Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:15:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Innosilicon A9 or Antminer Z9?  (Read 180 times)
zeric (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 05:54:50 PM

Hi Guys!

I'm having trouble to decide which equihash asic to buy. Im looking to get 4 to start.

On paper inno A9 seems better in the long term due to lower power consumption. However, I head a lot of bad things about this company. Does anyone have experience with a A9?

Thanks!
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 06:05:27 PM

If you look enough, you'll hear bad things about both companies... Neither Bitmain or Innosilicon is going to win any customer service awards.   I've used both for years now, and in general I find their quality to be about the same, with maybe a slight edge to Innosilicon.  I have some A9's right now and have found them to perform to spec and be pretty reliable, but obviously some people on the forum have had different experiences - but the challenge is always that I'm not going to come on the forum and make a post like "All my A9's work fine!", because that's expected, you're only going to post when there's a problem.  I've had machines repaired by both companies - neither was good at the time, as it took a ton of time to do.

Personally I think the A9 is a better option than the Z9 - the efficiency difference means a longer effective life, and more better return.
zeric (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 10:22:14 PM

If you look enough, you'll hear bad things about both companies... Neither Bitmain or Innosilicon is going to win any customer service awards.   I've used both for years now, and in general I find their quality to be about the same, with maybe a slight edge to Innosilicon.  I have some A9's right now and have found them to perform to spec and be pretty reliable, but obviously some people on the forum have had different experiences - but the challenge is always that I'm not going to come on the forum and make a post like "All my A9's work fine!", because that's expected, you're only going to post when there's a problem.  I've had machines repaired by both companies - neither was good at the time, as it took a ton of time to do.

Personally I think the A9 is a better option than the Z9 - the efficiency difference means a longer effective life, and more better return.

Thank you for that answer! Exactly what I was looking for.

I've seen that the Z9 mini (especially batch 1) can overclock to great extent. I'm guessing same would go for the Z9. Have you tried to OC your A9? If so, how was the results?
zeric (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 10:25:24 PM

... and now I see the A9 is sold out. baah
Tailgunner

Activity: 81
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 04:59:57 PM

Never dealt with Innosilicon, but I've heard from multiple sources to avoid their power supplies like the plague. Many DOA or shortly after, and they're allegedly louder than the miner itself.
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
September 05, 2018, 03:23:16 AM

Never dealt with Innosilicon, but I've heard from multiple sources to avoid their power supplies like the plague. Many DOA or shortly after, and they're allegedly louder than the miner itself.

I've heard the same thing - figured I would run them myself and see if I ran into any issues, and so far haven't had a single one fail.  Might be that they aren't as voltage tolerant as some of the others, we run everything at 208v, so wouldn't be surprised at all if they die at 120v (if they even work at that).  I normally buy any of the quality breakouts and the DPS2000BB PSU's, and just have those on hand if they fail.  I've also heard that the Bitmain PSU's are pretty solid - but still not as good as the DPS's.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: