Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:02:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: btcrecover problem  (Read 168 times)
marineralpha (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 07:56:47 PM

Hey guys,

Not sure if I'm in the right forum or not here but I was wondering if anybody had any success using btcrecover?

I am trying to get into an old blockchain.info wallet and it seems like people have had success using btcrecover so I have given it a go.

I made a new wallet to test it out and put my exact password in the token file but when I run the check it comes back "password search exhausted" but I know that it is definitely the correct password

Can anybody shine some light on this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Initscri

Activity: 1540
Merit: 759

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2018, 08:34:32 PM

Hey guys,

Not sure if I'm in the right forum or not here but I was wondering if anybody had any success using btcrecover?

I am trying to get into an old blockchain.info wallet and it seems like people have had success using btcrecover so I have given it a go.

I made a new wallet to test it out and put my exact password in the token file but when I run the check it comes back "password search exhausted" but I know that it is definitely the correct password

Can anybody shine some light on this?

This would probably be better off in the Bitcoin Technical Support category (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=4.0)

Nonetheless, the software looks to be targeting situations where you don't know your entire password/seed, but know a portion of it. For example, maybe a piece of paper gets partially destroyed and you only know 75% of the password/seed.

From your situation, it sounds like you're entering the entire password (or what you think it is), and it's returning password search exhausted because it tries the password (& tries extensions of the password), and it doesn't work.

Try entering certain portions of your password seperately (not what you think it is entirely), and try those instead.

See the basics section on:
https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#btcrecover-tutorial

Hope this helps!

----------------------------------
Web Developer. PM for details.
bimbie

Activity: 185

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 08:53:56 PM

I heard it already but I don't have much knowledge with that,I want to try to use also as they say it's a success using btcrecover.thank you for the link provided.

▰▰▰   MODULE   ▰▰▰
▐▃ CRYPTOECONOMIC ECOSYSTEM ON A CLOUD STORAGE NETWORK ▃▌
https://modltoken.io/
Initscri

Activity: 1540
Merit: 759

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2018, 09:39:44 PM

I heard it already but I don't have much knowledge with that,I want to try to use also as they say it's a success using btcrecover.thank you for the link provided.

If you don't have any knowledge of the software & can't add anything to the convo, don't post. Saying 'thank you for the link' isn't a valid reason to post and is just spamming a thread for your sig.

Web Developer. PM for details.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 10:30:38 PM

This would probably be better off in the Bitcoin Technical Support category (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=4.0)

This one, don't bother with any program. Blockchain support can identify you and your account and give access.
For future remember not your address not your coins. Be your own bank next time.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
September 11, 2018, 10:43:28 PM

This one, don't bother with any program. Blockchain support can identify you and your account and give access.
For future remember not your address not your coins. Be your own bank next time.

if he has a valid email address registered, he can request for wallet ID reminder but not the password
if he has mnemonic seed (backup phrase), he can recover his wallet with the 12 word backup phrase
other than that blockchain support can't help him much Lips sealed
OP mentioned "an old blockchain.info wallet", how old is it? pre HD wallet?

I think you are supposed to supply partial password not the exact correct password

marineralpha (OP)

Activity: 6

View Profile
September 12, 2018, 06:59:32 AM

Thanks for the replies guys!

I have already tried it by putting the password on separate lines and ran --listpass (gives you a list of possible passwords) and found my password on the list which is why it is really bugging me. I have double checked by logging back into blockchain and it is definitely the correct password.

I followed this guys YouTube video on how to use btcrecover to brute-force the password:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMtW8vIHHek
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: