Bitcoin Forum
July 11, 2024, 10:22:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Chile consider fairly stable and safe?  (Read 1700 times)
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 10:25:33 PM

Venezuela seems to have serious problems.
Is Chile considered fairly stable and safe?
For the Libertarians they have a Galt's Gulch
http://galtsgulchchile.com/
with organic farming.

AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:36:32 AM

If copper doesn't collapse in a global economic implosion.

I wouldn't invest now. Wait.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:38:17 AM

Chile is a well-run economy and has generally had a stable political structure

Low on corruption, a little higher on free-market capitalism than most other south american countries

AnonyMint

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:55:44 AM

Chile's political stability has been historically dependent on the price of copper.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 07:12:28 AM

...and a climate similar to sunny So Cal.
It sounds fairly stable and safe....watch for falling copper.

AnonyMint

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 07:40:23 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2014, 09:13:21 PM by AnonyMint

...and a climate similar to sunny So Cal.
It sounds fairly stable and safe....watch for falling copper.

And worse earthquakes with tsunamis. It also has the climate range similar to Baja, Mexico all the way to Canada. And the water swirls the opposite direction down the toilet bowl.

One positive about Argentina and Chile is the snakes are not poisonous, but other things are such as this crazy tiny spider (or perhaps I am thinking of Brazil) that can kill you. Then again there is a tree frog here in the Philippines that spits in your eye and blinds, but I've been lucky to avoid them thus far (although I almost went looking at one when someone grabbed me and informed me of the danger).

The most important thing is the cultural adaptation to a new country is not easy for most people. Most highly underestimate this. I speak from decades of experience of adjusting to another country from my birth place USA.

Edit: be wary about land rights outside of the metropolitan areas especially south of Santiago, as there are many areas where the natives still dispute land rights and you can end up in a mess. For the same reason, never buy land in Patagonia, Argentina.

In short, if something is cheap, there is probably a good reason. The again, I punted on a $25,000 acre size property on the beach near La Paz, Baja, Mexico in 2001 and you can't get anything there now for 10X that price. But I believe the bubble is coming near to its collapse.

The copper doesn't fall from the sky, but their economy is something like 50% dependent on the price of copper. Mono-economies are very unstable. Don't let the current $150 trillion global debt balloon lull you into a false sense of stability.

zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:39:33 PM

This might help you to make an idea if chile is safe
http://kindles7reasonsofchileanliving.blogspot.ro/2012_10_01_archive.html

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:41:58 PM

As long as there is no military coup, Chile can be considered as safe and stable. But I have to warn that military coups do occur frequently there.
AnonyMint

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:08:28 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2014, 09:25:34 PM by AnonyMint

Sorry to see my prophetic upthread warning came true again. But looks like this 8.2 quake wasn't too deadly.

My main worry about Chile is the economy is so dependent on copper. And copper is going to crash in price, because:

• Massive oversupply of manufacturing due to $223 trillion global debt bubble, and exacerbated by China running a Yuan peg to drive their fixed capital investment share of their GDP from 30% to 60%. Can you spell C-O-L-L-A-P-S-E?
  • $223 trillion global debt bubble collapse again
  • Everything tangible will become incredibly devalued in the Knowledge Age Economy coming

I don't know how Chile will transform.

Also there are two Chiles, the affluent and the mestizos who don't integrate with the economy. And they cause trouble with land rights, etc..

Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:12:36 AM

Sounds less than ideal.
However, the same can be said for the USA.

niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:34:46 PM

Sounds less than ideal.
However, the same can be said for the USA.

Chile isn't a nuclear power , nor has the military power needed to keep the country afloat when it will be near bankruptcy.

One little difference Smiley

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 04:27:15 AM

Think yes
Progressive and pretty good governance
Run by a billionaire though aren't they?

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 04:30:24 AM

It is a fairly stable country some remnants of Tension exist between the strong right and left wings of the country which are in part due to the legacy of the Pinochet era and the transition from a Presidential dictatorship to a democratic system but overall other than that it is doing well.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
AnonyMint

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:16:47 AM

It is a fairly stable country some remnants of Tension exist between the strong right and left wings of the country which are in part due to the legacy of the Pinochet era and the transition from a Presidential dictatorship to a democratic system but overall other than that it is doing well.

Until the copper price implodes. Then you will see the lurking social inequities in Chile burst in out into the open as civil unrest and political chaos, just as we are seeing elsewhere in the world.

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:40:04 AM

Until the copper price implodes. Then you will see the lurking social inequities in Chile burst in out into the open as civil unrest and political chaos, just as we are seeing elsewhere in the world.

True that is the flaw of a country strongly dependent on a single resource
The resource curse/Dutch Disease in action

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 04:12:44 PM

Recently, Chile has tried hard to lessen its dependence on copper exports. The government has succeeded in attracting foreign investment to the forestry and agricultural (including dairy farming) sectors. Currently, Chile is the world's fifth largest exporter of wine and the eighth largest producer. The fishery sector is also growing at a steady price.
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 05:39:22 PM

I would say generaly speaking yes they are but I'm sure there is a lower standard of living  generally speaking compared to say America or Canada for example.  I know of someone who has moved there a few months ago doesn't seem like he is unhappy just adjusting to the differences in environment.
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:06:34 AM

I would say generaly speaking yes they are but I'm sure there is a lower standard of living  generally speaking compared to say America or Canada for example.  I know of someone who has moved there a few months ago doesn't seem like he is unhappy just adjusting to the differences in environment.

Well as long as your fairly careful and speak the language you should be fine
The problem with poorer countries is that some people are scared for good reasons and live in gated communities
As a result this rich poor divide becomes more evident and they condition themselves to live with a sense of fear for the poor

AnonyMint

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:16:42 AM

Recently, Chile has tried hard to lessen its dependence on copper exports. The government has succeeded in attracting foreign investment to the forestry and agricultural (including dairy farming) sectors. Currently, Chile is the world's fifth largest exporter of wine and the eighth largest producer. The fishery sector is also growing at a steady price.

Still a resource based economy, not a knowledge based. Resource based economics will plummet in relative value in the Knowledge Age.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:34:49 AM

Still a resource based economy, not a knowledge based. Resource based economics will plummet in relative value in the Knowledge Age.

Then you will have to admit that most of the Latin American nations (Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru.etc) are resource based economies. Other sectors such as IT / Banking / Services will never get big there.

Knowledge based economies need huge investment in education and encouragement from the government. These nations don't bother much about it. 
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: