Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:20:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to download the block chain  (Read 3044 times)
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:18:53 PM

I started downloading the block chain from scratch a few hours ago using the satoshi client. So far I have received 10,519 blocks (yes, my internet connection is fine, and I have 8 connections). At this speed it is going to take forever.
Did you recently download the block chain from scratch, and how long time did it roughly take?

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:20:09 PM

No i downloaded an archive and waited only 2-3 minutes.

http://bitcoin.bluematt.me/bitcoin-nightly/blockchain-nightly/

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:23:53 PM

I am not going to download the block chain from some random url.

BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:26:47 PM

Reliable URL:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/

Be sure to read the warning though.

Akemashite Omedetou

Activity: 84
Merit: 13

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2011, 06:31:12 PM

Your bitcoin client will check all the blocks and if they are nonvalid, it won't accept them. There is no good way to fake the block chain, the whole "hardcode-first-block-hash-and-then-include-hash-of-previous-block-in-each-next-block" thing is what makes bitcoin so secure. So unless there is some 0-day bug in the bitcoin client I wouldn't worry too much about downloading block chain from unknown source.

Bitcoin Fog: Secure Bitcoin Anonymization

---
Creedy: Die! Die! Why won't you die?... Why won't you die?
V: Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:32:38 PM

Reliable URL:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/

Be sure to read the warning though.
If this is the solution then we need to bake this into the client, and use proper signatures and such. However, last time I did download the block chain using the client which is probably just a few months ago, it went much faster. Is this the result of a higher percentage of clients not accepting connections?

BTCurious

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:36:14 PM

Your bitcoin client will check all the blocks and if they are nonvalid, it won't accept them. There is no good way to fake the block chain, the whole "hardcode-first-block-hash-and-then-include-hash-of-previous-block-in-each-next-block" thing is what makes bitcoin so secure. So unless there is some 0-day bug in the bitcoin client I wouldn't worry too much about downloading block chain from unknown source.
That sounds like it makes sense. I can understand the position of being careful when one doesn't understand the entire technology/security involved though, and downloading from a more well-known url won't hurt.

If this is the solution then we need to bake this into the client, and use proper signatures and such. However, last time I did download the block chain using the client which is probably just a few months ago, it went much faster. Is this the result of a higher percentage of clients not accepting connections?
Hardcoding a download from a central source goes against the concept of bitcoin, and creates a weak point in the system. Downloading from peers is the only real thing to bake into the client.
Speed depends on connection speed, and number of connected peers and such. For me it took a few hours when I re-did it yesterday, IIRC.

Speed increasing is actually being worked on; the idea is to only download the block headers at first, making the client usable much faster. I believe the rest of the chain is then downloaded in the background, but don't hold me to that.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:45:33 PM

Erhm... When you download the database as a bunch of files and start the client it is NOT validating it. This would mean that the client would have to validate all transactions whenever it is started.

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2011, 06:57:26 PM

Downloading from the p2p network shouldn't be that slow compared with downloading from a website...verification will take time, but that should be done regardless of how the chain is first downloaded.  Maybe the client should try to connect to more peers when it's catching up, dropping slow peers and trying to latch on to faster ones.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 07:23:35 PM

Download speed of the blockchain is ridicolous and make no sense.

It's a P2P network where there is a 900MB file and pretty much everyone is a seeder. On bittorrent that mean FULL STEAM AHEAD! DOWNLOAD AT FULL SPEED!
It should take like 5 or 10 minutes.

Instead here it take 12+hours.......

BTCurious

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 07:25:14 PM

It's a P2P network where there is a 900MB file and pretty much everyone is a seeder. On bittorrent that mean FULL STEAM AHEAD! DOWNLOAD AT FULL SPEED!

I think the client limits its connections to a few tens of peers. Given that these are random peers, their upload speeds are going to be horrible. (This is speculation though, I may be wrong about how this works.)

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 07:27:56 PM

Maybe you are right

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 08:44:52 PM

Erhm... When you download the database as a bunch of files and start the client it is NOT validating it. This would mean that the client would have to validate all transactions whenever it is started.

Well it depends.  The db contains a record of last block verified.  The person uploading the db could modify it so that is block 0 and the client would rescan entire block chain.  Alternatively use the -rescan command line option to force a complete verification of downloaded block chain.  Hopefully in future client will have a "verify blockchain" option/menu/button.

I do agree this could be improved. 
Why not include 70% of the blockchain with the binary?
Why not give client an option to download entire block chain up to a week prior from a repository and then auto-rescan?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2011, 08:47:11 PM

I think the client limits its connections to a few tens of peers. Given that these are random peers, their upload speeds are going to be horrible. (This is speculation though, I may be wrong about how this works.)

This seems right, but also there is a huge difference on a netbook compared to a desktop. I think this is because it validates as blocks come in and machine speed matters.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 09:16:11 PM

if you only get 8 connections you need to open some ports

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 01:47:35 AM

(yes, my internet connection is fine, and I have 8 connections).
No, Your connection is not fine. Open the necessary ports in router or enable UPnP. You will most likely get more speed. Also the power of computer and random acess times of harddrive is also important. I taken hour and a half to download blockchain on Core2Duo running on WD Raptor, but the same blocks taked whole day to download on aging Pentium4 running with old Maxtor drive.

In future there might be good idea to release the Bitcoin software with two installers - the standart and the Mega installer, that installs the blockchain files in Bitcoin directory.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 02:00:45 AM

DO NOT USE UPnP!!!!!!

in some routers, they can be completely reconfigured by sending only 1 packet. this can be solved by simply turning off UPnP. id also advise turning off all other remote and automatic configuration systems, they are only security holes.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 02:03:54 AM

DO NOT USE UPnP!!!!!!

in some routers, they can be completely reconfigured by sending only 1 packet. this can be solved by simply turning off UPnP. id also advise turning off all other remote and automatic configuration systems, they are only security holes.

Um UPnP can only be enabled by an application on the LAN side.  If you have malicous software on the inside of your firewall/router then you have larger problems then UPnP.

Also is the number of packets suppose to be scary?  If it took 500 packets to enable UPnP would that somehow be safer than a single packet?
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2011, 02:11:06 AM

Yesterday I downloaded blockchain on 10Gbit line, few Xeon CPUs and SSD raid. It took only one hour to complete :-).

I followed iostat, iftop and htop and it definitely looks that the biggest issue is waiting on data from network. Sometimes it processed 500 blocks per second, but then suddently dropped connection to peer and it took long time (minutes?) to recover and continue downloading.

ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 02:11:33 AM

DO NOT USE UPnP!!!!!!

Um UPnP can only be enabled by an application on the LAN side.  If you have malicous software on the inside of your firewall/router then you have larger problems then UPnP.

Also is the number of packets suppose to be scary?  If it took 500 packets to enable UPnP would that somehow be safer than a single packet?

if you need UPnP then you probably have no idea what lan and wan is, and probably no idea what UPnP even is. if you know all of them terms then you should have no trouble at all forwarding the ports manually, it literally takes 2 minutes if you are familiar with your routers UI. also, it would not really matter the amount of packets required, the exploit still exists and is just as dangerous.

also, not all routers allow the user to just disable UPnP on wan or lan individually.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: