Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:59:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin loss  (Read 1711 times)
rotrott (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 12:44:04 PM

I'm sure this has probably been discussed, so please point me in the direction of those threads if it is true.

What happens if the value of a bitcoin reaches a level where it's easy for an entity to buy a large chunk of them and then send them into oblivion?  Could the system sustain a loss of 5 million coins?  At what percentage loss would the system be unusable?

Also, if we lose just 1/5th of a percent bitcoins per year (due to mistakes and what not) we will lose half the available coins in 210 years. (I hope my math is correct Smiley)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2011, 01:06:18 PM

The system could survive on one bitcoin...or a half a bitcoin...or a tenth of a bitcoin.  At some point it might be desirable to shift the decimal point, but the system would be just fine.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 01:34:12 PM

If a huge amount of bitcoin is lost, the existing bitcoins will definitely be worth more.  There will be only 21 million bitcoins in the world.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 01:36:23 PM

bitcoin stackexchange has a very complete Q&A on this topic

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/q/1638/307
rotrott (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 01:42:57 PM

Thanks!  I didn't do the math on the number of discrete units are in a single bitcoin.  I knew it was a lot, but not 210 trillion.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 01:44:13 PM

The system could survive on one bitcoin...or a half a bitcoin...or a tenth of a bitcoin.  At some point it might be desirable to shift the decimal point, but the system would be just fine.

Although, if the world is running on one or two coins and pricing things somewhere in the region of nano-satoshis - a suddenly discovered stash of an old coin or two would certainly be a disruptive shake-up to the economy!

At some point the fear/risk of surprise injections of coins may be enough to warrant a push to migrate to a new chain.
I cringe at the idea of invalidating old coins that haven't moved in years (think political prisoners locked up for 30yrs etc), but perhaps some mechanism could be built in to limit the rate at which old coins could be spent, based on the overall transaction volume; so that if the proportions are large there is at least some delay/warning when previously assumed destroyed coins are coming back into the economy.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2011, 02:19:54 PM

Although, if the world is running on one or two coins and pricing things somewhere in the region of nano-satoshis - a suddenly discovered stash of an old coin or two would certainly be a disruptive shake-up to the economy!

At some point the fear/risk of surprise injections of coins may be enough to warrant a push to migrate to a new chain.
I cringe at the idea of invalidating old coins that haven't moved in years (think political prisoners locked up for 30yrs etc), but perhaps some mechanism could be built in to limit the rate at which old coins could be spent, based on the overall transaction volume; so that if the proportions are large there is at least some delay/warning when previously assumed destroyed coins are coming back into the economy.
Good point.  The good news is that the more valuable a bitcoin becomes, the less likely it will be that people lose them.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2011, 04:19:20 PM

Thanks!  I didn't do the math on the number of discrete units are in a single bitcoin.  I knew it was a lot, but not 210 trillion.
One bitcoin has 100 million units (which can be increased with a protocol modification). The 210 trillion figure was the total number of units in all coins for a hypothetical scenario where 90% of coins are lost and there are 2.1 million coins.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2011, 08:40:28 PM

I'm sure this has probably been discussed, so please point me in the direction of those threads if it is true.

What happens if the value of a bitcoin reaches a level where it's easy for an entity to buy a large chunk of them and then send them into oblivion?  Could the system sustain a loss of 5 million coins?  At what percentage loss would the system be unusable?

Also, if we lose just 1/5th of a percent bitcoins per year (due to mistakes and what not) we will lose half the available coins in 210 years. (I hope my math is correct Smiley)

if lost coins becomes a problem we will simply start mining them back!

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2011, 08:44:28 PM

What happens if the value of a bitcoin reaches a level where it's easy for an entity to buy a large chunk of them and then send them into oblivion?  Could the system sustain a loss of 5 million coins?  At what percentage loss would the system be unusable?

Correct. Quantum computing should be capable of finding those "lost" coins by the time it becomes an issue.

Still around.
Akemashite Omedetou

Activity: 84
Merit: 13

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2011, 10:51:56 PM

Something like this will probably get implemented in the coming years. Bitcoins are not very useful for long-term storage right now anyways, because of the volatility of the price. Noone even knows if the bitcoins are going to be around for another year... I mean, cryptocurrency as a concept is not going anywhere, but what if an alternative implementation comes along that everybody will like and switch to? Contemporary clones lie ixcoin, i0coin and such are just a pathetic pump-and-dump schemes, but what if a truly innovative currency will come along?

If that is so simple, why don't you start mining them right now? There are plenty of lost coins out there.

Correct. Quantum computing should be capable of finding those "lost" coins by the time it becomes an issue.

Cool story, bro!  Wink

Bitcoin Fog: Secure Bitcoin Anonymization

---
Creedy: Die! Die! Why won't you die?... Why won't you die?
V: Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: