Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:29:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buy more GPU or go in FPGA ?  (Read 936 times)
inexus (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 01:25:43 AM

Ok everybody i bought 40x Rx 580 8GB + 10 GTX 1070. 3 months ago...

the profit was pretty cool ... now the hashrate just destroy it .. im making around 0.045$ profit by card right now ( mining ETHASH ).

I would like invest $20 000 (CAD) more ... but im afraid now ... i just need FPGA card coming ... and evrything .. what my best option ? Buy MORE GPU or look for those FPGA card ?

*** I STIL DIDNT ROI MY FIRST INVESTMENT FOR THOSE 50 GPU WILL NOT COMING SOON TOO WITH MY $20/day.
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2018, 02:04:23 AM

Ok everybody i bought 40x Rx 580 8GB + 10 GTX 1070. 3 months ago...

the profit was pretty cool ... now the hashrate just destroy it .. im making around 0.045$ profit by card right now ( mining ETHASH ).

I would like invest $20 000 (CAD) more ... but im afraid now ... i just need FPGA card coming ... and evrything .. what my best option ? Buy MORE GPU or look for those FPGA card ?

*** I STIL DIDNT ROI MY FIRST INVESTMENT FOR THOSE 50 GPU WILL NOT COMING SOON TOO WITH MY $20/day.

Thats a pretty serious investment. I'd suggest you read the more discussion here on the altcoin mining forum as a lot of other members have discussed the pros and cons of continuing mining with GPUs, FPGAs, or even ASICs.

Personally, if it was me with that sort of hardware, i'd definitely sell the GPUs now and try to get as good a price on it. The next question about whether or not to invest more into mining and buy FPGAs is the real question. Not many FPGAs have materialized yet and there are lots of scams so be careful.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
inexus (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 02:27:01 AM

So what ... Just stop mining ?
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 02:36:52 AM

So what ... Just stop mining ?

Most of the research and discussion here points to that. Unless you are mining at scale with very good deals on electricity rates or have access to extremely cheap hardware, then you are just like the rest of small fish that are being pushed out of the mining scene.

Mining is becoming more centralized and profitable only for "whales." This is why we need to support more of those anti-ASIC coins like Monero.
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 03:21:28 AM

Just remember one thing, you still have 50 GPU as your asset. Yes, the value of your GPUs will decrease time over time. What you need to do is optimizing what you have, if you want to stay. You can start with learning more about mining profitability such as algorithm choosing, coins choosing, calculate profitability yourself. Or, you can use auto-switch mining, let's say Awesomeminer or other similar things, to make it easy.

Buying some other stuff that you think more profitable than your current mining stuff isn't the solution, moreover in an uncertain situation like nowadays. Except you were able to sell all of the previous mining stuff.

For now, you just need to focus on what you have already rather than add more mining stuff.
crypto4pizza

Activity: 102

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 03:44:31 AM

Bad time to scale the operation any bigger imo.  Profits are too low unless you have near free electricity so risk vs reward is heavily tilted one way.
inexus (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 03:52:52 AM

Actually im mining MOAC coin .. on comining. i think this coin can get 200%-400% in couple months ...

If you have better suggestion let me know.

So what now buy massic GPU ? and try stay in the game ?

And im in Canada, quebec ... paying like $0.05CAD kw/h
HE[A]RTLESS

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 03:55:12 AM

i think vga is right way

when market problem every coin get low like this day  you can sell vga card
jillscarbrough

Steady State Finance

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 04:57:55 AM

Actually im mining MOAC coin .. on comining. i think this coin can get 200%-400% in couple months ...
If you have better suggestion let me know.

If you been doing proper research on the coin and believe that coin will grow as you expected, then why not? Even if it fails, you have experience in the future. Winners aren't people whose never fail, but people who never quit. (wise mode on)

So what now buy massic GPU ? and try stay in the game ?

I think you can stay, and focus on the mining tools that you have already. You just need to increase your mining skill and experience. Buying new stuff isn't a good idea.

And im in Canada, quebec ... paying like $0.05CAD kw/h

$0.05CAD equal to $0.038, right?
Oh man, with that electricity cost, I believe you can do more, you can get a better profit than another miner. My electricity cost even three times at yours.

FatAnt

Activity: 86

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 05:33:15 AM

Adding a few Squirrel Acorn 215+'s for your ten GTX 1070's could be worthwhile.  You might want to upgrade the mainboards that host your 1070's as well.  The Acorn FPGA's are supposed to give a +30% hash rate boost for some algos.  
jillscarbrough

Steady State Finance

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 05:58:00 AM

Adding a few Squirrel Acorn 215+'s for your ten GTX 1070's could be worthwhile.  You might want to upgrade the mainboards that host your 1070's as well.  The Acorn FPGA's are supposed to give a +30% hash rate boost for some algos.  

Yeah, Acorn 215+ for 1070 and also CLE-101 for 580 was a great idea and some Nest X2G.

Is it really worked? Have you tried these GPU boosters? I just heard Acorn 215+ from my friend who's bought it, but it's doesn't arrive yet, so I've never see and tested it directly.
huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2018, 06:45:36 AM

Yeah, Acorn 215+ for 1070 and also CLE-101 for 580 was a great idea and some Nest X2G.

Is it really worked? Have you tried these GPU boosters? I just heard Acorn 215+ from my friend who's bought it, but it's doesn't arrive yet, so I've never see and tested it directly.

None have shipped yet, but that is supposed to change any day now. Maybe wait a few weeks and see what the real world effects of the Acrons are. Might be brilliant, might be 'meh' given the bear market.

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
markiz73

Activity: 1190
Merit: 641

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 07:10:45 AM

The author, if you had asked about investment in mining 3 months ago, I would have dissuaded you.
It is better to invest in the crypto currency, but you need to understand that this is a very risky investment
I would not buy FPGA or Acorn 215+ now. It will pay off very long
akirafes

Activity: 231
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 07:18:13 AM

GPU all the way. And Titan V ftw
jillscarbrough

Steady State Finance

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 07:50:41 AM

-snip- 

None have shipped yet, but that is supposed to change any day now. Maybe wait a few weeks and see what the real world effects of the Acrons are. Might be brilliant, might be 'meh' given the bear market.

Yeah, Bart.
My friend said, estimated arriving in the middle of this month. But the problem is, shipping cost to my place a bit expensive , $199 for shipping & handling, it means a half more from CLE 215's prices.
inexus (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 01:04:01 PM

I seen that cle booster yesterday .. My question are if i buy adapter can i add 2-3 booster on 1 rig ? That can be way more profitable .. And my goal was mine in btc value 0.1 btc a week .. Minus my elec cost. That why i want upgrade .. I have cheap elec .. Alot of place (i can host 400gpu easy) and i have the cooling system .. But the thing are in 3 months my profit drop of 50% .. That pretty crazy.
melpheos

Activity: 557
Merit: 5

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 02:49:17 PM

Right now, i wouldn't do any investment toward mining.
You should wait to see what's going on with legislation in particular.
jillscarbrough

Steady State Finance

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 02:56:01 PM

I seen that cle booster yesterday .. My question are if i buy adapter can i add 2-3 booster on 1 rig ?

It should be can, but I'm not sure since I haven't tried it directly.

And my goal was mine in btc value 0.1 btc a week .. Minus my elec cost. That why i want upgrade .. I have cheap elec .. Alot of place (i can host 400gpu easy) and i have the cooling system.

Oh ic, I understand your goal. You want to reach your weekly target, right? So you want to add more mining tools to achieve it.

You've experienced on this (in the short period):

But the thing are in 3 months my profit drop of 50% .. That pretty crazy.

How if it happens again when you add more mining tools? I still believe you can optimize what you have currently. Decision is yours
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 03:49:25 PM

With the market condition we have right now, I would really take time to consider if I really would want to purchase any more mining equipment right now. Too big of a chance to lose big amounts of hard earned money really quickly.

lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 04:29:09 PM

Let's get this clear. GPU earrings are shit and will continue to be that way for the next year or two until market recovers. Too many people overbought gpus . If the market recovers, people will  just turn gpu rigs back on thus suppressing profits. That's what I'll be doing.

With fpga you got a huge edge as less people have them and hash per dollar is many x times better than GPU. Requires to pay for these in crypto which most people won't do in bear markets.

Any retarded gamer kid will just use credit card to buy more GPU if they see a recovery,  and mine with parents free electric and always rekt your GPU profits. They will brag to their gamer buddied how they got a free rtx2080 and they will copy him.

GPU mining is for tards
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: