Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 06:19:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Namecoin key generation  (Read 403 times)
MangaPower (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 10:27:53 AM

How are the keys for Namecoin generated? I need the exact technical algorithm. I found a lot about the key generation mechanism for Bitcoin in the web, but nothing for Namecoin, except the fact that they are starting with N or M instead of 1.

I am very interested in key generation of Altcoins.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 01:52:02 PM

How are the keys for Namecoin generated? I need the exact technical algorithm. I found a lot about the key generation mechanism for Bitcoin in the web, but nothing for Namecoin, except the fact that they are starting with N or M instead of 1.

I am very interested in key generation of Altcoins.

and what do you need it for ? Smiley any illegal purpose or just curiosity?
MangaPower (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:43:39 PM

Illegal? What are you thinking about? No, of course not. I am student in Computer Science and will write my Bachelor Thesis about Bitcoin. I need to understand the technical background. Elliptic curve cryptography and the key generation mechanism in general. That means also for Altcoins.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 02:53:05 PM

Illegal? What are you thinking about? No, of course not. I am student in Computer Science and will write my Bachelor Thesis about Bitcoin. I need to understand the technical background. Elliptic curve cryptography and the key generation mechanism in general. That means also for Altcoins.

Ok cool Smiley I understand! I can't help you with understanding how keys are created but I hope you will find what you are looking for.

Kind regards!
R160K

Activity: 18
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:53:13 PM

The key generation algorithm for Namecoin and Bitcoin is exactly the same (i.e. the algorithm that produces the full public and private keypair). It is only the hashing algorithm that is different (i.e. the algorithm that produces a short Bitcoin/Namecoin address from the long public key).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: