Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:33:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Grow your own food  (Read 2529 times)
dank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 11:14:27 PM

There are a number of reasons you should do this and there wouldn't be a better time to get started than now.

1. Nearly all food in supermarkets are GMOs and chalk full of pesticides at the least.  Save yourself and your family the trouble of ingesting toxins.
2. Self sufficiency starts at home, if we all grew our own food we would be able to sustain our own lives even in the presence of scarcity.
3. It is both relaxing and enjoying to take a break from destroying life and creating life instead.
4. You will save money by growing your own crops.
5. The produce will be as fresh as it gets.

If you have the land to grow food, I implore you to do so.  Maybe even talk to your neighbors and promote a food sharing network between each other.

This is Switzerland, maybe it's time we did the same:

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 12:16:40 AM

My father used to do that but recently, as he got older, doesn't have the strenght to work in the garden. My dream is to be completely independent of governments and the poison they serve us, but this would require a good location, preferably with runing water, that could be also used to power a generator. Food prices are getting higher and quality drops. I read somewhere that Americans eat GMO corn in almost every meal, even drink it in their cola.

Khadaji

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 12:26:29 AM

Corn is omnipresent in quite a bit of food - corn syrup is a cheap alternative to sugar.

A few years ago, I took 4 8x6 boards, and made an 8foot square, it's my garden. The countdown is about a month away from planting tomatoes, and I already have spinach and sugar snap peas growing.

I'm a big fan of growing your food, although obviously my small plot isn't going to be more than a small percentage of my total intake.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 01:18:27 AM

Growing your own food requires work.  OP hasn't done any work for years.  OP lives at home with his parents and sponges off them.  OP IS LAZY.

This is just another thread for the forum idiot to gather attention.   Undecided

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:25:32 AM

Growing your own food requires work.  OP hasn't done any work for years.  OP lives at home with his parents and sponges off them.  OP IS LAZY.

This is just another thread for the forum idiot to gather attention.   Undecided

Do you know how to talk about the subject presented in a thread or have you not yet matured beyond the capacity of a judgmental adolescent?

Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 01:28:24 AM

Growing your own food requires work.  OP hasn't done any work for years.  OP lives at home with his parents and sponges off them.  OP IS LAZY.

Do you know how to talk about the subject presented in a thread or have you not yet matured beyond the capacity of a judgmental adolescent?

You're the forum idiot.  I've tried to have reasonable conversations with you before, but you can never understand.

Better just to inform people what you actually are before they waste time conversing with you.   Undecided

I didn't even mention the fact that you a scammer and a pathological liar....

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:35:03 AM

Wow that picture is amazing! A garden subdivision?

Can I add to your theme the option of CSA's? If you can't grow your own food you might try community supported agriculture. You buy a share of a farmers crop each year and receive weekly shipments. Then you at least control your food supply somewhat. Because our farmer is organic, we get a discount on insurance that makes it cheaper than buying grocery store vegetables.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:41:07 AM

There are a number of reasons you should do this and there wouldn't be a better time to get started than now.

1. Nearly all food in supermarkets are GMOs and chalk full of pesticides at the least.  Save yourself and your family the trouble of ingesting toxins.
2. Self sufficiency starts at home, if we all grew our own food we would be able to sustain our own lives even in the presence of scarcity.
3. It is both relaxing and enjoying to take a break from destroying life and creating life instead.
4. You will save money by growing your own crops.
5. The produce will be as fresh as it gets.

If you have the land to grow food, I implore you to do so.  Maybe even talk to your neighbors and promote a food sharing network between each other.

This is Switzerland, maybe it's time we did the same:

Nice post and great picture.

jinjuro

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:07:42 AM

I'm growing most of our food today. We have a small farm we are growing fruits, and vegetables and corn. We are also raising livestocks too. Nice post dank.
dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:29:25 AM

Can I add to your theme the option of CSA's? If you can't grow your own food you might try community supported agriculture. You buy a share of a farmers crop each year and receive weekly shipments. Then you at least control your food supply somewhat. Because our farmer is organic, we get a discount on insurance that makes it cheaper than buying grocery store vegetables.

Have not heard of these before.  Sounds fresh.  It would be nice if each neighborhood was allocated land for their own community managed farm.

Thanks for the positive comments, glad to hear some of you all are practicing this in your life already.  I would love to have some chickens and access to unlimited eggs.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 11:49:54 AM

Maybe you have heard of the "permaculture" movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpyocn1Vc5U

Its a great concept even for cities. Reading about this inspired me to make a herb spiral on our patio.

We will also make a horizontal garaden this year for some small plants to grow.
Even though there is not enough room to make a full grown (pun intended) garden, every bit helps.
Its also nice for the kids because they learn hand on where the food comes from and the plants attract small animals.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
ledmaniak

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 12:03:00 PM

Growing mostly tomatoes, peppers, herbs and peas myself. Always have enough tomato sauce for eating pasta/soup for a year and tastes a gazillion times better than store bough stuff!

Bitcoin: 1Cxi8BLvScSm1mW6kjb5MNeJZPrvAiYL6B
Litecoin: LLmjtrrq1ZeD51NSUJ8VanuQduW8Ma3jrs
rmines

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 12:06:48 PM

I also grow as much as I can myself: herbs, small tomatoes and chili peppers.
Too bad I don't own a garden so I can't grow larger crops.

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
Spare some change? 1LkqfvQTLAEiiCwTqkPRcvUdEmkCR11QDE
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 12:19:13 PM

Really? Don't you have this where you live?

In German it's called a "Schrebergarten" (at least in my part of Germany) and such big Groups of those Gardens are quite common in every town.

But they are often not used to actually grow food (at least not in large quantities), but rather to build a "relaxing zone".

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Khadaji

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:28:09 PM

Growing mostly tomatoes, peppers, herbs and peas myself. Always have enough tomato sauce for eating pasta/soup for a year and tastes a gazillion times better than store bough stuff!

I've in years past simply given away many tomatoes... but this year I'm going to can some tomato sauce... I'm sure I can find instructions online ...

(Willing to share your favorite tomato sauce recipe?)

I agree with the taste... I do a number of different varieties, and it can be quite amazing to taste the difference between home-grown and what you find at the market.
ledmaniak

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:39:21 PM

I grow yellow, red and purple tomatoes and normally I separate them by color to have different colors is sauce(much fun when people stay for dinner Grin ).

What I always do is put them raw in a pan(about 1.5 kg) and cook them together with fresh garlic, balsamic vinegar, some salt and fresh peppers(sometimes also rosemary and cumming) until they are soft enough to mash. Then I mash them, with seeds and skin(giving is a little 'rough' taste). Quickly put it hot in a sterile glass/pot, close the lid and put it upside down to cool and let the air pull the glass vacuum.

"Moon dried" is also very nice: slice the tomatoes and put them at 100 deg Celsius in an oven for 5hrs together with some olive oil, rosemary and garlic. When dried, you can keep this in some glass/pot drained in oil for about a year.

nelsonpitter

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 08:17:17 AM

This method is excellent but I think the problem of pests also present with this method.
As if we grow our food surroundings we may suffer from more insects and pests than ever and to control them we will have to us pesticides.
So we need to create balance between farming and living. My termite treatment davis team is working on home farming and we will come up with some good solutions for bio pest control.
ledmaniak

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 12:14:48 PM

I hardly have problems with pests or insects(except for caterpillars but placing a birdhouse close by to control that). Key thing is to do crop rotation every year and combine multiple types of plants to keep harming beetles/insects/pests away.

softron

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 06:42:42 PM

Nice idea, just that People living in big cities dont have land space. Its helps tough, you get lot of fresh fruits

ledmaniak

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 08:31:52 PM

Nice idea, just that People living in big cities dont have land space. Its helps tough, you get lot of fresh fruits
Even then you can grow tomatoes, herbs and other things on the balcony or indoors. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: