Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:55:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: made a purchase from overstock instead of amazon  (Read 2389 times)
kthejung (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:53:50 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2014, 03:54:09 AM by kthejung

My roommate wanted proof that things could be bought with bitcoins so I purchased a ps3 game(Dark Souls 2) from Overstock.com instead of my usual online store, Amazon.  I never knew Overstock had so many up-to-date items; used to think they only sold older items for some reason.

update edit:  Overstock did not have enough copies of Dark Souls 2 to fulfill my order so my btc's were refunded back into my Coinbase account.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:55:20 AM

I've been buying from them lately, and I have to say their customer service is top notch.  I've called a couple times and gotten a competent human within 20 seconds each time.
googlemaster1

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 06:27:12 AM

Yeah I am actually surprised at how well Overstock operates.  I've never had an issue paying with Bitcoin and getting my stuff only a couple days later.  I love everything about them.  I'd say my only complaint is now I have another thing chiming my inbox with "10% coupon 1 day only" sales, like, everyday.

Aside from that I will buy from there whenever convenient and whenever the price is right.  I much rather pay for things in bitcoin than any other way.  Just wish more people in this community felt the same way.

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 06:46:46 AM

Overstock is still not accepting BTC from international customers.
daviducsb

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:08:10 AM

Overstock is great and at times even cheaper than Amazon!

CryptoPanda

Activity: 882
Merit: 302

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:34:57 AM

lol, that's quite against the idea of bitcoin
TrillionBTC

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:02:23 AM

WOW,

I'm actually sorry to hear this. The only thing I could think of is this is not an Overstock.com issue and more of a BTC Merchant Service Issue. I never looked into this or considered it. Keep in mind that although Overstock.com accepts BTC they're getting their fiat currency deposited into their bank account from their BTC merchant service which I think they are using CoinBase.com to process BTC which would be USD. Overstock.com not accepting BTC for international purchases is not the fault of Overstock.com if they can not find a Merchant Service that converts BTC to your country's currency.

Hopefully Overstock.com is actively looking for a Merchant Service that could provide the currency conversion in your area or better yet both bitpay.com and coinbase.com step up and go international.

seattletu

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:06:44 AM

it's most likely a shipping issue. shipping is really expensive overseas, and if there are problems with the order that it needs to be returned, then it becomes a huge headache.

just speaking based on my own personal experience, in which i ship overseas from the u.s.

and by the way, i just today switched my website to accept bitcoin, AND disabled the ability to use a credit card. fuck em!
lordbah

Activity: 16
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 12:59:48 PM

I'd say my only complaint is now I have another thing chiming my inbox with "10% coupon 1 day only" sales, like, everyday.

Every day, sometimes multiple per day. Finally had to opt out since they were never for anything I wanted. So far they have honored the opt out.

lordbah

Merit: 1

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 01:25:37 PM

Overstock.com not accepting BTC for international purchases is not the fault of Overstock.com if they can not find a Merchant Service that converts BTC to your country's currency.

It kind of is - they could choose to keep BTC instead of converting it.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:55:39 PM

WOW,

I'm actually sorry to hear this. The only thing I could think of is this is not an Overstock.com issue and more of a BTC Merchant Service Issue. I never looked into this or considered it. Keep in mind that although Overstock.com accepts BTC they're getting their fiat currency deposited into their bank account from their BTC merchant service which I think they are using CoinBase.com to process BTC which would be USD. Overstock.com not accepting BTC for international purchases is not the fault of Overstock.com if they can not find a Merchant Service that converts BTC to your country's currency.

Hopefully Overstock.com is actively looking for a Merchant Service that could provide the currency conversion in your area or better yet both bitpay.com and coinbase.com step up and go international.

Yes, rumors has it that they will be using the new Gox that supports many currencies Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Regardless to say, probably no payment back to the merchant....

LOL
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Emill

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:58:09 PM

Overstock.com not accepting BTC for international purchases is not the fault of Overstock.com if they can not find a Merchant Service that converts BTC to your country's currency.

[/quohete]Yes they could keep it but the price goes up and down. It would be like gambling with a whole heap of BTC !!!!!!!!!!!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:02:53 PM

My favorite thing about shopping there is the security. As a test, I gave my account information to a friend and offered him 1BTC to try stealing from me. He could find my shipping address and see what I had bought but there was nothing he could steal. No credit card is associated with the account. If there was a card, he would have it. Go Bitcoin!

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Bitcroin

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:14:45 PM

Why would they need to convert to local currencies of international customers?
got2bereal

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:22:01 PM

I hate shipping overseas because all EU countries have import documentation requirements and expensive import taxes.  If I sold something for $100USD, electronic goods gets taxed the most and shipping is expensive.  That $100 item becomes a $175 item after shipping and fees and the customer usually wants the cheapest and most unreliable shipping method.  If it gets lost because a lot of thieves work in the postal services in both the US and abroad a good % of goods are lost due to theft or damage.

International customers if you want your goods safe you need to opt for private delivery service rather than government sponsored ones.
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:47:25 PM

I definitely favour bitcoin accepting merchants. I'm even willing to pay a touch more (for the cause and all that), even though one of the benefits of bitcoin could/should be slightly reduced prices (the merchant's cost savings passed on to customers).

Case in point, only last week I opted for scan.co.uk rather than ebuyer or Amazon.

In fact, I went one step further: I paid in bitcoins and then immediately bought more bitcoins to maintain my bitcoin balance. Smiley
Coins4life

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:54:27 PM

Yup Overstock is awesome!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:36:43 AM

Definitely not a wise thing to do. In addition to the legal formalities and complexities, the volatility is a major factor.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:39:38 AM

Glad to here they are doing so well.
The CEO said a few weeks ago that they are holding many $millions in BTC.

Ix

Activity: 218
Merit: 128

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:44:27 AM

Why would they need to convert to local currencies of international customers?

If that is the reason, maybe for tax purposes? It could get potentially very complicated and costly.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: