Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:23:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Patent an APP  (Read 167 times)
MbyzIco (OP)

Activity: 410
Merit: 158

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2018, 08:57:28 PM

Hello, I am evaluating patenting an idea for an app, which I have been working on for some time, as a final result in the medium term of the ICO that I have been developing.

I understand that there is a procedure whereby you put the patent pending for 12 months, period during which you must complete the documentation, I do not understand well if I must complete the project or the documentation of it.

From here my doubts are born, what should be the proper procedure to start the process? Where should it be patented to have greater coverage and protection? How much can the cost be and finally, if someone has had experience in this type of things, what recommendation do they have?

MBYZ
¦•-» El verdadero desafío es dar valor real a las monedas /The real challenge is to give real value to the currencies. «-•¦
¦ [Website] | [Telegram] | [Whitepaper] | [Youtube] | [Bitcointalk ANN] | [Instagram]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1348

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 09:09:59 AM

Patent laws vary by country. What country are you trying to file in?
I assume the timeframe you’re referring to doesn’t relate to completing the project. Most patents are there to protect work which takes significantly longer.
There are also lots of free resources online that you can refer to for an idea of the process and what it involves (timelines, requirements etc).
Tudors

Activity: 70
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 11:35:40 AM

Hello, I am evaluating patenting an idea for an app, which I have been working on for some time, as a final result in the medium term of the ICO that I have been developing.

I understand that there is a procedure whereby you put the patent pending for 12 months, period during which you must complete the documentation, I do not understand well if I must complete the project or the documentation of it.

From here my doubts are born, what should be the proper procedure to start the process? Where should it be patented to have greater coverage and protection? How much can the cost be and finally, if someone has had experience in this type of things, what recommendation do they have?

Don't know about patent cost, but I know that the cost of a trademark registered in 3 international classes across EU is about 3000 USD. Don't think that patent (which you want to get) will cost much more.
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1348

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 12:30:17 PM

I’ve looked into this slightly more and it seems that patenting an app is quite difficult. Most patents require there to be novelty/innovative elements which is difficult to prove with a mobile application unless it something truly revolutionary. Again, better to get a feel and advice from an IP lawyer but just a heads up.
Also take into consideration the cost and length of the process involved which will do little to deter copycat apps from appearing online.
MbyzIco (OP)

Activity: 410
Merit: 158

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2018, 05:06:12 PM

Thanks for the comments, I have been looking to patent in the United States, and the average cost ranges between 3,000 and 5,000 USD.
In this case, it is a unique product or offer that does not currently exist in the market, so I would like to protect it from communicating it, that is why I believe I must patent it before making it public.

MBYZ
¦•-» El verdadero desafío es dar valor real a las monedas /The real challenge is to give real value to the currencies. «-•¦
¦ [Website] | [Telegram] | [Whitepaper] | [Youtube] | [Bitcointalk ANN] | [Instagram]
Initscri

Activity: 1540
Merit: 759

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2018, 06:57:23 PM

Thanks for the comments, I have been looking to patent in the United States, and the average cost ranges between 3,000 and 5,000 USD.
In this case, it is a unique product or offer that does not currently exist in the market, so I would like to protect it from communicating it, that is why I believe I must patent it before making it public.

Your best bet is to hire a patent lawyer, who will go through all of the routes & paperwork with you. You may also wish to file the patent in more countries than the US (EU, Canada, etc).

If you do want to go through it yourself, be prepared to spend a lot of time learning (no doubt it's a good skill to have though).
Maybe start here?: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/getting-patent-yourself-29493.html

----------------------------------
Web Developer. PM for details.
----------------------------------
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: