Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:43:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FlexCoin used 2 FA and still got hacked!!!!! I'm out of this game  (Read 2211 times)
badboyrazor (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:25:25 AM

FlexCoin was using 2 Factor authentication and it still got hacked!!!! Doesn't that scare you?

Everyone here seems to think that with 2 FA, you are covered. But your not!!!!

I lost only 3.11 bitcoins so far from cryptsy but I was a fool to think that 2 FA could have protected me if I had it turned on.

The public is turning their heads away from Bitcoin if this keeps happening. See my article here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=469752.new#new

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:34:10 AM

FlexCoin was using 2 Factor authentication and it still got hacked!!!! Doesn't that scare you?

No.  If you have been paying much attention, you would know that 2 FA has never been fool proof.  People have still had coins taken.
2 factor authentication only stops people from logging in as you.  It doesn't mean the back end is secure (im not a developer or security guy so I may have worded that wrong).
Once again, this isn't new news.  2 FA is something everyone should have enabled as a basic precaution.
But nobody has ever claimed it was perfect.

The message is don't leave your coins online.  Period.  Until Bitcoins security infrastructure and best practices have been improved enough to provide reliable security.
You are the one who controls your coins.   Stay in control of your private key.  Period.

You haven't discovered anything new.  Sorry.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:42:59 AM

Then get out of this game until security is better. We are in the early stages of this new technology. Anybody involved now is an early adopter, meaning you can expect bumpy technology, inconveniences, and risk.

If you're not learning to secure your own coins properly then you risk losing them to somebody else's procedures.

Better security and more competent companies will rise in Bitcoin, but that takes time. A more normalized regulatory environment will free up entrepreneurs and venture capital for stronger businesses. That seems to be progressing too, but again all this takes time.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:53:03 AM

2 factor authentication only stops people from logging in as you.  It doesn't mean the back end is secure (im not a developer or security guy so I may have worded that wrong).

Without getting into semantics about 'back end' definitions, you're exactly right.

badboyrazor (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 12:35:42 PM

But that is the biggest issue. How do you defend the back end?

I use to have a website and in my control panel, if I wanted to log into the back end, they would ask for a user name and password. And that is all.

And my understanding is that a password is not needed to gain access. Technology is fucked and that's why bitcoin prices are going to be held down because of that fear.

Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 12:41:53 PM

You do not own any bitcoins if you do not own teh private keys to them.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 12:46:05 PM

Nuff said Wink

CoinRocka

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 01:07:32 PM

Newbie here.  So if I have a blockchain wallet and have the backup paper wallet, do I go ahead and delete my blockchain account until my next transaction...for now?
BitApparel

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 01:13:18 PM

why would it matter if u had 2 FA or not?

$@$@$@$$@$------------------->>>          trade BTC/LTC leveraged @ bitfinex.com    AND

get 5% lifetime rebate!   use sign-up code   ------->       X1LTTXAjLV       PM after sign up !!!
data_teks

Activity: 267
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 01:13:27 PM

Newbie here.  So if I have a blockchain wallet and have the backup paper wallet, do I go ahead and delete my blockchain account until my next transaction...for now?

No.  What you do is download a program like armory that lets you create paper wallets (make sure your computer is clean or one that isn't connected to the web) and then you create a whole new wallet and transfer your coins to that; then never use that blockchain/paper backup wallet again.
SirWilliam

Activity: 248

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 01:33:23 PM

HAha nice try, troll! 2 FA has NOTHING to do with a site getting hacked (with or without the complicity of the owners). 2 FA is for YOUR login, absolutely no connection to backend security, and I am sure you know this and are FUDing up the place  Grin
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 01:39:27 PM

You might want to have a look at www.pi-wallet.com
It uses Armory as well Smiley
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 01:49:30 PM

This.  It can't be said enough - if you don't own the keys, you don't own the coins.  You just have an IOU from someone.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 01:52:45 PM

Again, your fault. You kept the coins on an exchange.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
CoinRocka

Activity: 249

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 01:53:51 PM

No.  What you do is download a program like armory that lets you create paper wallets (make sure your computer is clean or one that isn't connected to the web) and then you create a whole new wallet and transfer your coins to that; then never use that blockchain/paper backup wallet again.

But don't you have to import that cold wallet at some point to an internet connected computer to use the currency?
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 01:57:01 PM

Then get out of this game until security is better. We are in the early stages of this new technology. Anybody involved now is an early adopter, meaning you can expect bumpy technology, inconveniences, and risk.

If you're not learning to secure your own coins properly then you risk losing them to somebody else's procedures.

Better security and more competent companies will rise in Bitcoin, but that takes time. A more normalized regulatory environment will free up entrepreneurs and venture capital for stronger businesses. That seems to be progressing too, but again all this takes time.

thats it.

Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 01:58:19 PM

No.  What you do is download a program like armory that lets you create paper wallets (make sure your computer is clean or one that isn't connected to the web) and then you create a whole new wallet and transfer your coins to that; then never use that blockchain/paper backup wallet again.

But don't you have to import that cold wallet at some point to an internet connected computer to use the currency?

Not necessarily. If you keep your cold wallet on a computer that has never been online (with Armory for example) rather than on a paper wallet, you can create a transaction on your online computer, copy it to your cold wallet machine (using a USB stick or via QR codes and a webcam if you're really paranoid), have the cold wallet machine sign the transaction and then copy it back to your online machine to be broadcast.
Magic8Ball
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:05:35 PM

Install bitcoin-qt on a computer clean installed and never connected to the net

Start and get a wallet.

copy the address and private key (if you want)

Put the wallet in a pen drive (again, clean formatted). Write down the private key (if you want).

Send Bitcoins to that address. Confirm on blockchain.

Any time you want to send Bitcoins, plug the pen drive in a computer running bitcoin (and connected) and copy the wallet in there or import the private key. This wallet is now compromised so any change you again send to a new offline wallet.

Or just use Armory like pointed above.
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:09:27 PM

This morning I checked my paper wallets against the blockchain...and found none of them were stolen. GO PAPER!

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:38:38 PM

Bye! Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: