Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:51:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-09-05] Goldman Sachs Is Reportedly Backing Off Plans for a BTC Trading Des  (Read 226 times)
Terraformer (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 09:17:18 AM

Goldman Sachs is dropping its plans to open a trading desk focused on cryptocurrencies, Business Insider reported Wednesday.

Previous reports had indicated that Goldman was hoping to set up a trading desk for bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies by the end of June. Now, Business Insider says, officials at the investment firm realized that more steps would need to be taken for a regulated bank to trade bitcoin, including factors beyond Goldman’s control.

Continue reading >> http://fortune.com/2018/09/05/goldman-sachs-bitcoin-trading-desk/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 01:21:11 PM
Merited by Samarkand (1)

Reportedly? No fucking news outlet has any actual source to refer to, and yet they keep echoing the same nonsense over the whole internet.  Roll Eyes

Mainstream media; Goldman Sachs backing off is the reason for Bitcoin's price to fall yesterday. What a bunch of retards. Learn how this market works you idiots.

If you think logically, Goldman Sachs doesn't need a trading desk, because they have Poloniex already. It makes zero sense for them to create a seperate trading desk and to have Poloniex collect dust. Whatever it is they will be doing with Poloniex, it's safe to say that it will be their sole focusing point.

Not knowledge, but common sense outperforms 95% of the market during this crypto bear market.
AXELNetwork

Activity: 153
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2018, 04:15:07 PM
Merited by vy99 (7)

Goldman Sachs is dropping its plans to open a trading desk focused on cryptocurrencies, Business Insider reported Wednesday.

Previous reports had indicated that Goldman was hoping to set up a trading desk for bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies by the end of June. Now, Business Insider says, officials at the investment firm realized that more steps would need to be taken for a regulated bank to trade bitcoin, including factors beyond Goldman’s control.

Continue reading >> http://fortune.com/2018/09/05/goldman-sachs-bitcoin-trading-desk/

They aren't "backing off" they're delaying it. Saying "backing off" indicates that they're no longer going to pursue this option but it's clear that they're delaying things to be more prepared for it, it's not a bad thing to do this.

Learn more about the AXEL project here: https://axel.network/
Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 04:56:58 PM

Reportedly? No fucking news outlet has any actual source to refer to, and yet they keep echoing the same nonsense over the whole internet.  Roll Eyes

The good old "crypto journalism". If there are no real news, they simply make
up a random story  Roll Eyes

If you think logically, Goldman Sachs doesn't need a trading desk, because they have Poloniex already. It makes zero sense for them to create a seperate trading desk and to have Poloniex collect dust.

I can´t believe that they paid 400M $ for Poloniex after the bull run
of 2017. The previous Poloniex owners really cashed out at the right time.
Maybe they were already seeing the signs of the altcoin crash on the wall.

These days Poloniex gets used less and less. E.g. today Poloniex is occupying
the 27th place on the exchange list by trade volume at Coinmarketcap.
Even obscure exchanges like Allcoin, OEX or DOBI trade are reporting
a higher volume than Poloniex (if you can actually believe all self-reported volume
numbers of exchanges is another story of course).

vy99

Activity: 126
Merit: 25

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 06:39:40 PM

They aren't "backing off" they're delaying it. Saying "backing off" indicates that they're no longer going to pursue this option but it's clear that they're delaying things to be more prepared for it, it's not a bad thing to do this.

Yup, it's funny how people with an agenda will spin things. I still see this as Goldman Sachs being serious about cryptocurrency but just waiting to make sure that they're totally ready when they launch. This doesn't mean they've soured on them.

I'm not cool enough to have a fancy signature so you're stuck reading this
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 06:52:12 PM

Strange to see a source of a tweet that existed almost one year yet they have not provided any reliable source for their news now, it will make you wonder if this news is really real or is just a group work made by news outlets to create some fire in the market. They might be teaming up and pretending that they have real juicy news when all they have along is a fake and self-made news. It hurts to say that even fake or unreliable news still has a negative effect in the market.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1347

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 08:21:30 PM

These days Poloniex gets used less and less. E.g. today Poloniex is occupying
the 27th place on the exchange list by trade volume at Coinmarketcap.
Even obscure exchanges like Allcoin, OEX or DOBI trade are reporting
a higher volume than Poloniex (if you can actually believe all self-reported volume
numbers of exchanges is another story of course).

They were one of the first all altcoin exchanges to push hard KYC rules and that probably made a lot of people leave. Personally, I used to use Polo and bittrex because there was no KYC. I wanted anonymity and didn't care about fiat, just wanted to trade coins. Then polo launched KYC, so I moved to Bittrex and not long after that it also wanted verification. I thought that If I really had to get there are much better exchanges. I can jump to one with a bigger volume and an ability to withdraw fiat. I bet that's what many people did last year.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 08:21:44 PM

Taking over an exchange isn't something that happens in a matter of weeks. In most cases it could take almost a year before you can actually own it, especially with all the legal hassle that Poloniex had to go through in order to have the deal be approved by higher authority. I think it's pretty safe to assume that Goldman & Co fomo'd hard and contractually agreed on an amount at the very early stage, which turns out now has been a bad decision.

It was hardcore seeing Poloniex push through 100k daily BTC volumes, which equates to around 150BTC in fee income every day. I think that's what Goldman & Co were after.

But yeah, the Poloniex owners did well dumping at prime rates.
acheampong64

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 10:08:05 PM
Last edit: September 07, 2018, 05:30:34 AM by acheampong64

But one fact we cannot deny is that when one says they're delaying it might mean they're gearing towards saying "no" or "they've backed off." For instance, the BTC ETF delays have proven a little sign to all of us that they're trying to back off nevertheless they're trying to get tighter rules first. My wish is that crypto didn't depend on these things to get price upsurge. These things have in deed affected the market this year.
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 11:32:41 PM

Apparently, this was the reason why markets went into a frenzy in panic dumping down to $6.5k which is the price right now? Whenever you see news like what Goldman Sachs issued back in June with their plans, you have to take the report at face value.

It is not a guarantee that they are going to pan out and actually go and do this project, but instead, it's just a plan.

This is just an example on things that could go not exactly what they are planned by even big corporations previously.

I do wonder what happened that made them make this decision, though. Seems like there were some regulatory pressure from above that made Goldman back out of this. Though, whether or not this is launched is quite over-hyped in my opinion, just like the bitcoin ETF. It's most likely not going to be something that will be of particular use to average bitcoin users. The fact that they are interested in the first place should have been the biggest news imo.

Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: