Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:36:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Analysis of posts by senior members to improve the quality of forum content  (Read 217 times)
Direwolve735 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 232

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 05:35:05 PM

I don`t know if something like this was suggested earlier, but I didn`t face such an offer, so please listen to my inference. In the Meta branch, the issue of increasing the amount of spam on the forum has been repeatedly raised. This annoys a large number of forum participants, especially senior members who remember the times when the forum really met its original goals and the main idea of an administrator. Between the newcomers, who write garbage posts, and the forum's leaders, the conflict unfolds, as they pursue different goals. And this abyss is only growing, because so far there have been no decisions regarding these problems taken by the forum administration.

Nevertheless, this problem badly affects the chances of conscious newcomers "to break into the light". Very often their posts go unnoticed not only because of the huge amount of spam, which eclipses almost all worthy comments, but also simply because those, who profess the true aims of bitcointalk, mainly focused on the Meta branch and Serious discussions, where newcomers find it difficult "to win through" because of their inexperience. Their posts aren`t read by others, they almost don`t get merits and feel pretty lost on the forum, because they don`t understand what and how to do. I think this situation is extremely problematic, as many beginners have the potential, which only few of them are able to develop independently, without the help of other participants.

I consider our task as a forum-community to help them in this. Yes, I know that many of you will say that they just need to read more, take interest in news, improve English and write more interesting posts. I agree with all this, but these general phrases are only clear to those, who have already achieved something on the forum. For those who have just started to delve into the cryptosphere and the features of bitcointalk, they are meaningless, because they leave behind a huge number of unanswered questions, the main one of which is "what specifically I need to do in order to improve the quality of posts?".

Almost all senior members of this forum are self-taught. I`m also one of them, because noone has ever explained to me what and how to write, so that the community will hear and accept me. Even now, I worry about every post I've written, because I don`t know how it`ll be perceived by other members and whether it was useful to them. So I can imagine how people feel when they don`t understand what they are doing wrong, and why their posts go unnoticed or give in to severe criticism.

What do I propose? I think that it would be useful and effective to create a special fixed topic in which each member of the forum could leave a statement for review and analysis of his posts (not all, of course, let`s say, the last 15-20. I think this will be enough for the overall picture). Senior members of the forum will review the history of comments of this member and write their wishes for improving posts, express constructive criticism. However, recommendations for improving the quality of posts should be practical, specific and unambiguous. For example, instead of saying the general phrase "improve your English", you need to make a specific note with reference to a certain post in which the sentence was built incorrectly. For senior members, this will give an opportunity to express their wishes and clarify what exactly they would like to change, and for beginners it`ll help to correct specific deficiencies and become better. Senior members for such "work" could be rewarded with rerits by merit-sources and admins (nothing else comes to mind as a reward).

I think that clear, understandable remarks, a description of concrete steps to improve the quality of posts and an explanation of what specifically needs to be corrected, would reduce the number of garbage posts that are often written not intentionally, but because of ignorance and inexperience. I would very much like the community to feel responsible for the newcomers and for the quality of their comments. This would help newcomers write better content and create an atmosphere of mutual support at the forum.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitChipper

Activity: 896
Merit: 290

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 05:46:56 PM

Have you seen this thread?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2850321.0

Most of the topics were designed for post review for a possibility of merit, although most of them are closed now.

I know Jet Cash has some good tools for people to improve their English and posting activity. Ya, I'm sure a lot of good post get lost in all the muck, but I think that if someone really wants to learn and get better through this forum they will over time.
Direwolve735 (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 06:32:58 PM

Have you seen this thread?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2850321.0

Most of the topics were designed for post review for a possibility of merit, although most of them are closed now.

I know Jet Cash has some good tools for people to improve their English and posting activity. Ya, I'm sure a lot of good post get lost in all the muck, but I think that if someone really wants to learn and get better through this forum they will over time.

Thanks for the link to this thread!
Yes, I agree that most people eventually learn, but we could help them and guide the newcomers. They would learn much faster and write much higher quality posts, listening to the recommendations of senior members.
Flodner

Activity: 1960
Merit: 350

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2018, 06:37:37 PM

I think that this is good idea, especially for those who have time and desire to help.
May be here you can find other enthusiasts and then create this separate topic. I think not only Senior members can do it, but Full members like you.
I don't think it will improve situation by quantity, I assume most of people will continue to write small simple posts and wonder why don't they get merit. But for some people it might be really helpful.
So good incentive, I'll see how it will develop, may be I will join it too

Direwolve735 (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 06:40:34 PM

Why would you worry about posting your own opinion/knowledge, unless you've no idea about the topic or have controversial opinion.

I'm not saying that I write posts when I have no idea about the topic or I'm not sure about their relevance. I meant that sometimes other participants understand differently what you wanted to say. I don`t consider myself an expert who has already achieved everything. I continue to study and develop.

But Senior member don't have obligation/responsible to help newcomers.

Of course, senior members have no obligation to beginners. But if they helped the younger members, for the latter it would be easier to adapt and they could make a greater contribution to the development of the forum.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2018, 06:57:53 PM

I don't read the threads promoting other threads, and I'm not sure why people do.

Also, I'm not sure why new members don't take advantage of the help that so many members offer. Fit to Talk averages between 30 and 50 views in most 4 hour periods, but very few people are posting there, and taking advantage of the English practice potential. You don't have to be a Bitcoin expert. Many posts are about national customs and politics, as well as English language help topics. The general section (surprisingly ) includes general topics, and my last post was about riderless motor cycles.
https://fittotalk.com/english-talk/index.php?topic=206.0

OK, that has nothing to do with Bitcoin or crypto, but if you want to improve your English, and you feel you are just a beginner in crypto, then you can use topics like these to hone your posting skills. This can help to build your confidence enough to make  interesting and helpful posts on the Bitcoin Talk boards.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Flodner

Activity: 1960
Merit: 350

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2018, 07:13:06 PM

I don't read the threads promoting other threads, and I'm not sure why people do.

Also, I'm not sure why new members don't take advantage of the help that so many members offer. Fit to Talk averages between 30 and 50 views in most 4 hour periods, but very few people are posting there, and taking advantage of the English practice potential. You don't have to be a Bitcoin expert. Many posts are about national customs and politics, as well as English language help topics. The general section (surprisingly ) includes general topics, and my last post was about riderless motor cycles.

I don't read threads promoting other threads, I write in them))

But jokes apart, this your forum can be the place where you can join efforts with Direwolve735 and others who are willing to help new members

Direwolve735, what do you think?

audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 07:30:39 PM

You have made some valid observations and gave a workable proposition to the problem you have identified but I need to mention some things. For any serious newbie who is ready to learn, there is enough to help him/her navigate through without much difficulty. This that you propose would if implemented would likely get support but only for few days after which every one goes back to status quo. Two issues I have noticed

1. Most people who complain about their posts not given the right commendation don't actually worth it. When I see such, immediately I check post history only to discover its a waste of time. I might not even make any comment on the post which means others are equally seeing but didn't see value in it.

2. You mention about reviewing of posts for improvement, what are the modalities for that? Do people submit their posts in a thread or its those senior member that go about getting posts that deserve to be merited or reviewed?
finaleshot2016
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1007

Degen in the Space

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2018, 03:37:03 AM

Your idea is possible if you will initiate on it. If you know your opinion is really a good thing to boost up good posters then what are you waiting for? And not just any Sr. members can review those but any trusted members/quality posters here in the forum. We shouldn't be formal in ranks when it comes to knowledge because intelligence is not the measurement on how you'll act here. If you want to help, go!  Grin

Also, people should know how to accept constructive criticism if they really want to improve their posting.

Many profiles want to imititate this thread and act like they really wanted to support each individuals. The @OP wanted to be unique on his/her own way so he/she is ended up with this idea.
Direwolve735 (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 06:36:06 AM
Last edit: September 14, 2018, 08:59:29 AM by Direwolve735

I don't read threads promoting other threads, I write in them))

But jokes apart, this your forum can be the place where you can join efforts with Direwolve735 and others who are willing to help new members

Direwolve735, what do you think?

I agree that the forum has some conditions and those who really want to learn can take advantage of them. But I don`t think that we should stop at the level already reached, as there are more and more people come to the forum every day (yes, most of them came here in pursuit of easy money, but there are also those who really want to study). So why not create for them even better conditions?

1. Most people who complain about their posts not given the right commendation don't actually worth it. When I see such, immediately I check post history only to discover its a waste of time. I might not even make any comment on the post which means others are equally seeing but didn't see value in it.

2. You mention about reviewing of posts for improvement, what are the modalities for that? Do people submit their posts in a thread or its those senior member that go about getting posts that deserve to be merited or reviewed?

My idea is not to encourage and help those who complain about the lack of merits, but to give an assessment and constructive criticism to those who voluntarily ask for it. I mean that people don`t always clearly know what they are doing wrong, and what exactly they need to fix. If a person realizes that there are some problems with his posts (judging by the fact that he has little or no merits in general, his posts remain unnoticed), and he "grew" to hear constructive criticism in his address, and he`s not just whining about how unfair the merit system is, he can leave aт application in a special topic where all those higher ranks who wish to participate will consider it. The latter, in turn, will have to write their comments in a clear and understandable way (the comments should be such that they will really help the person who asked for analysis to raise the level of his posts and work on correcting specific problems). For this analysis, senior members should be awarded.

Your idea is possible if you will initiate on it. If you know your opinion is really a good thing to boost up good posters then what are you waiting for? And not just any Sr. members can review those but any trusted members/quality posters here in the forum. We shouldn't be formal in ranks when it comes to knowledge because intelligence is not the measurement on how you'll act here. If you want to help, go!  Grin

Also, people should know how to accept constructive criticism if they really want to improve their posting.

Thanks, I will try to initiate this idea and maybe other forum members will support it. I know that, first of all, you need to start with yourself and thereby entice others, but I would like to be joined by members of the highest ranks, because they have a great authority on the forum, especially among beginners.

Many profiles want to imititate this thread and act like they really wanted to support each individuals. The @OP wanted to be unique on his/her own way so he/she is ended up with this idea.

I really wanted to offer something original and useful, because I see the problem that members of lower ranks don`t receive immediate advice. And I see in my idea not only help to younger members, but also a way to establish communication in the forum as a whole. The bitcointalk forum was created with the purpose of formation of the communicative network with their own values, rules and mutual aid. I don`t want the gap between the younger and older members to increase. On the contrary, we must act together to make the greatest possible contribution to the development of the forum.
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 08:46:41 AM

@Direwolve735

I was about to report your last posts based on this rule
32. Posting multiple posts in a row (excluding bumps and reserved posts by the thread starter) is not allowed.
but you are not the ordinary shitposter so I want to warn you first.
Combine all responds in one post, and delete the other two.
Go trough the RULES again to be sure that you are on the safe side.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: