Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:00:29 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin won't ever become Mainstream. It's just a Prototype.  (Read 5232 times)
Joshuar (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:31:14 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2014, 02:44:15 PM by Joshuar

Is it either because many of you are too naive, or too stupid to understand the nature of Bitcoin. It's an anonymous virtual currency that's quite impractical and unstable. As shown just this month with Mt.Gox, it's price ]fell what, 30% in one day? I love how many of you are so against regulation, but without regulation is when there's a real problem. Illegal drug trafficking sites such as Silk Road made millions off people buying drugs through Bitcoin. There needs/will be regulation of a cryptocurrency in the future. The reason why the feds haven't bothered to regulate Bitcoin much in the USA, or completely ban it in other countries is because of it's price fluctuations, high transaction times, transaction malleability, possibility of a 51% attack, and very high energy output to mine, which they know that after a while people will Move on to another more efficient, more practical for daily use cryptocurrency . They know that in the future, a new cryptocurrency without all the flaws of Bitcoin will emerge, and WILL become mainstream which Bitcoin hasn't, still 5 years after it's release and never will become. Once that happens you can expect regulation no matter how "anonymous" you think it is. Bitcoin reminds me of a Prototype, when it's just being tested by people but not the real deal. Also, maybe like Myspace, as it will get dethroned(even as it claims to be king with its burger king crown) by a cryptocurrency that'll break through to the general population.

Just giving you all naive suckers a heads up.

Pce.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 02:35:24 PM

Bitcoin is not mentioned to go mainstream.

Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency and it should be streamed over all Internet - and it did.

Ty.
Joshuar (OP)

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:37:02 PM

Bitcoin is not mentioned to go mainstream.

Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency and it should be streamed over all Internet - and it did.

Ty.

Bitcoin isn't meant to go mainsteam, hmm, well it looks like A lot of people sure hope/intent for it go mainstream, where'd you get that from? I have absolutely no idea where you're going with your statements...

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:37:02 PM

Is it either because many of you are too naive, or too stupid to understand the nature of Bitcoin. It's an anonymous virtual currency that's quite impractical and instable. As shown just this month with Mt.Gox, it's price ]fell what, 30% in one day? I love how many of you are so against regulation, but without regulation is when there's a real problem. Illegal drug trafficking sites such as Silk Road made millions off people buying drugs through Bitcoin. There needs/will be regulation of a cryptocurrency in the future. The reason why the feds haven't bothered to regulate Bitcoin much in the USA, or completely ban it in other countries is because of it's price fluctuations, high transaction times, and high energy output to mine, which they know that after a while people will Move on to another more effiencet, more practical for daily use cryptocurrency . They know that in the future, a new cryptocurrency without all the flaws of Bitcoin will emerge, and WILL become mainstream which Bitcoin hasn't, still 5 years after it's release and never will become. Once that happens you can expect regulation no matter how "anonymous" you think it is. Bitcoin reminds me of a Prototype, when it's just being tested by people but not the real deal. Also, maybe like Myspace, as it will get dethrowned(even as it claims to be king with its burger king crown) by a cryptocurrency that'll break through to the general population.

Pce.
Wait, you bash Bitcoin, but you have a bitcoin tip address in your signature.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:39:16 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2014, 04:15:30 PM by DeathAndTaxes

TCP/IP will never go mainstream.  It is just a prototype.  The idea that a protocol which was state of the art in the 1970s, will still be used by billions of people in the 2010s is just stupid.  By 1979 the internet hadn't become mainstream so obviously it was never going to happen.  Something more efficient (and totally incompatible) will come along and we will use that instead.
Joshuar (OP)

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:39:22 PM

Is it either because many of you are too naive, or too stupid to understand the nature of Bitcoin. It's an anonymous virtual currency that's quite impractical and instable. As shown just this month with Mt.Gox, it's price ]fell what, 30% in one day? I love how many of you are so against regulation, but without regulation is when there's a real problem. Illegal drug trafficking sites such as Silk Road made millions off people buying drugs through Bitcoin. There needs/will be regulation of a cryptocurrency in the future. The reason why the feds haven't bothered to regulate Bitcoin much in the USA, or completely ban it in other countries is because of it's price fluctuations, high transaction times, and high energy output to mine, which they know that after a while people will Move on to another more effiencet, more practical for daily use cryptocurrency . They know that in the future, a new cryptocurrency without all the flaws of Bitcoin will emerge, and WILL become mainstream which Bitcoin hasn't, still 5 years after it's release and never will become. Once that happens you can expect regulation no matter how "anonymous" you think it is. Bitcoin reminds me of a Prototype, when it's just being tested by people but not the real deal. Also, maybe like Myspace, as it will get dethrowned(even as it claims to be king with its burger king crown) by a cryptocurrency that'll break through to the general population.

Pce.
Wait, you bash Bitcoin, but you have a bitcoin tip address in your signature.

So what does having a Bitcoin tip address in my signature have to with anything? I can have " I love Putin" Sign on my car, does that mean I love Putin? No, it could be sarcasm, someone else could of put it there and I haven't bothered to take it off, or better yet I realized Putin's flaws and decided to turn against him. There could be multitude of reasons as to why I have a bitcoin tip address in my signature.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Joshuar (OP)

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:43:03 PM

TCP/IP will never go mainstream.  It is just a prototype.  The idea that a protocol that was state of the art in the 1970s will be used by billions of people in the 2010s is just stupid.  By 1979 the internet hadn't become mainstream so obviously it was never going to happen.  Something more efficient than the internet will come along and we will use that instead.  

So you want to go that road huh? Compare Bitcoin to any other successfull sites since the year 200. I could name Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Spotify, the list goes on etc etc and want to know what all those sites have in common? They became successfull within a very short time and Mainstream. Bitcoin is supposed to be this new, next generation, of money handling, but has is a very long way off being adopted by the general public, who aren't programmers and tech guys. It's simply never going to get any higher in terms of popularity, too many flaws.

Not to mention you can't compare the Internet to Bitcoin..If you do research, you'd know Bitcoin wasn't the first virtual currency ever created, but the most successful thus far, at least in the tech and illegal community but not general public, especially because it's decentralized and anonymous(Perfect for Drug Dealers).

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:45:12 PM

TCP/IP will never go mainstream.  It is just a prototype.  The idea that a protocol that was state of the art in the 1970s will be used by billions of people in the 2010s is just stupid.  By 1979 the internet hadn't become mainstream so obviously it was never going to happen.  Something more efficient than the internet will come along and we will use that instead. 

So you want to go that road huh? Compare Bitcoin to any other successfull sites since the year 200. I could name Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Spotify, the list goes on etc etc and want to know what all those sites have in common? They became successfull within a very short time and Mainstream. Bitcoin is supposed to be this new, next generation, of money handling, but has is a very long way off being adopted by the general public, who aren't programmers and tech guys. It's simply never going to get any higher in terms of popularity, too many flaws.
Ok now I think you are just trolling since you have no idea what you are talking about. You compare Bitcoin to a site, it's not a site.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:45:54 PM

I started getting warnings like this when bitcoin was about to reach $1. "Bitcoin will never be worth $1, here is a chart to prove it!"

Roll Eyes

If you do a little reading you will see that your great discovery has been discussed for years now. It just does not pass the smell test with me because I have seen hundreds of threads like yours and made lots of money the whole time.

I guess a naive sucker like me just can't loose?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:46:21 PM

TCP/IP will never go mainstream.  It is just a prototype.  The idea that a protocol that was state of the art in the 1970s will be used by billions of people in the 2010s is just stupid.  By 1979 the internet hadn't become mainstream so obviously it was never going to happen.  Something more efficient than the internet will come along and we will use that instead.  

Bitcoin isn't a website, it is a protocol.   Facebook, myspace, and twitter are still running on the flawed and ancient protocol that was around at the start of the internet.  

The internet circa 1969

The internet circa 1977

That is right it took almost a decade to build it out to just a couple dozen nodes.

The internet circa 2000
http://mountpeaks.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/1069646562-lgl-2d-4096x40962.png
reactive4ce

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:48:40 PM

price fluctuations, high transaction times, and high energy output to mine, which they know that after a while people will Move on to another more effiencet, more practical for daily use cryptocurrency . They know that in the future, a new cryptocurrency without all the flaws of Bitcoin will emerge

Smiley I guess you did not put much effort in understand Bitcoin, none of this is flaw
reg

Activity: 463
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:25:03 PM

Is it either because many of you are too naive, or too stupid to understand the nature of Bitcoin. It's an anonymous virtual currency that's quite impractical and unstable. As shown just this month with Mt.Gox, it's price ]fell what, 30% in one day? I love how many of you are so against regulation, but without regulation is when there's a real problem. Illegal drug trafficking sites such as Silk Road made millions off people buying drugs through Bitcoin. There needs/will be regulation of a cryptocurrency in the future. The reason why the feds haven't bothered to regulate Bitcoin much in the USA, or completely ban it in other countries is because of it's price fluctuations, high transaction times, transaction malleability, possibility of a 51% attack, and very high energy output to mine, which they know that after a while people will Move on to another more efficient, more practical for daily use cryptocurrency . They know that in the future, a new cryptocurrency without all the flaws of Bitcoin will emerge, and WILL become mainstream which Bitcoin hasn't, still 5 years after it's release and never will become. Once that happens you can expect regulation no matter how "anonymous" you think it is. Bitcoin reminds me of a Prototype, when it's just being tested by people but not the real deal. Also, maybe like Myspace, as it will get dethroned(even as it claims to be king with its burger king crown) by a cryptocurrency that'll break through to the general population.

Pce.

you forgot to mention the altcoin you are pumping!
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:41:24 PM

Pce.

you forgot to mention the altcoin you are pumping!

lol priceless  Grin
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495794.msg5472497#msg5472497

Joshuar (OP)

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:55:45 PM

price fluctuations, high transaction times, and high energy output to mine, which they know that after a while people will Move on to another more effiencet, more practical for daily use cryptocurrency . They know that in the future, a new cryptocurrency without all the flaws of Bitcoin will emerge

Smiley I guess you did not put much effort in understand Bitcoin, none of this is flaw

Using ridiculous amounts of electricity just to mine Bitcoin isn't a flaw? It's unstable price isn't a flaw? One day you could buy 500 Bitcoin for 500k and the next day the price could plummet, losing you money. Even if you hold onto the Bitcoin and wait for the market to pick up, what if it never goes or you're too late? And people have already started transition to a new, better alt coin.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
tenthirtyone

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:07:21 PM

TCP/IP will never go mainstream.  It is just a prototype.  The idea that a protocol that was state of the art in the 1970s will be used by billions of people in the 2010s is just stupid.  By 1979 the internet hadn't become mainstream so obviously it was never going to happen.  Something more efficient than the internet will come along and we will use that instead. 

Let's be honest, TCP/IP shouldn't be what we use. Since the government held a monopoly on the early Internet for the first half of the Internet's existence they got to embed whatever they thought worked best instead of what actually worked best.

That said, I think Bitcoin is so revolutionary that no one is going to line up to build a second crypto infrastructure for a competitor coin anytime soon.
fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:09:47 PM

Hey did you notice those footprints on the ceiling above you?
Coins4life

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:12:59 PM

Exactly
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:19:41 PM

Compare Bitcoin to any other successfull sites since the year 200. I could name Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Spotify, the list goes on etc etc and want to know what all those sites have in common? They became successfull within a very short time and Mainstream.

Bad analogy.

Bitcoin is not a "site"  and is more accurately compared to a protocol like SMTP (or its predecessors in electronic mail) which took THIRTY YEARS to begin to become mainstream.

The two main reasons it took email so long were:

1.  It exists to replace and augment an extremely entrenched and historical system: mostly government postal systems.

2.  The technology was not yet fully evolved into a propagated technological platform for mass acceptance.

THIS is exactly like bitcoin 2011 or so.  We are in the early 90s of email and the internet when people are still asking each other about whether they have tried it or not.  Today you carry a device in your pocket that delivers it, and its little relative SMS, etc.  Bitcoins acceptance curve will be much much faster than emails because in part OF email and the cellphone.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:28:31 PM

If that is the case, aren't you just wasting your own time writing the above novel? Also you are trying to get prototype tips?
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:41:37 PM

As shown just this month with Mt.Gox, it's price ]fell what, 30% in one day?

The price fell from $33 to $2 in less than 6 months in 2011. That's a loss of 96% of its value. The week after it hit $2, Wired ran this article:
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/11/mf_bitcoin/

Everything you've made as a criticism has been made before and will be made again.

To be frank, I don't think any of us care what the speculators think of Bitcoin as a currency anymore. Whatever value it has on any single day is always going to be dwarfed by what it can do. Bitcoin is the only crypto-currency with any form of serious development, though that *could* change to any of the alts given enough time. It's important to see every crypto-currency as a protocol. Whichever protocol sees the most development is going to continue to be the one people use in the future.

IP basically beat out most of the other protocols for becoming the protocol of the Internet because there were people willing to work on it and have it do new things that were necessary to link up multiple networks. That's really all it took. When we look back on it, though, we don't look at it as having "won", just having been the one digital solution that programmers sort of coalesced around.

Bitcoin is the one digital currency that most programmers are sort of coalescing around. Look at MintChip and Ripple which are direct competitors of Bitcoin and not clones. They pale in comparison. Even alts based on Bitcoin have more programmers working on them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: