Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:44:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are there any good ways to buy BTC with Paypal anymore?  (Read 1694 times)
Dextro (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 11:52:20 PM
Last edit: October 29, 2011, 12:48:30 AM by Dextro

Well Coinpal has been down for a while, and Paypal is really bitchy in the business it does, exchanging currency via the internet, you guys know.

I am an honest person, but since sending money from paypal in exchange for BTC to other traders is a risky business for the Bitcoin supplier, as Paypal payments can be refunded, whereas Bitcoin cannot.

So, I have all the requirements to be a purchaser of bitcoin, except for the paypal ordeal.

To get to the point, I am a completely legitimate and honest person, but for financial reasons I do not have any other forms of electronic payment other than Paypal. How does someone with paypal-only go about making a trade that feels safe for both parties?

What I was thinking, was that I could find a highly-reputable BTC supplier, probably over BitcoinTalk, of course. Then I would then purchase, for example, a $125 Gift Card to ebay, and since eBay giftcards are not irreversible, I could send the giftcard to the supplier, and have them add those funds to their paypal account, or eBay, either way confirming that the giftcard is legitimate and is there's. Then, the supplier, now knowing well that I am a respectable customer, sends the bitcoin to my address and when I have received it, the trade is finished with a virtual handshake.

For a paypal to bitcoin trade though, the gift card would have more value in USD than it would in bitcoin, so the bitcoin supplier would actually be gaining some value from the trade, thus making the trade an even better investment. I have absolutely no problem with trading a $125 eBay giftcard for $118 worth of bitcoins.

Would this work? If I offered to send a gift card FIRST, that is worth more than the bitcoins you offer, would you engage in such a deal? I don't see why not as there is no risk factor involved.

(Hypothetical)

So, good plan or not?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 12:08:27 AM

Roger Ver with MemoryDealers.com is selling the Cascascius coins at his site for CC and Paypal:  http://www.memorydealers.com/bieq.html
likuidxd

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 12:15:13 AM

I have done many paypal transactions and haven't been burned yet.
This is how I do mine...

• Agree on amount to be purchased and a purchase price via PM, board, email
  • Buyer (verified paypal only) makes payment to sellers paypal account as gift payment
  • After payment is confirmed received, partial BTC payment is sent to buyers wallet (5%-25% depending on purchasing amount)
  • After payment clears from paypal to another account (3-4 business days), remainder sum of BTC is sent to purchasers wallet

Cost per BTC is greater than current ask/bid on the exchanges and a mining fee of 5%-10% is placed on top of total cost.

I hold a bank account for this purpose only and keep no money in it, paypal cannot request return of funds, and no cc's are tied to my paypal account. I've spoken with a friend at a local credit union and he informed me that it does not matter what was purchased, if you supply proof and agreement of purchase paypal has no recourse to return funds to the buyer. I keep all records of emails and board messages for 60 days.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 12:15:44 AM

Are there any good ways to buy BTC with Paypal anymore?

No.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 01:52:04 AM

So, good plan or not?
It works, but not because PayPal works. You are doing something that doesn't even have to involve PayPal.

You're buying a gift. Then selling the gift card. As long as neither paypal, nor ebay can cancel or withdraw funds from the account that the ebay giftcard goes to, this would be a viable transaction.

I don't think they would revoke the funds on the giftcard or account, but they would certainly go after the original buyer of the giftcard for bouncing a ~125 purchase.

If I were you, I wouldn't mention how you bought the giftcard.
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2011, 05:30:25 AM

Are there any good ways to buy BTC with Paypal anymore?

No.

I disagree,
I think the premium on the 25BTC coin is not too bad.  (About 12% over the current ask price)
There is free shipping anywhere inside the USA,   so considering the paypal fees and chargeback risk,  this seems very reasonable.

The fact that we sold around 1,000 coins in the first few days means lots of other people agree.

Please give it a try:

http://www.memorydealers.com/bieq.html

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 02:10:36 PM

Good luck memorydealers, remember that paypal can still happily close your account if they wish...

astana

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 08:20:30 PM

Would this work? If I offered to send a gift card FIRST, that is worth more than the bitcoins you offer, would you engage in such a deal? I don't see why not as there is no risk factor involved.

(Hypothetical)

So, good plan or not?

No, it won't work and I'll tell you why no one should exchange in that way. #1 rule never deal in gift cards, 99% chance the card is bought with a stolen CC or hacked paypal, it will get canceled with in the hour, if not within 15 minutes.
pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 12:36:35 AM

virwox.com

Paypal and Moneybookers

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 05:40:56 AM

Virwox rocks!  Grin

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 01:16:32 PM

virwox.com

Paypal and Moneybookers

+1

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 01:24:33 PM

Roger Ver with MemoryDealers.com is selling the Cascascius coins at his site for CC and Paypal:  http://www.memorydealers.com/bieq.html

you should take extreme care buying Cascascius coin from any other than him because it can be forged or duplicated by a motivated person.
I could sell 10 or more clones of the same physical coin linking to the same bitcoins in the blockchain and the firsts person who redeems their coin gets the value the other 9 would be left nothing more than a nice shiny coin  Shocked

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: