more information soon on  http://www.cryptos.net

Don't hesitate to join us to make this project a great success via our website http://www.cryptos.net.

Sincerly,

The team of cryptos.net

------------------------------------

To the Bitcoin community:

We are a group of people who invested in Bitcoin and other crypto currencies. Some of us have lost all their coins in the collapse of the MtGox, the lucky others have not. But we all have one thing in common: our commitment and belief in this great adventure, which is the Bitcoin adventure.

We believe that an initiative should be undertaken to restore both crypto currencies’ reputation and customers’ confidence. This is why we have decided to launch a new project aiming to launch a new currency:  Goxcoin.

The purpose of Goxcoin is twofold:

On the one hand, the aim is to compensate all of the MtGox’s customers whose mistake was to leave their assets on the exchange. A part of this new money will be premined and distributed to MtGox users according to procedures to be laid down.

On the other hand, through this initiative we will demonstrate that the “Bitcoin community” truly exists. That facing large-scale problems our community knows how to react in an appropriate manner. This would be a great message to the rest of the world and would strengthen confidence in all crypto currencies.

This project is completely transparent and open to all. Whether you are a former MtGox user, developer or just a person interested by our initiative, we invite you to join us on our website: http://www.cryptos.net.

Sincerly,

The team of cryptos.net

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ilpirata79

Activity: 353
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:37:45 PM

How do you demonstrate that you had coins/fiat on gox?

best regards,
ilpirata79
Predatorian

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:41:56 PM

That's right, some proof would be nice to see.

roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 05:46:24 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2014, 09:03:52 PM by roslinpl

Anything more than just talking would be nice. But pehaps talking is easy part :-)
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:48:10 PM

Yes.  How will a person be tied to a Gox address?

My thought is the only way to do this accurately, would be if you had the public cooperation of Mark and the company itself.  (access to the customer database).

Which apparently got leaked anyway lol..  ugh.

Otherwise ....

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:52:10 PM

Sounds like a pump coin.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
cryptos-net (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:53:15 PM

Hi everybody,

As I said Goxcoin is currently only a draft. We are working on many questions. Access to the database of Gox is a major issue. We are currently working on different ways but everyone is welcome to participate. It is an open project.

If someone has the phone number of Mark, it would greatly facilitate our task Wink
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:05:33 PM

I like the thought behind this idea, a sort of charity, but I just don't see how it will work. It would be more straightforward (and possibly effective) to obtain records of affected individuals and crowd source donations.

Simply creating a coin does not create wealth/value. There needs to be compelling reason(s) for adoption, and though this case might be arguable, in the free marketplace of business acceptance I think it falls short.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:25:09 PM

The other problem is what happens the next time something like this happens? (knock on wood)

Do we simply keep creating CatastropheCoins? The unfortunate truth is people were too lazy in most cases to learn to secure their coins properly. There is so much talk about cold storage techniques, past hacks resulting in tons of lost coins, and people still had the bulk of their coins on MtGox? With all the problem threads about them? That's just something they will have to own up to, unfortunately.
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:37:44 PM

Nobody wants a fucking "Goxcoin."

I would buy some. It's backed by nostalgia and has a certain zombie-like morbid charm.  Also, the name is kind of humorous, which can go a long way as DOGE has shown us.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
V8x8d

Activity: 212
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:51:07 PM

I imagine a reasonable proportion of people lost money attempting to arbitrage between MTGox and other exchanges (this was constantly mentioned in Troll boxes, along with the risks). The reason why the average person left their coins in a failing exchange baffles me (the wallet was created for a reason). I would be happier to support victims of wallet theft or those who lost out on Poloniex.

We should support positive behaviour, not reckless. Should we also support the IPO investors for Stackcoin?

FYI, I do feel sorry for those that lost out that are new to Cryptocoins. Maybe the coin should be created for them and not the whales.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:00:26 PM

I had a GoxCoin idea the day of the press conference, and I quickly rejected the idea.
The GoxCoin Community:
Who wants to be surround by a group of angry, dejected people nervously clinging to the thin hope of getting their money back?
(sorry to those who lost....)

cryptos-net (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:03:32 PM

We have NOTHING to do with http://www.humint.is/goxcoin/ or Mandalah. We are a group of European people who have invested in the bitcoin (not especially in mtgox) and who believe in the future of Crypto. We have no connection with the team of Mtgox.

http://Http://www.humint.is/goxcoin/ apparently had a similar idea to ours and uses the same term "goxcoin". We don't know their intentions and have no relations with them.
Our project has nothing to do with them.
hijackWH

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:16:26 PM

People need to learn how to distinguish their money from their emotions.

If you lost significant savings on Gox, I feel sorry for you.  But don't chase the money with another shady experiment.  Don't trust anybody but yourself.  Nobody is going to get your money back for you, except maybe you, but only if you are able to keep cool and make wise decisions.

When you first gained interest in bitcoin, the very first time you read that transactions are final, your mind should have immediately started assessing how you would keep your coins safe.  You should have judged your own personal ability to secure your coins before investing a penny.  And you probably did.  But you ignored your own common sense and left your wealth on a server, where every hacker and his mother is targeting.

Don't let the emotion of losing your wealth make you trust some altruistic ghandi who only wants to give you back your losses.  Keep calm and invest wisely.  And for the love of god, learn from your mistakes!
ilpirata79

Activity: 353
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:26:04 PM

Would be interesting for the possible network effect if everyone who lost money on gox use it.
I personally would not mind getting those coins, if I don't have to do a lot.

Best regards,
ilpirata79
lino21

Activity: 26

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 11:12:53 PM

I think most  gox's users have left their bitcoins on the platform for two reasons:

-To buy and sell bitcoins quickly, without transferring bitcoins on their Mtgox account.

-They thought Mtgox as historical platform was the safest place to keep their bitcoin.

You can not blame them for that ...
V8x8d

Activity: 212
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:26:13 PM

I think most  gox's users have left their bitcoins on the platform for two reasons:

-To buy and sell bitcoins quickly, without transferring bitcoins on their Mtgox account.

-They thought Mtgox as historical platform was the safest place to keep their bitcoin.

Leaving large sums of BTC/Fiat on unregulated exchanges is reckless. There were enough posts on this forum warning about this exchange (there are no excuses). BTC was created to be decentralised (wallet).
cryptos-net (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:26:21 PM

Agree with you lino21.
Now this project has not only aim to compensate the victims of Mtgox. It will be a real currency that will follow the model of Aurroracoin: Only a percentage will pre-mined and redistributed to users Mtgox.
Zaghomat

Activity: 66

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:50:56 PM

I lost some btc on mtgox too. It seems like an interesting idea.
Zaghomat

Activity: 66

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:53:31 PM

Leaving large sums of BTC/Fiat on unregulated exchanges is reckless. There were enough posts on this forum warning about this exchange (there are no excuses). BTC was created to be decentralised (wallet).

Come on! for years mtgox was the least worst option. It might surprise you but a lot of people new to bitcoin don't know how to create a wallet an move the btc. It does not surprise me that mtgox had so many btc left on the exchange.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: