Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:00:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can coin developers get paid  (Read 646 times)
slothbag (OP)

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 11:01:51 AM

I'm just going over some options of ways a crypto-coin developer can earn some money for their hard work and potentially keep them incentivized to continue working on it.

So which of the methods below are more acceptable to the crypto community?

• Developer allocates 100% in the genesis block to themself, keeps a portion and promises to distribute as they see fit
  • Developer allocates a small % in the genesis block to themself, remainder can be mined (whats an acceptable %)
  • Sell shares in exchange for BTC like an IPO, and then distribute initial coins based on IPO allocation. Developer would buy large stake
  • Protocol hardcoded to send a % of new coins/transaction fees to developers address
  • Built in voting system to allow new coins/fees to be allocated to contributors
  • Protocol hardcoded so any donations sent to developer pre assigned address give donors slight advantage/privilege over non donors

Or any other suggestions?
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 11:17:37 AM

donations by the community that's how the  Litecoin dev team gets funded .

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4498

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 11:24:45 AM

I'm just going over some options of ways a crypto-coin developer can earn some money for their hard work and potentially keep them incentivized to continue working on it.

So which of the methods below are more acceptable to the crypto community?

• Developer allocates 100% in the genesis block to themself, keeps a portion and promises to distribute as they see fit
    pre-mine. no thanks
    • Developer allocates a small % in the genesis block to themself, remainder can be mined (whats an acceptable %)
    pre-mine. no thanks
    • Sell shares in exchange for BTC like an IPO, and then distribute initial coins based on IPO allocation. Developer would buy large stake
    centralised and not freemarket. no thanks
    • Protocol hardcoded to send a % of new coins/transaction fees to developers address
    crypto tax. no thanks
    • Built in voting system to allow new coins/fees to be allocated to contributors
    crypto government. no thanks
    • Protocol hardcoded so any donations sent to developer pre assigned address give donors slight advantage/privilege over non donors
    forced donations or left confirmless.. unfair system. no thanks
    [/list]

Or any other suggestions?

how about get developers to make a website that takes on peoples idea's and suggestions. and puts on a bounty for that 'project'. if people really want that feature then they vote for it with money. that way developers learn what people want and only do work on something they get paid for.

imagine a list of suggestions:
    make client background skinable - vote: 1Arandomaddresstosendfundsto
    reduce minimal tx fee - vote: 1Arandomaddresstosendfundsto

developers see the list and get tempted to do the suggestion as there is money involved and demand for the feature

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
    Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
    slothbag (OP)

Activity: 369
    Merit: 250

View Profile
    March 05, 2014, 11:34:09 AM

how about get developers to make a website that takes on peoples idea's and suggestions. and puts on a bounty for that 'project'. if people really want that feature then they vote for it with money. that way developers learn what people want and only do work on something they get paid for.

Seems to me people are pretty stingy when it comes to coughing up for bounties.. You'll get the occasional generous contributor but I dont see that as a reliable income.

Looks like the IPO option is the most lucrative at the moment, with bitshares and mastercoin getting large investments before the software is even out.

Or the NXT approach made a lot for initial investors (though it was kinda an IPO also)
    E.exchanger

Activity: 714
    Merit: 500

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM US FOR HELP!

View Profile
    March 05, 2014, 05:10:02 PM

In my knowledge i think they get paid mainly by donations they receive from the community and the shares selling!! Smiley
    Pages: [1]
      Print  

Jump to: