Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:28:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Protecting your coins.  (Read 1261 times)
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 06:59:48 PM

Here is a situation of how some coins are protected.. I'm wondering if they are protected at all :S.

Format laptop.
Download wallet on laptop.
Send coins from desktop to laptop.
Encrypt wallet.
Back up wallet file on External hard drive + usb
FOrmat laptop

How secure is this method of storage?
Any recommendations on changes to this method?
Should I still be printing off my private key?
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:25:32 PM

Opinions?  Most IRL people I talk to about bitcoin are in utter amazment when I create a new folder and create a new text document in it...  This is the computer skill I am mostly surrounded by :S, so I don't really have anyone IRL to help me out.. Hence me asking silly questions.

I've read about doing the paper wallet thing but it's always nice to actually talk to people about it.

vpitcher07

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:27:45 PM

What about cold storage paper wallets? Give them a search if you've never heard. That's probably the safest and most secure way.

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 07:29:38 PM

That should be very secure.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
CryptoPanda

Activity: 882
Merit: 302

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:31:53 PM

Yeah and all that security will be waived next time you want to spend a bit.
Download Armory and follow their insturctions for offline storage.
THey are similar to what you do but with better usability.
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:32:36 PM

Sweet thanks!!!!

I've considering trying the paper wallet thing, I am just nervious about getting them back to hot wallet.  I guess I might as well just try it with .001 BTC and if I get screwed well.. I'll figure it out eventually.

Not gonna lie.. I already wrote a random catch phrase for an LTC wallet with 1 LTC on it(zomg read first eh!)....  Lesson learned.  I'm hesitent to make another stupid mistake lol.
vpitcher07

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:36:02 PM

I've considering trying the paper wallet thing, I am just nervious about getting them back to hot wallet.  I guess I might as well just try it with .001 BTC and if I get screwed well.. I'll figure it out eventually.

I understand. I always test my wallets before I send significant funds to them. But regardless, you should absolutely make paper backups and put them in safety deposit boxes or a safe. All hardware can fail, paper can't fail.

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:42:59 PM

I understand. I always test my wallets before I send significant funds to them. But regardless, you should absolutely make paper backups and put them in safety deposit boxes or a safe. All hardware can fail, paper can't fail.

So continue using the method I am but on top of it back up my private keys? (will do 100%)

Furthermore, I can continue to send coins to that address?  (I assume it will be updated with the correct amount when I put it back into hot state)

Thanks for all the help guys and girls!!!!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 07:51:10 PM

No need for a paper wallet if this works.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
camereye

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:12:57 PM

I use this :

- A good antivirus (Kaspersky)
- 2 anti-trojan
- An encrypted wallet stored in an hidden Truecrypt volume with a strong password.

Easy and secure.
BitcoinQTlol

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:15:49 PM

Download / Linux / TailsOS to a USB

Boot into Tails / Linux

Download Bitcoin-QT,

Disconnected from internet

Generate a address.

Dump the private key,  write it down...

unplug the usb / format it ( no need for it now )

send bitcoin to the public address!

secure cold storage
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:19:00 PM

That looks solid to me.
You might consider a two wallet system. Keeping one wallet offline in a bank vault. Then set up a wallet with a smallish balance for daily use. I like physical security because it confuses me less. A well hidden safe + monitored home alarm + my AR-15 = real security.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:53:10 PM

is bitcoin QT wallet safe? or will that be the next thing to get hacked due to some reason
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:11:04 PM

Here is a situation of how some coins are protected.. I'm wondering if they are protected at all :S.

Format laptop.
Encrypt wallet.
FOrmat laptop

This is very secure in terms of no fear of hacking. The first problem with it is your private keys are only on hardware. As someone already said all hardware can fail unexpectedly. You want to have a bare minimum of 2 copies of your private keys, but ideally 3 (or more). One of those copies should be paper format, which is guaranteed not to fail to work.

The next problem with your technique is your bitcoin will be perfectly safe, until you want to spend them. At some point you need to load your wallet file back onto a machine with Internet access. If that machine is compromised you can lose all your coins at that point, so you've only delayed the theft.

Using Bitcoin Armory solves these problems, because 1) it makes it easy to make a paper copy of your private keys and 2) it has a method for spending coins without exposing them to any online machine.
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:18:19 PM

You guys are freaking awesome!  So glad I came here to ask for help/info about this.  I feel much better about setting up security now, thanks for pointing out the flaws and security level to my system!  I'm going to have to get my private keys on paper, haven't tried to do that yet but it doesn't seem to hard! 
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:38:32 PM

Format laptop.
Encrypt wallet.
FOrmat laptop

Never connect the device you store your bitcoins on to the Internet and make sure your device is not capable of establishing wireless connections.

You might want to check out www.pi-wallet.com for such a device Smiley
jadagles

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:45:43 PM

If you are really paranoid, like me, you need to know that windows sux when it comes to securing/encripting your wallet for the first time. Again, it reads usb when you insert them, thus can bring malicious spy etc.

Try these http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1pxy4w/basic_bitcoin_security_guide/
              http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1u5yn6/easy_to_use_guide_how_to_get_bitcoin_safely_store/

My opinion is this:  you must be able to encrypt your wallet before is created so that a copy of it unencrypted should not leak. Don't use a very new printer, use a very old one that is offline and in contact only with the offline computer/wallet, so that nobody hacks it and tries to read the paper wallet.

Super paranoid mode on with all the settings. Now I'm 100% can't be stolen in any way virtually. Have copies of wallet in at least 3 locations. A small tip, maybe electrum is the answer.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 12:10:22 AM

and in the end: dont forget your password  Wink

rmines

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 12:12:43 AM

You didn't mention anything about a very important aspect: the passphrase length and complexity you use to encrypt your wallet.
How many characters? Did you include special characters?

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
Spare some change? 1LkqfvQTLAEiiCwTqkPRcvUdEmkCR11QDE
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 12:25:40 AM

You didn't mention anything about a very important aspect: the passphrase length and complexity you use to encrypt your wallet.
How many characters? Did you include special characters?

Over 15 chars, yes.

https://howsecureismypassword.net/ says  "It would take a desktop PC about 71 quadrillion years to crack your password"   A password of similar length and characters, didn't put my exact one in.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: