Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:57:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Miner Saying Hello  (Read 134 times)
USSCSmith (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 01:06:08 AM

Hey Bitcoin Forum,

Since reading the Unofficial rules, I thought I better start working toward some activity and merits if I'm going to learn and get involved.

I used to be very tech, computer, and networking savvy. Considering I struggle to remember what I did last weekend; it's even harder for me to pull out skills and knowledge that I haven't used in a decade.

I made some significant profits buy/selling BTC/LTC/ETH on Coinbase last year put of luck and speculation. I have a slight understanding of block-chain technology but pretty basic at best.

Anyway; lets get to why I am here.

Well I'm in real estate and a client of mine that I've gotten to know so well took me sailing. He was an engineer in his prime so we start chatting about things and I shared with him some of my thoughts on how to improve the basic functions of current turbines and generators and dramatically improve performance for future designs. Over the last couple months we've continued to discuss it and I decided I'm going to make a few miniature prototypes...

Since I do not have a doctorate in physics, mechanical engineering, or well anything; I do a fair share of Googling and as you all know it is very hard to google anything about power and energy consumption these days without crypto mining popping up which started to intrigue me as well. While I'm still working on my prototypes, I thought I'd pulls out some old laptops and desktop just to see what mining was all about.. I'm not worried about making enough to cover the electrical consumption / with what I'm running we're not talking much as all but now that I've gotten a few basics in; i'd really like to at least  make it a bit more efficient - so as they are mining I can start tying in my turbines to reduce the electric footprint.

Well I know nothing about mining and even less about scripts/codes/compilers/etc.  Huh

Here is my scenario which I'll post in the proper forums.

Old Computers:
1) Laptop i5-7300 2.6Ghz 8GB RAM
    GPU: Integrated Intel Kaby Lake GT2
      Windows 7 x64
2)Laptop i5-2430M 2.4 GHz 6GB RAM
    GPU: Integrated Intel Sandy Bridge GT2
   Windows 7 x64
3) Laptop Intel Pentium N3710 1.6GHz w/ 4GB RAM
    GPU: Integrated Intel Braswell with OpenCL (Says GPU Overclock -5% - NO IDEA)
      Windows 7 x64

All 3 are mining using Awesome Miner at the moment and with profit switching profiles and I've really been trying to play with JCE Miner but I'm having trouble getting it set up.

4) Laptop Intel Core Duo 1.93Mhz w/ 8GB RAM
    GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon X1450
   *Installing Ubuntu as I type* **Which I have never used before**  
5) Desktop that I literally just pulled out of the spare room so I don't have specs on it yet. It's been several years so I want to clean it up before I power it on.
   -Unknown Processor
   -GPU Asus AMD Unknown
   - Motherboard Asus "unkown" w/ 3x *GB DDR3 ; 6x PCI Slots
   -500W Power Supply
   ** I would Like to load linux/Ubuntu on here as well**

Didn't expect to get so long winded but if you stuck with me so far; I'd appreciate and tips or forums I should check out.

GOALS
1) Basic Scripting to edit and tune JCE Miner
1a) I'd like to script in to enable the large page size instead of manually setting it up every time I reboot
 As of right not I run CMD as Admin and run "ntrights -u "USERNAME" +r SeLockMemoryPrivilege"
 I have not been successful trying a combination of the command with --elevate

1b) From what I can tell, 2 core/4 threads, JCE always threads itself Thread 1- CPU 0 / Thread 2 -CPU 2. If i set Affinity up, would I be able to run a second JCE Miner Thread 1 - CPU 1 / Thread 2 - CPU 3
1c) How to implement Multi-Hash

2) Install and Setup of Ubuntu or some type of Linux for mining
2a) Suggestions for Linux Miners, tips, etc.

3) And this one will make  you bang your head or laugh... If I have two integrated Intel GPUs that have Open CL - I understand the performance would be dismal - But I would LOVE to figure out how to mine with an integrated GPU

Thanks for reading my novel, hope to start learning off of you all quickly and I'll pre-apologize for future moronic questions I may have.

Be Awesome,
USSCSmith

The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xiaolongnu

Activity: 375
Merit: 3

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 06:14:33 AM

Hi USSCSmith, maybe you will interest,  Mining (Altcoins), Mining - Bitcoin
Pages: [1]
  Print