Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:17:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Boycott anti-bitcoiners movement. You discriminate Bitcoin, we boycott you.  (Read 3324 times)
Vladimir (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 09:53:01 AM

Boycott anti-bitcoiners movement. (#BABM). You discriminate #bitcoin, we #boycott you. Fair is fair.

Some companies chose to discriminate bitcoin users. As, for example, reported here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNUsgX-ZTZM
http://mrmoneyhustler.blogspot.com/

Out of top of my head we already have quite a few candidates to BABM wrath.

Ebay
Paypal
Webstore

Some companies, for example, like paypal/ebay are very difficult to boycott due to their monopoly position in some markets. One could try to help the boycott effort anyway, simply by minimizing usage of their services as much as possible and by giving some custom to their competitors where possible.

Tell us here and in https://bitcoin.org.uk/forums/topic/404-boycott-anti-bitcoiners-movement-babm-you-discriminate-bitcoin-we-boycott-you-fair-is-fair/ if some company discriminates Bitcoin.

Some of us would be happy to add those to the "shit list".

Tell us if you would like to join BABM (boycott anti-bitcoiners movement) and who you personally are going to boycott.

If you think this idea is any good, tweet it. Spread the word.

-

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
robocop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 11:02:34 AM

It make sense because paypall make profit with financial services which will be needless in a bitcoin world.
And ebay is the owner of paypall ;-)

And the document on mrmoneyhustler is from a dummy because the blowing up of the current fiat money system don't have a longterm advantage and the result will be the same that people boycott the currency.
So if in the future the bitcoin will not accepted from a lot of people so the bitcoin will die and a new currency will come.
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 12:55:37 AM

Free software foundation use to accept bitcoin donation but then decided against ist.  also gamers forum had a mining thread , then they took it down because they thought bitcoin was a fraud, there are many silver gurus against bitcoin.
elggawf

Activity: 308

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 03:59:45 AM

I can't do it. Bitcoin makes up for maybe $40 in transactions from our business (I've actually made a fair amount more through mining, an HD5770 paid for itself, but as far as actual business throughput, it's effectively non-existent), Paypal makes up for probably 70% of it.

As much as I'd love to get us out from under the the thumb of Paypal, Bitcoin won't do that any time soon.

^_^
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2011, 04:01:39 AM

I do not like paypal but need to use it.  I do not like ebay but need to use it. 

Bitcoin interferes (or at least they think it does) with their business models.  So I can see why and really don't even have a problem with them not using it.  They do not allow google checkout and there are very few REAL reasons why google checkout would not be good for their customers. 

Alphonso Bedoya

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 01:47:34 PM

I agree with Littleshop. Also, al tho Paypal irritates me as well, I don't think "politicizing" bitcoins in this way is a good idea, for the same reasons that promoting it as a way way to buy drugs would not be a good idea. The adoption of bitcoins for general usage will need to be based on it's benefits for commerce and transfer, and side issues will "color" the image. Paypal and other businesses will adopt bitcoins when competition requires it. Plus, I don't think there aren't enough users yet for this to be an to be effective method of "persuasion". I am sure the time will come when it will be.
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 01:48:15 PM

I appreciate the sentiment, but Bitcoiners are such a tiny minority that this can't possibly accomplish anything.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 04:46:43 PM

I'm sure that I am quite mad, but my goal is to ween myself from fiat completely. A difficult task when the entire economy around you runs off of it.

+1

If there were a service to buy basic household items (food, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc) in Bitcoin, that'd go a long way to helping ween myself off of Fiat.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
elggawf

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 06:20:20 PM

Brave folks around here.  Grin "I dislike the system, but I need to use it." Ha!

Not really, with me. I don't use Bitcoin for political reasons, I don't buy into the whole political sandwich that makes up this forum and in fact that whole political aspect that seems firmly entrenched in the Bitcoin community is one of the reasons I don't push it very hard.

I said I would love to get out from under the thumb of Paypal, I didn't say I anything about herpa-derp overthrowing the system.

Finally, I love what I do. I don't really "work", because I'm genuinely happy doing what I do. Occasionally when the shit hits the fan and I have to spend 2 days straight rebuilding a server without any sleep (hasn't happened in a while though as I've taken steps to mitigate that) it feels like work, but the rest of the time I don't want to change anything.

It seems silly to throw all that away and go back to scraping by on $10/month because that's all I can get in Bitcoins, over some ideological dispute I really don't even give a shit about. The slavery and SUV comments were a nice touch too, though I'm a little disappointed you didn't go full-retarded and Godwin the fuck out of this thread too. Smiley

^_^
Blinken

Activity: 338
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 06:54:10 PM

Yeah, I am sure they will care about all three of you boycotting them.

Just be glad you are big enough on the bad boy's radar that you are getting discriminated against in the first place.

Bitcoin ♦♦♦ Trust in Mathematics, Not Bankers ♦♦♦
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2011, 06:55:06 PM

Free software foundation use to accept bitcoin donation but then decided against ist.  also gamers forum had a mining thread , then they took it down because they thought bitcoin was a fraud, there are many silver gurus against bitcoin.

Hey, be careful.  You're spreading misinformation: The FSF still takes bitcoin https://my.fsf.org/donate/other/
elggawf

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 07:03:44 PM

Hey, be careful.  You're spreading misinformation: The FSF still takes bitcoin https://my.fsf.org/donate/other/

He's thinking of the EFF.

^_^
onesalt

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 08:02:46 PM

paypal doesn't discriminate against bitcoin, it's specifically in their terms of use, and has been for years, that you can't use it for currency transfers. If you're going to fail to read the rules on a service that you decide to use and then fuck up by not reading said rules, it's your own fuckin fault you either lost money or got a letter from them saying "sorry you can't do this."

Jesus christ.
Blinken

Activity: 338
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 09:56:12 PM

I don't even know why we are talking about eBay in the first place. You can't sell batteries on eBay. eBay is the Barney the Dinosaur of the internet. Seriously they are probably going to outlaw any listing for a good that isn't made out of non-toxic foam rubber. Things like bitcoins give them a hissy fit.

Bitcoin ♦♦♦ Trust in Mathematics, Not Bankers ♦♦♦
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 03:32:21 AM

I just want to be free to use paypal and bitcoin, each to it's own things.
You aren't going to push Bitcoin forward by doing the same the "enemy" does to you because if you do, then you are not any better than the persons you criticize.

Let's boycott paypal because paypal boycotts bitcoin?Huh Does that make any sense? Especially because they are not boycotting bitcoin per se, just the fact that it's exchanging currency and paypal already does currency exchange, in it's own interface. My paypal accounts support several currencies and I can exchange between them.

Maybe the day will come when Bitcoin reaches a critical mass and paypal will be forced to implement Bitcoin as one of the supported currencies of their service, but you can bet that it's not going to happen if bitcoin supporters treat paypal as the enemy.
elggawf

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 03:44:00 AM

I wasn't talking to you specifically, which is why I didn't quote anyone. I was just addressing a general tone.

I'm all for you living your life however you want. Sorry if wanting to live mine how I want (in liberty) offends you.

If you think you aren't a slave, stop paying your property tax (assuming you own property and do not rent) and see what happens to you. Smiley

You living your life however you want doesn't offend me. You thinking that Bitcoin == liberty, kinda does though. I actually don't have an issue paying taxes, as long as they go for something worthwhile - in other words, not blowing up other countries then paying to rebuild them.

Frankly the smug tone of "well if you guys want to be slaves in the federal reserve holocaust then that's fine with me, but I'm the smart one living my life in freedom!" is just a little offensive and actually doesn't help your cause at all.

^_^
robocop

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 09:26:24 AM

I don´t need paypall because it is a potential security risk and only for people who are too comfortably to use a classic bank transfer.
Sure paypall is fast and uncomplicate but the price is a higher risk.
elggawf

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 02:17:20 PM

I don´t need paypall because it is a potential security risk and only for people who are too comfortably to use a classic bank transfer.
Sure paypall is fast and uncomplicate but the price is a higher risk.

Surely you mean from a merchant's perspective, because you're smoking crack if you think Paypal is more risky for the buyer...

... which is why people pay with it. Which, in turn, is why businesses grudgingly accept it - because if they don't let customers pay the way they want to pay, the customers go buy somewhere else. If you're big enough, you can say nope, but if you're not, you're stuck with it.

^_^
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 04:18:59 PM

What cornedbeefhash and psy said...

I already avoid using paypal and other existing systems as much as possible but I don't see a need for joining some organized "movement" and making a lot of noise about it. Being belligerent like that seems like it can only do harm to bitcoin.   Starting a fight with someone/something usually only makes them stronger and gives them a moral advantage in the eyes of many.   

I find a better revolution/evolution is to just ignore the current powers that be and freely choose alternative tools and systems.  They will lose their power base not by us having to conquer them and take it from them but by us just moving on and not paying attention to them anymore.   

If this threatens them and 'they' then choose to start a fight we will have the moral high ground and it will also show their desperation and their diminishing power and relevance in our changing world.   
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 04:25:27 PM

What cornedbeefhash and psy said...

I already avoid using paypal and other existing systems as much as possible but I don't see a need for joining some organized "movement" and making a lot of noise about it. Being belligerent like that seems like it can only do harm to bitcoin.   Starting a fight with someone/something usually only makes them stronger and gives them a moral advantage in the eyes of many.   

I find a better revolution/evolution is to just ignore the current powers that be and freely choose alternative tools and systems.  They will lose their power base not by us having to conquer them and take it from them but by us just moving on and not paying attention to them anymore.   

If this threatens them and 'they' then choose to start a fight we will have the moral high ground and it will also show their desperation and their diminishing power and relevance in our changing world.   

+10000

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: