Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:35:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you feel about not psysically know people from the forum?  (Read 451 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
xtraelv
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 02:57:00 AM

It is easier to have misunderstandings and categorize people without seeing body language and facial expression. Apart from the hard-out scammers and spammers there are probably not a lot of people I would't have a coffee with. Even some that I haven't particularly got on with on here. Sometimes meeting in person changes that perspective while other times it confirms it.

I don't feel particularly saddened by not meeting most of the people on here since I probably would never have met them in real life. Geographical distance would have ensured that we would be unlikely to meet anywhere other than online or by some miraculous random occurrence whilst travelling. So I see it as an opportunity to meet people that have at least one interest in common  - Crypto. People who I would otherwise never have met.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
umrohyuk

Activity: 155
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 11:11:15 PM

It is as the consequent of cyber world, because people can easily interact with others even they never know them before. However, they who are interacting in cyber perhaps from different culture, it can be known by the word they use in the treating and chatting. Therefore, we should interact and say as good as possible. No matter we are interacting not physically people.
josephdd1

Activity: 1358
Merit: 513

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 06:11:28 AM

Its great not knowing people physically because you can think of them as being who, ever you like and sometimes is good to have an unformed impression of someone.
Ludji

Activity: 112
Merit: 5

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 06:56:06 PM

I’ve met a couple forum members. It’s always been a great experience. There are lots of troublemakers here who love to stir up trouble any way they can from behind a keyboard, but we all have a unique shared common interest that I think presented in the right atmosphere would likely turn many forum enemies into friends. I know I’d love to share a beer with anyone who loved Bitcoin as much as I do.

Ahh, this I agree with. Anonymity induces cruelty, as well as more primal feelings and behavior. Social boundaries are blurred or non-existent in an online community without clear rules and self-control is non-existent. There've been loads of studies conducted on this, here's an excerpt from Stanford uni:

On one side, there have been numerous studies done proving that with anonymity, human nature tends to be cruel and self-centered. One such study placed female college students in a space in which their identities were shielded and they were allowed to administer [fake] electrical surges to patients coming in. The study showed that over time, the electrical surges grew in duration especially towards patients who the female college students didn’t like. Just like these female college students became crueler in their shrouded identity, so do many online gamers. Under the assumption that there can be no consequence, many gamers choose to be much more cruel with their online personas then they would ever be face to face with others.
- Stanford article

Girlish vanity aside, it does allow us to look into the minds of people and what they become when there are no consequences for their actions, well, at least they don't endure them. Add destructive behavior to the mix and you've got yourself the typical scammer/cyber criminal. That's why online communities need strict rules, as well as people who actively enforce those rules, as people without social norms and control start acting "bad".

minhkhoa

Activity: 325
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 08:13:44 PM

Unbelievable about strangers knowing my real identity. Too many passwords are stolen and personal information leaked to take advantage of criminal law. Since there are so many bad guys around us, we need to be careful about everything.
hildacitra

Activity: 378
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 12:14:51 PM

It doesn't matter we are interacting and treating with people not physically know them, just the name. We never know the personality. It is as the consequent of the improvement of technology which makes the world seems smaller because we can reach the world only by phone. However, it should not hinder us to interact to others, wherever we interact the most crucial is morality and good behave.
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1584

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
September 29, 2018, 09:55:20 PM

If it were for me, I would upload myself to the cloud, avoid any physical presence and just infect systems at my leisure, so you can assume safely that I am happy about being pseudo-anonymous and not knowing others personally.
jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
September 29, 2018, 11:48:06 PM
Last edit: September 30, 2018, 09:02:56 PM by jeffthebaker

I think a lot of the "real world impact" you can feel depends highly on the stock you put into the forum. For me personally- I likely wouldn't feel too emotional about the passing of a personality on here. However in some other, more intimate channels of communication I participate in within the space, I've formed real bonds and friendships. If any of my friends I've had for years througj these channels were to pass, I think I would certainly be quite distraught.
Rylei

Activity: 132
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2018, 03:00:11 PM

For me, better like it this way; hiding our true identity under nicknames or usernames. No one really knows me. Besides, I'm really not comfortable chatting up with new people I do not know.
virendarnagpal

Activity: 672
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 30, 2018, 03:03:07 PM

I especially ask those of you who have been here more than two years, although all comments are welcome.

On the forum, you interact with people every day but you only see a nickname.

I’ve been on other forums before and you get one day when someone says that a certain member has died. That person knew him personally and that is why is saying it on the forum. And then, you think of some debates you shared with him, but all you can remember of him is a soul hidden under a nickname. You feel a bit sad, but not nearly as sad as if you had meet him in person.

I’ve been thinking that I’ll probably be on this forum for many years, getting increasingly involved, and then I think that all people I’ll interact with are souls hidden under nicknames.

In any kind of forum it is good to not personally know many people for privacy reasons (unless they were your friends before), but especially on this one it is more important. If you have been here for many years, you are probably loaded, and that’s why you have to be careful.

For me, the forum is motivating but has this a bit sad part.

This post shows your sensitivity; belongingness ; love for others; sympathy in your heart.  These qualities of heart are present in most of the human being though with different level of quantity.  Some are more concerned; though the others are very less caring for others.
It is sure that whenever we will hear news about the death of someone with whom we dealt in the past may be face to face or through social media chats.  
Becoming sad is natural part of sensitive human being.  The more you dealt some one or the more you were closer to someone; the more you will feel pain.  The lesser dealt with person's death will be giving lesser pain / sadness in your heart.

But I suggest we can just do one thing for the departed soul; just pray God Almighty for peaceful journey of the departed soul.

Oppang Inamo

Activity: 290
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2018, 11:12:57 PM

I especially ask those of you who have been here more than two years, although all comments are welcome.

I’ve been on other forums before and you get one day when someone says that a certain member has died. That person knew him personally and that is why is saying it on the forum. And then, you think of some debates you shared with him, but all you can remember of him is a soul hidden under a nickname. You feel a bit sad, but not nearly as sad as if you had meet him in person.

I’ve been thinking that I’ll probably be on this forum for many years, getting increasingly involved, and then I think that all people I’ll interact with are souls hidden under nicknames.

In any kind of forum it is good to not personally know many people for privacy reasons (unless they were your friends before), but especially on this one it is more important. If you have been here for many years, you are probably loaded, and that’s why you have to be careful.

One of the reasons why we could only see nicknames instead of a person's real profile and information is that modern technology's one of disadvantages is that it can be used for identity theft. And it worst case scenario, if a person near you knows your information, hacked you with the help of this (assuming) forum's open real life profile openness, could stalk you and even black-mail you. And that single thing could harm such life though not physically, but have a huge negative impact both emotionally and mentally.
Timmzzy

Activity: 784
Merit: 34

👉bit.ly/3QXp3oh | 🔥 Ultimate Launc

View Profile
October 01, 2018, 10:44:04 PM

Yes to me I feel kinda awkward, due to I can't see any one picture I just see nicknames and I believe this forum is the largest of it all in the Crypto atmosphere which in terms we say this is where the journey of bitcoin and other Cryptocurrency start and I believe lots of billionaires and millionaires came out from this forum. Definitely is a big room getting to know any one. Adding to that I guess it keeps your identity safe with you.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: