Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:47:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the steps to take to publish the solution for blockchain scaling?  (Read 355 times)
vinodjax (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 05:41:58 PM

Ok dude. I'm looking forward for your next 'steps'.

Meanwhile:
Be more careful with the whole thing. A decentralized, permissionless consensus system is a hell of a software project. Hostile environment, sophisticated state machine, heavy game theory related issues, multiple socio-politico-economical factors involved, ... just take it more serious than a usual software project.

You should reconcile with literature in the field. Many brilliant people have contributed to crypto ecosystem and you can always find precious ideas reading their works.

As of my PoCW proposal, you can find it here.

Thanks for the link. Can you please check your PM? I am interested in knowing more about your vision.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vinodjax (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 05:44:31 PM

solution to onchain scaling
1. reduce the sigops limit per tx..  no one should get to have 20% control of a block for thier tx
benefit. more tx per block if a greedy tx'er tries and less time needed to validate each tx (its what would have solved the linier validation problem that legacy transactions had that certain paid devs used as an excuse to push segwit through)
(p.s some of the new/reintroduced OPCodes actually make 'malleability problem' possible again.. (facepalm))

2. let the 4mb WEIGHT be 4mb LEGACY space. that way you can take out all the jumbled code of x4 and just get back to normal WEIGHT=MB used and not the 'virtual' space used. 4mb should be 4mb 1 mb should be 1mb its the whole point of the limits

3. if space is the problem then stop adding in new features that increase the average bytes per TX. EG confidential payments will add more bytes to a TX.
if you really love privacy so much then go use LN and be private and leave bitcoins mainnet to be lean and also FULLY AUDITABLE where by people can see funds from block reward to current owner. to prove value is real.. hiding it will make people trust the currency less (oops did i just counter the other plans devs have to ruin bitcoin by screaming it cant scale it aint a payment network and soon it aint auditable(the plans of killing a currency are by taking away its utility))

4. go back to basics
bring back a fee mechanism thats not like the old one where the amount held by UTXO negates the bytes used to get the fee low. yea the old fee formulae made it cheap for rich UTXO and expensive for small holders (facepalm)

but instead a (simplified for conversational purpose)
bytes used * (144/confirms of UTXO)
meaning if the coins only have 1confirm it will cost them 144x more then normal.. thus spammers (over the ordinary use) pay more after all if they want to transact more than once a day. lock funds into LN and go play

I don't think this will scale to millions of tx / second. Please correct me if I am wrong. LN still needs locked multi-sig onchain transfers. If 2 million people were to use bitcoin in an ideal best case scenario, we are talking about 1 M locked transfers. Plus only 4200 locked transfers (deposits) per 10 minutes. Don't get me wrong, LN may perfectly work. But I am just not sure how often will people need to replenish the bonds (multi-sig) transactions and if a single chain can only provide so much space for such capacity.

Besides,

1) it also has to come down to a lot of availability (in terms of funds) given the number of HOPS it might take to reach your payment destination.
2) If a new account (public key) were to receive a transfer on the system, there's no chance you can do it via LN because you simply have to create a new state for the account. So, in a worst case scenario if there are a lot of new accounts that are on-boarded. It would simply be able to onboard only 4200 transactions per 10 minutes and hence take 5 years to onboard 1 billion users (Not to mention the huge disk space that the chain now takes up).
3) I personally believe that deflation is more of a rich get richer scheme. Money, in my opinion, was created for the sole purpose of getting people motivated to contribute to society by employing their skills, not simply making more with it (without any risk). Deflation simply means that people will end up hoarding more and it's never going to be adopted mainstream in that scenario because the mindset of the users would be to hoard it. I understand this is a sensitive point and hence I have simply stated that it's my opinion.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
September 15, 2018, 03:34:16 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2018, 03:52:48 PM by franky1
Merited by aliashraf (3)

I don't think this will scale to millions of tx / second.

we do not need millions a second..
think about it 1mill a second
= 60m a minute
= 3.6b an hour
= 86billion a day.
thats ludicrous

first of all visa stats and mastercard show that people on average do 45 transactions a month. which is 1.5 a day
obviously bitcoin is not as acceptable as visa/mastercard. so for now we should be working on less than visa and scale up as we go.

so with that said. we dont need a 86BILLION tx a day network we dont even need a 8.6 billion tx a day network. because not everyone is going to use bitcoin everyday right now.

so forget 1m tx a second. forget 100k tx a second.

the stupid fools that think what the community are begging for are move from <7 to  >million overnight and shout out "gigabytes by midnight" , are the small minded people that never actually think rationally or logically.
i really find it funny that the onchain scalers are not screaming for millions per second. but instead steady progress over time.. and its actually the offchain people who dont understand, dont trust or have been paid to give up on blockchains that are screaming for millions per second and gigabytes by midnight as the only options.

the true comunity are begging for progressive onchain rises over logical time. not huge leaps of onchain jumps or lse needing to abandon blockchain utility for some locked fed reserve network of swapping account of promissory notes

what we need to do is not let bitcoin get stifled so much that it ends up as a 0 tx a second and then just 5 mega factory TX's every 10 minutes where the LN factories swap their reserves with other factories onchain.. (bank reserve swaps) yea the devs want bitcoin to be the backend of the LN network. where reserves are swapped.. yep thats right they want bitcoin as a bankers reserve currency and where LN is the bankers payment system for their clients(channel users)

anyway we need to preserve onchain utility for normal people. that involves going back to basics. and then expand as we go too

so lets start by making tx's lean. to gt to a possible 4200tx per mb. then with 4mb being allowed by the devs. lets open the legacy limit so the full4mb can be used by such 16,800tx for 4mb.
16,800 =2million a day
(oh look the 2million users a day in YOUR 2million ideal scenario)

so using actual stats from visa of spending per day. 2million users would only need 4mb blocks of normal lean tx's where legacy transactions can utilise the full 4mb

also to note in LN 2 million users with LN is actually an average of each user needing 5 channels so thats 10million tx's to open and 10million to close.
which means people have to preplan and organise funds for about a 10 day lockin.

and before you rebut that blockchains cant scale.. that was like the deluded script of kodak saying digital photography cant scale because of floppy disk data limits. (look how that turned out)
if you want to doubt the limits of data and the internet. please go tell skyp that HD video calls dont work or go complain to EAgames that online gaming cant work. or speak to youtube, twitch, and other livestream sits cant work

or do the rational thing, and realise technology expands all the time and things progress as time goes on.
but whatever you do dont even try to say blockchains are broke and the only way forward is locking funds into channels(accounts) that need someone else to sign for a payment and needs every middleman and the destination to be online to accept payment.. as that is the same AND worse system than what bankers already offer

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
aliashraf
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1174

Always remember the cause!

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2018, 08:47:06 PM

@franky1

Where have you been Frank, by the way?

Nowadays, we are short of true bitcoiners, the kind of people who have not given up with bitcoin and are still committed to the cause: an electronic p2p cash system. Where the hell are other guys?

I feel so lonely sometimes here the stupid block size debate has polarized this community in the worst way ever and we are short of true bitcoin advocates, keep posting more.

As of tx/s throughput I would say like 100 tx/s suffices for near future and is achievable by few improvements definitively including
1- a block time decrease
2- using schnorr signatures
for mid term we need decentralization by getting rid of pools to be prepared for sharding.

We should never ever trust  any second layer protocol/solution for scaling or other serious issues which bitcoin is designed for. Putting utilities on top of bitcoin is not bad, actually it would be very helpful as long as such utilities are not designed to compete with bitcoin and alienate people from the core system.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
September 15, 2018, 11:31:52 PM

@franky1

Where have you been Frank, by the way?

Nowadays, we are short of true bitcoiners, the kind of people who have not given up with bitcoin and are still committed to the cause: an electronic p2p cash system. Where the hell are other guys?

I feel so lonely sometimes here the stupid block size debate has polarized this community in the worst way ever and we are short of true bitcoin advocates, keep posting more.

As of tx/s throughput I would say like 100 tx/s suffices for near future and is achievable by few improvements definitively including
1- a block time decrease
for mid term we need decentralization by getting rid of pools to be prepared for sharding.

We should never ever trust  any second layer protocol/solution for scaling or other serious issues which bitcoin is designed for. Putting utilities on top of bitcoin is not bad, actually it would be very helpful as long as such utilities are not designed to compete with bitcoin and alienate people from the core system.

1. a blocktime decrease doesnt help. it actually affects many other things and has to many impacts on other things to outweight a pro:con balance to make it plausible.
its far better to stay at 4mb per 10 min than do 1mb for 2.5min

2. schnorr sigs are useful for multisigs because it compact multiparties signatures to show as just 1 signature to hide who signs it. there are security risks as people can make a 2of 5 multisig. pretend its a 2 of 2 address and get someone to deposit funds into it (thinking they have absolute 50% control) and then the 2 of the 4 conmen sign it without the user who deposited funds knowing who actually signed it. and the transaction then appears like he consented to it. thus no legal route of recovery due to lack of proof that he didnt consent.
in a normal lean legacy payment system, you dont need dual signing or second party authorisation. thus no multisig, thus no compacting.. that was the point of bitcoin. not needing others. like i said going back to simple lean transactions is best

3. other things can be done instead, like opcodes that just need 1 sig even if there are 500 inputs from the same address.
so that if 500 different people paid into one address i wont need to sign all 500 times. but just once because its all in one address.. which is done by certain opcode not a schnorr

4. other things like new rules that if a mempool is more than 1mb but a block is less than 1mb then the pool is doing an obvious 'empty block' and thus gets auto rejected. thus ensuring pools are incentivised to fill blocks or not get a block reward. and thus help prevent pools backlogging transactions or trying to bottleneck the network by delaying confirmations of transactions by avoid adding them.. which is also a solution to one of the '51% attack vectors'. after all no one is silly enough to 51% a network just to reverse their coffee purchase. so the only 'threat' of a 51% attack is to bottleneck the network by not including tx's

5. if you want to decrease the blocktime to make it more user friendly for the 'i dont wanna wait at a cashier desk for 10 minute' argument.. well sorry but 2.5mins is just as lengthy a wait and doesnt really solve a queue build up at a retailer.
but that can be solved easily by funding a address a retailer owns(bartab analogy) and then let the retailer deduct balance internally on their system.

6. as for sharding. well thats just 2nd layer again. sharding is just LN factories of many tx's and multiple parties when you rub away alot of the buzzwording. sharding is from a banking analogy just like regional bank branches .. id say its better than reducing blocktime. but at the same time its then formalising the infrastructure into what banks do by forcing certain peoples activities being routed to a specific small pool of nodes

after all its far easier to deposit $90 into a starbucks legacy address and they just give you an in app balance of $90(30 coffee's) then to do all the convoluted effort of, make 5 LN locked channels funded with $18 per channel for good 'connectivity'/chance of success, but has the risks of channel offline situations(not able to spend $18) .. just for you to be able to buy at most 30 coffees(as long as all routes are avalable on the days after each $18 channel funds are spent).
think about it 10 onchain tx's to setup and eventualy close 5 channels. and no guarantee of being able to spend all $90.

where as just paying starbucks $90 in 1 legacy tx and they give you an inapp balance is so much easier for everyone and the network and even onchain fees

and especially with the risks that OTHER LN people will spend those $18 channel values by routing through you.. in short LN doesnt guarantee your $90 gets you 30 coffees.. but just depositing $90 (prepay) into a legacy address does

and thats the real funny part. those 'it cant scalers' think that the debate is about buying 1 coffee 3 times a day cant scale so needs offchain systems forced on everyone. when infact it just needs regular coffee drinkers to bulk buy(bartab) their coffee, but done simply using legacy transaction. rather than alternative networks requiring everyone to be online allday every day and where routing is required thus many people signing and agreeing to be part of your payment..

devs are over complicating solutions to issues they stifled and created themselves, all so they can own one of the precious future hubs/shards of nodes to get loads of fee's to repay their investors

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
vinodjax (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 05:30:07 AM

Hey franky1,

Thanks for taking the time to post here. You seem to be an old hand. I welcome your participation and I suggest to take the following comments as a friendly reasoning exercise rather than trying to find ways to disprove you. I have tried to use your own points against you. Please find my comments below.

we do not need millions a second..
think about it 1mill a second
= 60m a minute
= 3.6b an hour
= 86billion a day.
thats ludicrous

I believe by "we" you are referring to the people who share your views? Because, any great technology should benefit all of mankind and not just 7-100 people per second.

Remember Kodak?

Kodak: Nobody wants instant photographs. They want to snap them, bring them to our studio and we will deliver them and we have a great capacity! 7 photos per second combining all our international locations.

And today, we have: number of photos taken: 38,000 / second. 38 thousand per second. And taking a photo is less required than us needing to store our knowledge and value (including money) in an immutable fashion.

Just think about this : how many times in a day are you concerned about safeguarding your knowledge / value / sharing true knowledge / acquiring wisdom (knowing more about the truth) AS COMPARED TO wanting to take a photograph?

Your statement is analogous with Kodak in the way :

Why do people need 38 thousand photos per second? We will grow organically and now are supporting 7 photos per second. Very soon, we will reach 100 photos per second. It's ludicrous that people want to take 38 thousand photos per second.

Ironically, Kodak invented the first digital camera. They were just too conservative to let go of their existing cash-cow and take a tangential direction which proved to be the future.

My request to you is this: Consider all options seriously from a value perspective (in terms of value added to society) instead of us taking sides.

first of all visa stats and mastercard show that people on average do 45 transactions a month. which is 1.5 a day
obviously bitcoin is not as acceptable as visa/mastercard. so for now we should be working on less than visa and scale up as we go.

Visa / Master card support about 45,000 tx per second. If you are talking only about payments, maybe 45,000 should be enough as an average. But, in my opinion, immutable data has a lot more applications than simply acting as a mint.

so with that said. we dont need a 86BILLION tx a day network we dont even need a 8.6 billion tx a day network. because not everyone is going to use bitcoin everyday right now.

You are right about Bitcoin, Bitcoin in it's present form may do just well with 100 tx / second. My intention is to build a new network that could provide a different utility for people than bitcoin.

so forget 1m tx a second. forget 100k tx a second.

the stupid fools that think what the community are begging for are move from <7 to  >million overnight and shout out "gigabytes by midnight" , are the small minded people that never actually think rationally or logically.
i really find it funny that the onchain scalers are not screaming for millions per second. but instead steady progress over time.. and its actually the offchain people who dont understand, dont trust or have been paid to give up on blockchains that are screaming for millions per second and gigabytes by midnight as the only options.

I feel that people just find a lot of applications for Satoshi's data structure beyond payments. If it has to support all the possible applications, then millions / second is needed.

the true comunity are begging for progressive onchain rises over logical time. not huge leaps of onchain jumps or lse needing to abandon blockchain utility for some locked fed reserve network of swapping account of promissory notes

what we need to do is not let bitcoin get stifled so much that it ends up as a 0 tx a second and then just 5 mega factory TX's every 10 minutes where the LN factories swap their reserves with other factories onchain.. (bank reserve swaps) yea the devs want bitcoin to be the backend of the LN network. where reserves are swapped.. yep thats right they want bitcoin as a bankers reserve currency and where LN is the bankers payment system for their clients(channel users)

I am of the understanding that the entire vision of Satoshi is to build a payment system which can't be inflated simply by some government deciding to issue more currency or the banks / governments making bad decisions viz. Effective governance. LN is an awesome payment transfer network and I don't see how it can go bad because you still retain complete control over the transfer other than paying the fees. The world has always been value based (NO free lunch). I really don't see how LN or any payment channel or an off-chain scaling solution deviates from the vision of Satoshi or hardcore Bitcoin folks like you.

anyway we need to preserve onchain utility for normal people. that involves going back to basics. and then expand as we go too

so lets start by making tx's lean. to gt to a possible 4200tx per mb. then with 4mb being allowed by the devs. lets open the legacy limit so the full4mb can be used by such 16,800tx for 4mb.
16,800 =2million a day
(oh look the 2million users a day in YOUR 2million ideal scenario)

I would like to offer a different perspective to your view. Money was invented to keep track and to motivate people to pursue things based on their self-interest, add value to society and to reward people equivalently based on their effort. People found volatility in money (because of more printing due to government-schemes gone bad) and started investing in items which are a hedge against inflation - like real estate, gold, etc. which adjust to inflation as the market is based on supply and demand.

What do you think about also assisting with decentralization of land registers so that it adds more fuel to the entire vision / ideology? In that scenario, we will need more and more transactions.

so using actual stats from visa of spending per day. 2million users would only need 4mb blocks of normal lean tx's where legacy transactions can utilise the full 4mb

also to note in LN 2 million users with LN is actually an average of each user needing 5 channels so thats 10million tx's to open and 10million to close.
which means people have to preplan and organise funds for about a 10 day lockin.

There are ~7 billion people on this planet. if you need mass adoption, then you need to provide everyone an equal opportunity to be on the system. Each of these people will want to transact to consume food as a bare minimum. That's 7 billion transactions per day needed already, assuming that we wish to realize Satoshi's vision.

I agree with the locked amounts causing an entry barrier. The solution I am proposing doesn't require everyone to have locked transfers.

and before you rebut that blockchains cant scale.. that was like the deluded script of kodak saying digital photography cant scale because of floppy disk data limits. (look how that turned out)
if you want to doubt the limits of data and the internet. please go tell skyp that HD video calls dont work or go complain to EAgames that online gaming cant work. or speak to youtube, twitch, and other livestream sits cant work

Ok, I understand your analogy. And I understand the importance of keeping an open mind. Here are my views for the same.

Let's breakdown your analogies :

1) the deluded script of Kodak saying digital photography cant scale because of floppy disk data limits. (look how that turned out)

So, the above issue was resolved because compact disks were invented, mobile phone cameras came into the picture and many more. I agree that technology expands all the time.

2) please go tell skyp that HD video calls dont work or go complain to EAgames that online gaming cant work.

These companies were simply present at the right place at the right time. They came in with their products after internet latency was reasonably down. The businesses that came earlier when internet latency was high simply went out of business.

It matters whether the chicken came first OR the egg.

You have to understand, deep down, the masses don't care about the technology, only about it's application - otherwise it would be the scientists who will be the wealthiest people in the world. While wealth is not the defining trait of success, in my opinion, I think the real winners in the world are scientists.

Now, let's think more about the the time-chain technology?

I am going to focus more on block-chain / time-chain rather than bitcoin itself.

The trust of the entire system comes from people reaching consensus by expending energy on proof of work.

So, the improvements we are needing for a natural progression are :

1) Internet latency becomes better / decreases significantly so that propagation of blocks is going to be near instant.
2) Storage / computing power becomes more. (Now, this is relatively more easy).

One can choose to wait for these changes and focus on existing systems (like Kodak did) or one can take a different direction / approach into actually changing things.

Besides:

Remember, money was invented so that people can effectively trade without wasting time on negotiations and on building an integrative society where people can focus on their strengths instead of understanding everything in order to trade fairly.

Imagine everyone in the world wasting 10 minutes waiting to transfer money to someone? That's a lot of productivity and hence value that's lost from the ecosystem. I believe that's the end goal of any scaling solution: To make faster transfers available.

or do the rational thing, and realise technology expands all the time and things progress as time goes on.
but whatever you do dont even try to say blockchains are broke and the only way forward is locking funds into channels(accounts) that need someone else to sign for a payment and needs every middleman and the destination to be online to accept payment.. as that is the same AND worse system than what bankers already offer.

I agree that technology expands. But that begins from people like us having conversations like the one we are having here and someone gets an idea, a vision from that and builds upon it. I am happy to be reasoning with you here.

With that being said, I don't agree with your statement that LN is worse than bankers. Satoshi's / decentralization's vision is simply to make things transparent and decentralized. Banks are still a closed system. LN is NOT. And bitcoin or most cryptocurrencies for that matter can easily be audited, so nobody really has an edge. If there are LN nodes doing transfers, that's mainly because it's a free market and they don't need to secure a license by going through a lot of compliance and due diligence checks and it's still in line with the whole vision / idea.
aliashraf
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1174

Always remember the cause!

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2018, 09:53:15 AM

1- a block time decrease

1. a blocktime decrease doesnt help. it actually affects many other things and has to many impacts on other things to outweight a pro:con balance to make it plausible.
its far better to stay at 4mb per 10 min than do 1mb for 2.5min
Block time decrease outweighs block size increase in many aspects including and not limited to reducing mining variance and helping with decentralization.

2. schnorr sigs are useful for multisigs because it compact multiparties signatures to show as just 1 signature to hide who signs it.
Schnorr signatures are more compact and easier to verify plus their inherent support for multisig.This schema is mathematically proven safe.

6. as for sharding. well thats just 2nd layer again. sharding is just LN factories of many tx's and multiple parties when you rub away alot of the buzzwording. sharding is from a banking analogy just like regional bank branches .. id say its better than reducing blocktime. but at the same time its then formalising the infrastructure into what banks do by forcing certain peoples activities being routed to a specific small pool of nodes
Disagree. Sharding is not second layer. Every shard is a public consensus based blockchain and is secured by accumulative work.  The thing is we have not a matured sharding proposal in hand and we are not ready because of centralization of mining that makes it absolutely insecure for sharding to be operational. Right now with just one shard (the main chain) we live in the edges of centralization with multiple shards it would be a nightmare.

after all its far easier to deposit $90 into a starbucks legacy address and they just give you an in app balance of $90(30 coffee's) then to do all the convoluted effort of, make 5 LN locked channels funded with $18 per channel for good 'connectivity'/chance of success ...
Right to the point. Recurring payments are among the least important challenges for bitcoin to get mass adopted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are right about Bitcoin, Bitcoin in it's present form may do just well with 100 tx / second. My intention is to build a new network that could provide a different utility for people than bitcoin.

I feel that people just find a lot of applications for Satoshi's data structure beyond payments. If it has to support all the possible applications, then millions / second is needed.
A universal machine has an inherent problem: decidability. We all remember disasterous Ethereum DAO hack.

To be more focused, I suggest taking into consideration that we are discussing in a consensus based decentralized system context. Bitcoin is an instance of such a system, the first instance actually and with a specific application segment: monetary systems.

I have always been a believer in decentralization of social structures but after bitcoin I started to understand that freedom does not happen simultaneously in every single aspect of social life and we need to start from somewhere and patiently wait for consequences and the domino effect,  we should start from money.

The greatest achievement of Satoshi was not PoW and bitcoin, identifying monetary systems as the most strategic and geopolitical battle field was. Technology comes after vision. As a bitcoiner I believe in Satoshi vision that implies both feasibility and importance of decentralization of money.

I appreciate your courage and passion for a more general and bigger application domain but I think money is not just money we are talking about the focal point of almost every socio-economic process in modern society.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: