Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:06:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dear Seti@Home, Please accept our Bitcoin donations  (Read 2020 times)
sadpandatech (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 06:58:54 PM
Last edit: December 15, 2011, 05:57:56 AM by sadpandatech

Sorry to spam the donation threads but while going through some emails I came across another great opportunity to elicit acceptance of Bitcoins.  Anyone familiar with the Seti@Home project knows that it is a distributed computing project aimed at finding 'intelligent' communications within radio waves observed in space.  I sent them a request to accept bitcoins to donors@ssl.berkeley.edu I'd like to encourage anyone else interested in this project or just into aiding the spread of awareness about Bitcoins to do the same.

Their email about the current donation campaign with some updates on the project can be found here; http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/donor_letter.php
  I found this part here to be of interest; "We're also in the process of adding a new search algorithm to the SETI@home application. This new algorithm, called autocorrelation, will make us sensitive to certain broad band or spread spectrum transmissions without predicting their characteristics beforehand. No SETI sky survey has utilized this type of algorithm before."
  They have also been able to utilize additional radio telescopes to explore areas of the sky that are not visible from the Arecibo telescope. " But in the coming year, we plan to start continuous collection of data at the Green Bank Telescope, allowing us to listen in on parts of the sky that, up until now, we have not been able to reach." Awesome stuff!

A direct link to their donation page can be found here;  http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/sah_donate.php

And of course their main website here;  http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely,
    Derek

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 07:44:42 PM

I quote that.

I tought about that sometime but then i also tought, what if they decide that mining coins is better than distributed computing?

PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 12:15:00 AM

I sent them (seti) an email back in July when they were doing a fund raiser - never heard anything back.

Thinking about it again, of the 70 to 100 projects out there, some are always after donations.  There is a guy Tobias who runs "FreeHal at Home" who always seems to want someone to cover his bandwidth costs - you could try him.
Alphonso Bedoya

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 11:40:46 AM

Good idea. I sent them an email query. Great way to spread the word, and the coins.
sadpandatech (OP)

Activity: 504

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 01:39:43 AM

hmm, not sure how I overlooked this before. But this GPU Users Group handles taking in the paypal donations for Seti. They may be the more appropriate contact point to try and get them to accept Bitcoin donations.
http://www.gpuug.org/donatetoseti

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2011, 02:04:28 AM

I think I see where this is heading:

Bitcoin now accepted at Quark's Bar, Grill, Gaming House and Holosuite Arcade: Come to Quark's! Quark's is fun! Come right now! Don't walk! RUN!

I like this SETI idea!
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2011, 07:37:35 PM

SETI!!  They were, in my eyes, the first popular distributed computing network and should never be forgotten!

I BELIEVE!!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 04:14:21 PM

I just sent them a request to post a bitcoin address.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Bitcoin 100

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:08:15 PM

I just sent them a request to post a bitcoin address.

Take a look at this page: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/sah_donate.php

If they happen to start accepting Bitcoin as a donation option, the line allocated for that information would possibly be smaller than the one currently in use for PayPal.

I'm surprised there's not even a PayPal button on that page.

I like SETI. I remember running their program on my computer many years ago, utilizing the CPU in the background that I wasn't using.

~Bruno~
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:13:02 PM

Well you can still crunch today, and there are a lot of other projects, other than SETI

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2011, 05:48:52 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2011, 06:09:44 PM by mc_lovin

I have an idea.  I set up a separate wallet on one of my mining computers for people to donate money to SETI.  I am reputable, I have the http://www.bitcointrading.com/ community's reputation at stake and I will post this address there as well.  I will give 100% of the donations to SETI once someone can get them to post an address.  And I wouldn't claim to be holding funds for any other reason but to help out SETI.  This way once they get a wallet set up they will have already have some bitcoin ready to send.  

1Cdr5KgYyQzkasD8JL1w2ZwATfeuMDLqpU

I'll probably throw some change in the jar as well.  

Here's my post on bitcointrading.com.

Edit: to expand upon this idea I have set up a deepbit.net account and set the automatic payment (@0.25 BTC) to go to that address (1Cdr5KgYyQzkasD8JL1w2ZwATfeuMDLqpU).  It's set up for proportionate payments, PPS is ridiculous.

So if you have some spare hashes, point your miner towards deepbit.net

username: seti@bitcointrading.com
pass: seti

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: