Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:50:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Max number of transactions one node/connection can make to the network?  (Read 671 times)
JamesHunt (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 11:57:06 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2014, 01:41:51 AM by JamesHunt

Just a quick question regarding the bitcoin protocol,

I was contemplating making an altcoin for a school project, idea is initializing addresses with 1 coin balance to start, and people would 'mine' by generating addresses and sending those coins back to another address -their main address.

However I was wondering, would it be possible to implement a limit on how many transactions 1 node/connection can make to the network? Or would there be no way to do this, and my coin would be broken due to thousands of transactions per second coming from 'miner' nodes? -Maybe there is a computational issue with this idea anyway, would one node be even able to send out that many transactions anyway?

I've had a little look at the bitcoin wiki and it states currently it can handle 7tps, what happens to other transactions, big queue? Would the queue getting huge cause no problem or can it cause problems? Would a change to the codebase be able to fix this? (Add a limit to nodes max tps) like I said above, is this possible?

Any discussion would be greatly appreicated, thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 12:14:10 AM

However I was wondering, would it be possible to implement a limit on how many transactions 1 node/connection can make to the network? Or would there be no way to do this, and my coin would be broken due to thousands of transactions per second coming from 'miner' nodes? -Maybe there is a computational issue with this idea anyway, would one node be even able to send out that many transactions anyway?
no, because nodes relay other nodes' transactions. there's no way to differentiate whether a transaction was generated by the node itself, or another node that the node is relaying for. not to mention the issue with dynamic IPs.

I've had a little look at the bitcoin wiki and it states currently it can handle 7tps, what happens to other transactions, big queue? Would the queue getting huge cause no problem or can it cause problems? Would a change to the codebase be able to fix this? (Add a limit to nodes max tps) like I said above, is this possible?
the lowest priority transactions (lowest fees) will sit as unconfirmed and eventually will be forgotten.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 12:52:42 AM

Just a quick question regarding the bitcoin protocol,

I was contemplating making an altcoin for a school project, idea giving every possible address 1 coin to start, and people would 'mine' by generating addresses and sending those coins back to another address -their main address.

Any discussion would be greatly appreicated, thanks.

Just remember "every possible address" is a huge, practically incomprehensible, number. 

Good luck with the project.  ;-)
JamesHunt (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:33:30 AM

no, because nodes relay other nodes' transactions. there's no way to differentiate whether a transaction was generated by the node itself, or another node that the node is relaying for. not to mention the issue with dynamic IPs.

the lowest priority transactions (lowest fees) will sit as unconfirmed and eventually will be forgotten.

Hmmm, thanks for clarification and ah yeah I see what you mean with point one.

Quick related question, let's say I change my idea to only give <1% of addresses 1 coin to start with (Implementing this we'll pretend is already done!). Would that solve my issue with thousands of transactions? -As now instead the 'miners' would spam 1 coin from addresses they generate, but only a fraction will have that 1. So only a fraction of transactions will be valid, less tps for the network correct?

Does a huge amount of invalid transactions weigh down a network? How does bitcoin stop someone sending millions of requests for sending coins they dont have, or is it (DDoS) a none issue?

Thanks once again, and sorry if i'm being unclear.

EDIT: @cr1776 yeah I know i'm underestimating that part, I wanna think about logistics later, -solve underlying issues first! Tongue
grue
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:00:15 AM

Quick related question, let's say I change my idea to only give <1% of addresses 1 coin to start with (Implementing this we'll pretend is already done!). Would that solve my issue with thousands of transactions? -As now instead the 'miners' would spam 1 coin from addresses they generate, but only a fraction will have that 1. So only a fraction of transactions will be valid, less tps for the network correct?
how exactly do you plan to distribute the coins to addresses? if they're issued by you, that would limit the transactions to the amount of coins in circulation. however, how do you plan to distribute the coins to the addresses? what's preventing people from generating millions of address to get extra coins?

Does a huge amount of invalid transactions weigh down a network? How does bitcoin stop someone sending millions of requests for sending coins they dont have, or is it (DDoS) a none issue?
spamming invalid transactions will lead the other peer to disconnect and ban the misbehaving peer.

JamesHunt (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:10:45 AM
Last edit: March 06, 2014, 02:29:51 AM by JamesHunt

how exactly do you plan to distribute the coins to addresses? if they're issued by you, that would limit the transactions to the amount of coins in circulation. however, how do you plan to distribute the coins to the addresses? what's preventing people from generating millions of address to get extra coins?

spamming invalid transactions will lead the other peer to disconnect and ban the misbehaving peer.

I assumed I could just make a clone but change the protocol slightly, so all addresses start with 1 instead of 0. However, obviously I can't do this to just a fraction of addresses -and I certainly can't do it manually! I'll have to think about that. -And yes, that was the flaw I was thinking with this coin, how to stop people generating in mass amounts!

Ban idea is good, however just realised won't solve my problem unfortunately. The 'miners' could easily just check the balance of the generated address first instead of push a potentially invalid transaction, might slow them down slightly -but half of 1000's tps is still to much. Thought I had a solution then, back to square one Sad Getting abit out of my depth here but I assume the only solution would be to artifically slow down generating addresses, which would mean... alot of crypto work lol -Think i'll do another project! Cheesy

EDIT: Wait, how does the network know who to ban? You said earlier there's no way to differentiate who sent the transaction (Sorry if i'm being naive)
grue
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:06:22 AM

EDIT: Wait, how does the network know who to ban? You said earlier there's no way to differentiate who sent the transaction (Sorry if i'm being naive)
only valid transactions are relayed. thus a bad peer can only send bad transactions to its immediate peers.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: