Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:19:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to keep BTC if I don't want to keep in exchange?  (Read 2005 times)
maichimoto

Activity: 238
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2018, 12:21:15 PM

A few weeks ago I got an email telling me that my password had been changed by someone on my poloniex account. So, I suppose therefore my account was hacked. Immediately I went to freeze the account and changed my password. But the thing is, I don't want to risk that happen again with a large amount stored in the exchange.

Where would be the best place to keep my BTC while I'm not trading with it in an exchange? I don't feel as if storing it on my own hard drive is very secure as hard drives can fail, and what can you do if that happens..?

definitely a hardware wallet, either trezor or ledger. That way you can make sure the transaction is signed directly in your device, that is protected by password. Just make sure you back it up well

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Descon

Activity: 61
Merit: 3

Staker.network - POS Smart Contract ETH Token

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2018, 12:49:31 PM

All  type of wallet may it be a web or hardware etc. Will have both pros and cons you just have to decide on which will you be more comfortable and feel safe.

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
funchiestz

Activity: 1134
Merit: 342

View Profile
September 07, 2018, 12:54:11 PM

My mind is not a better option than Ledger. Ledger is both safe and physical. Buy one Ledger and relax.
Joshercine

Activity: 75

View Profile
September 07, 2018, 01:02:58 PM

You can generate a paper wallet with a qr code or download for example an electrum desktop wallet. Other than that buy yourself a Ledger, an external device that looks like a pendrive, that can keep several cryptocurrencies in a very safe way.
BabyBoar

Activity: 27

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 06:54:47 PM

There are many hardware and software wallets that provide good security for cryptocurrencies. I think Trezor, Ledger Nano S, Jaxx and Mycelium any one of them could be good. My preference would be a hardware wallet.
Vipersia

Activity: 315

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 07:04:09 PM

Few bitcoin wallet may charge a few bucks in return of a bulletproof platform for storing your coins. So if you have a substantial amount to store, you might consider the option.
WinterCamel

Activity: 26

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 07:11:14 PM

Have to say you are hugely lucky that you didn't lose any money with the whole hacking situation. Better look for a solid platform to store your coins.
MarbleAlligator

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 07:23:52 PM

Everyone should be aware of this type of issue. Please take help from google. Use the best way to secure your account.You can keep it in safe wallet too.Now a days hardware wallet is also safe to use.
BattleHippo

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 07:26:48 PM

before giving you any suggestions I will like to explain you one thing very clearly that it depends on your demands and choices but if you want to know about the update then hardware wallet is more popular
CrashLamb

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 07:40:46 PM

I am glad that you are asking for my opinion but I will say that it is mostly depends on you cause what are your recommend you knows it better but if you ask for suggestions then as per the record people are depending on offline hardware wallet
AngryPanther

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 07:51:02 PM

Maintain in a safe and sound wallet. You can obtain basic but extremely respected wallets like Coinomi or Blockchain actually from a Google play store. All you must perform is normally guarantee you possess your passphrase duplicated out and hidden someplace secure.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 10:10:58 PM

A few weeks ago I got an email telling me that my password had been changed by someone on my poloniex account. So, I suppose therefore my account was hacked. Immediately I went to freeze the account and changed my password. But the thing is, I don't want to risk that happen again with a large amount stored in the exchange.

Where would be the best place to keep my BTC while I'm not trading with it in an exchange? I don't feel as if storing it on my own hard drive is very secure as hard drives can fail, and what can you do if that happens..?

it depends how often you'll need to access it. i prefer to put most of my coins into very cold storage--encrypted core wallet.dat generated offline and copied onto a few storage mediums.

then i leave the rest of my coins in electrum wallets that use the offline signing method, which is much safer than a desktop wallet connected to the internet, or an online wallet.

here's a tutorial on how to set up an offline signing setup with electrum: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3g16qy/i_made_a_tutorial_on_how_to_sign_transactions/

(note: it's best to use a camera + QR code rather than USB sticks, although i've never heard of successful bitcoin theft via USB stick malware + offline encrypted wallet)

Demonster

Activity: 31

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 12:52:34 PM

You can get simple but highly trusted wallets like Coinomi or Blockchain. i am also use it. you can try it. it's more secure and reputable. it will perform better than other.
YellowRose

Activity: 31

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 01:24:36 PM

To keep your bitcoin you can use hardware wallet you can also go for ledger nano s. It’s a offline wallet. It can have the capability to secure your coin. I think ledger nano s is best for you.
HonestAlien

Activity: 32

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 02:11:22 PM

there are lots of wallet where you can keep you bitcoin safely. i will suggest hardware wallet which is safe and secure. you can try this.
Hydroid

Activity: 29

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 02:23:06 PM

you can go for ledger nano s wallet. here your bitcoin is perfectly sucure.and if you buy this it allows multicurrency and this is user friendly also.
HonestAlien

Activity: 32

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 02:26:12 PM

differents kind of wallet are avilable in the market. paper wallet, mobile wallet, hardware wallet ect. you can use anyone to keep your bitcoin.
BigSheep

Activity: 30

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 02:40:04 PM

What could be happend. If you want to keep your BTC safe, you can keep your BTC in hardware wallet wallet as a stock. It seems to be safer for you and the wallet gives you more security. If you want to know about secutiry then know more about Hardware Wallet.
rosstiller

Activity: 98

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 03:51:32 PM

Hardware wallets are considered to be more secured than software wallets. Trezor is a good hardware wallet and it can be operated through Windows, Linux and IOS. This might be a suitable choice.
btCHOOop

Activity: 55

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 04:14:10 PM

I think you can go for hardware wallet. Ledger Nano S supports Bitcoin and many Altcoins as well. This is one the most reliable and secure hardware wallets and might be good for storing your coins for long term.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: