Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:04:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Making Electrum safe to use on computers you can't trust  (Read 801 times)
jseims (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 11:18:10 PM

A huge security problem with Bitcoin wallets is they don't protect your funds if keylogging malware exists on your computer.

I recently launched a "cosigning as a service" company, TrustedCoin, to mitigate this threat.  The way it works is:

• User creates 2 different keys (on 2 different devices, if you want to be extra careful).
  • TrustedCoin creates a 2-of-3 multisig P2SH address, where the user owns 2 of the 3 keys.
  • When anyone tries to spend coins from this address, TrustedCoin will email and SMS the user with details of the transaction, and give the user time (say, 24 hours) to cancel before signing and broadcasting it.

So if your computer gets infected with malware, the worst it can do is spam you with spending attempts.  If this should happen -- or if TrustedCoin were to disappear -- the user can combine both keys and instantly transfer funds to a new address.

Is there anyone interested in integrating our cosiging APIs into Electrum?  We also offer a 70% rev share on all transaction fees (0.0005 BTC per transaction) to the wallet developer.

API Documentation: https://api.trustedcoin.com/#/docs

Reference web wallet implementation: https://api.trustedcoin.com/wallet

Reddit commentary of this product: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1zhief/id_like_to_present_a_bitcoin_wallet_thats_safe_to/

Thanks,

Josh
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 09:53:49 AM

PM sent

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 04:32:45 AM

I described something like this service, but with the 3rd key unknown unless the service disappears or the user's key is compromised. How would you hide the 3rd key in that case?

Encrypting it with the users PGP key means that he can retrieved it any time, so there's no "green address" condition, but the user needs to be able to retrieve it somewhen.

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 04:40:16 AM

Transactions taking 24+~1 hours to confirm are useful in what cases?

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 09:12:05 AM

So I tried TrustedCoin out and I don't see their SMS authentication as being reliable. They've said that they support all countries that their gateway Twilio does but that doesn't seem to be the case. Pakistan is not supported by TrustedCoin even though Twilio supports it. I've contacted them and they don't seem to know what to do about it. Their responses have been less than confidence inspiring.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: