Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:37:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Native American tribes adopt Bitcoin-like currency, prepare to battle US governm  (Read 792 times)
zulu860 (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

iseebitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 02:56:44 PM

The programmer and Native American activist Payu Harris raised a gavel Monday night and vigorously banged the bell to open trading at The Bitcoin Center, a meeting space for virtual currency geeks that looks like an empty art gallery in the middle of New York’s Financial District.

Harris was there to promote MazaCoin, a cousin of Bitcoin that is now the official currency of the seven bands that make up the Lakota nation. After an hour of questions, Harris thanked the small crowd and was promptly accosted by a tall man and a woman in red who wanted to buy some MazaCoin, which Harris was selling for 10 cents apiece. The two trailed him around the room as he hunted for a printer so he could issue the digital currency on paper. MazaCoin is a month-old cryptocurrency based on the same proof-of-work algorithm as Bitcoin, the virtual currency that approximates cash on the internet — but no one in the room was equipped to made a digital trade.

There have been a slew of copycats since the rise of Bitcoin in 2009. The first wave attempted to improve on the basic Bitcoin protocol. The second wave, which includes the meme-based Dogecoin and the Icelandic Auroracoin, are catering to specific groups.

Full story here:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/5/5469510/native-americans-assert-their-independence-through-cryptocurrency-mazacoin

Bitcoins: 157TGFQRUWuBC5pREHcpkXfgCWGrQ9Zti6   iseebitcoins.com
Zimstake: EDEtRKNMUMZrsMCxTKvnz8U2Y84NPQDS2r
Cannabiscoin: CGj3H5AgJKTNeiPCsv2akbQiSSGUjcRjBE
gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:14:08 PM

I don't understand why native Americans who usually have sustainability in mind have been mesmerized by electronic crypto currencies.

If they have the right to issue their own currency they should instead issue physical silver coins that do not require any computers, electricity or internet to work.

Im a geek, but Im also aware of peak oil and the collapse of the modern society and the infrastructure needed to run cryptos.
Therefore I have most of my savings in physical gold and silver, not cryptos.
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:31:48 PM

the lakota have their own gold and silver coins currency as well ..

they are not preparing to battle the us government ..

they have treaties ..
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 03:45:48 PM

I don't understand why native Americans who usually have sustainability in mind have been mesmerized by electronic crypto currencies.

If they have the right to issue their own currency they should instead issue physical silver coins that do not require any computers, electricity or internet to work.

Im a geek, but Im also aware of peak oil and the collapse of the modern society and the infrastructure needed to run cryptos.
Therefore I have most of my savings in physical gold and silver, not cryptos.

This isn't the middle ages. We live in a global connected society by the way of the Internet where gold and silver are useless as a common means of economic exchange. Thinking gold and silver will make a comeback as the next money after fiat is foolish. Metals as a currency are unviable in the world we live in now. During a world collapse scenario, people will care about food and water, not gold with they cannot eat or protect themselves with.

This tribe is effectively bootstrapping their own crypto-economy which may bring them out of poverty. Each Maza represents a share of the tribes economic prosperity. With it is education to the tribe on using, maintaining, and building their network, which may lead them to be top developers in the digital realm someday, unlocking all sorts of potential for them.

To do the same kind of currency creation in precious metals, they would have to purchase it first with money they don't have, and then the costs of minting them, transporting them, etc. This is incredibly wasteful. And then what? Having a gold or silver coin that absolutely no one accepts as money outside their lands the world wouldn't help them. They would just have a closed economy of metal coins that are hard to spend and transport. Digital currency lets them interact with a worldwide digital economy, and makes it very easy for merchants to accept Mazas in minutes. It is all done with completely free and open software instead of a cabal of special interest mining companies, minters, leading back to banks and bankers, which as we have seen over and over again just ends in absolute corruption and wealth disparity.

As far as sustainability goes, do you have any idea how destructive mining is to our planet? The energy needed to drive computers can be derived from nature in the form of solar, geothermal, etc. The gold in your vault likely left its mark in the form of mercury contamination or other chemical waste, and devastation of the local ecology surrounding the mine.

Sorry, I just find your logic incredibly flawed.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: