Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:02:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I user to monitor all my miners from one location?  (Read 1360 times)
mackminer (OP)

Activity: 348
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 04:48:32 PM

I'm using cgminer - is smartcoin the only option. Spent some time messing with it before to set it up. I'm not really that motivated to set it up at the moment. Anything simpler?

I'll research smartcoin again now in the meantime....

Thanks.

1BFf3Whvj118A5akc5fHhfLLwxYduMmq1d
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 07:00:48 PM

I'm using cgminer - is smartcoin the only option. Spent some time messing with it before to set it up. I'm not really that motivated to set it up at the moment. Anything simpler?

Thanks.

Bamt has been working great for me. the mgpumon utility is a wonderful way to see that everything is working at a glance. It's a snap to setup (under 10 minutes) and runs all of my machines.

BAMT forum post -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28967.0
mackminer (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 07:51:01 PM

Thanks.

Bamt has been working great for me. the mgpumon utility is a wonderful way to see that everything is working at a glance. It's a snap to setup (under 10 minutes) and runs all of my machines.

We you on ars previously? - your setup is in my head from the pictures I have seen. Just wondering why you switched to this new pool - just had a quick browse to the site and it's looks like it's just starting off. It's hard to understand how it works though...

mackminer (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 07:53:13 PM

Thanks.

BAMT looks interesting but those munin plugins don't allow you to zoom in on the charts for a closer look. I find that annoying.

jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 08:34:07 PM

We you on ars previously? - your setup is in my head from the pictures I have seen. Just wondering why you switched to this new pool - just had a quick browse to the site and it's looks like it's just starting off. It's hard to understand how it works though...

Yes, I was on ars previously. The DGM payout method is better because it is more like PPS in that the pool owner will cover some of the variance. Ars has also been having stability issues of late and that hurts profits.

BAMT looks interesting but those munin plugins don't allow you to zoom in on the charts for a closer look. I find that annoying.

I never look at the charts. The features that are most valuable are monitoring over ssh with mgpumon, email notification of issues, being able to switch the entire farm over without changing every config and the ease of setup. It took me hours to setup a windows system. BAMT is setup in minutes.
mackminer (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 09:05:38 PM

Yes, I was on ars previously. The DGM payout method is better because it is more like PPS in that the pool owner will cover some of the variance. Ars has also been having stability issues of late and that hurts profits.

I never look at the charts. The features that are most valuable are monitoring over ssh with mgpumon, email notification of issues, being able to switch the entire farm over without changing every config and the ease of setup. It took me hours to setup a windows system. BAMT is setup in minutes.

Yeah ars has been having issues but I'm using their second server since today which has been fine. I'll have to look into this DGM method...What your saying isn't clear to me though? You say it's more like PPS because of the variance, yet, you say it's better without giving the reason?  Smiley

jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 10:24:41 PM

What your saying isn't clear to me though? You say it's more like PPS because of the variance, yet, you say it's better without giving the reason?  Smiley

Sorry for not being more clear.

Straight PPS == the pool owner takes all of the variance risk
PPLNS == you take all of the variance
SMPPS == when the pool is lucky, btc is held back for unlucky times but the pool does not share in the burden if it is very unlucky, miners must dig themselves out of the hole
DGM == the variance is shared between the pool owner and miners

http://yourbtc.net has also implemented poolserverj correctly so my stales are like .04% and they have a working implementation of merged mining which is extra profit.

mackminer (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 04:25:02 PM

What your saying isn't clear to me though? You say it's more like PPS because of the variance, yet, you say it's better without giving the reason?  Smiley

Sorry for not being more clear.

Straight PPS == the pool owner takes all of the variance risk
PPLNS == you take all of the variance
SMPPS == when the pool is lucky, btc is held back for unlucky times but the pool does not share in the burden if it is very unlucky, miners must dig themselves out of the hole
DGM == the variance is shared between the pool owner and miners

http://yourbtc.net has also implemented poolserverj correctly so my stales are like .04% and they have a working implementation of merged mining which is extra profit.

I'm just trying out this yourbtc pool now, can you mine just bitcoin. I still don't know why I should care about namecoin.

jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 04:53:49 PM

I'm just trying out this yourbtc pool now, can you mine just bitcoin. I still don't know why I should care about namecoin.

Merged mining allows for you to do the same work but get paid more. Probably the one and only reason I care. Smiley

yourbtc.net will automatically sell the nmc and convert it to btc for you anyway, so it's like mining bitcoin alone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: